Thread: Blogs vs Forums

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Default Blogs vs Forums

I'm still deciding whether to commit to a blog. For me it is a key question of time commitment and dedication.

The key factor that holds me back is I guess the community aspect of a forum that is partially lost on a blog, since the focus is on individual thoughts, whereas a forum is oriented around discussion.

Of course some of my favourite blogs do have a community associated with them, but chances are I'm not going to have one centred around my blog. A public blog can often be an expression of identity and some of the reasons for wanting one's blog to be popular may merely be due to vanity.

But there are many motivations and reasons for having a blog, the most obvious being the same reasons as a traditional personal journal (although one that happens to be publicly viewable).

I know a number of members here do have blogs, which they dedicate varying amounts of time to. Along with Twitter, I know Tumblr has had a rise in popularity due to recent trends in smart phone use. But the type of communication in those mediums is different to that of a traditional blog.

What are your thoughts in terms of the relative merits and time commitments?

How much of your time do you spend reading or writing blogs as opposed to forum participation? Do you see this changing in the future?

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    I'm still deciding whether to commit to a blog. For me it is a key question of time commitment and dedication.

The key factor that holds me back is I guess the community aspect of a forum that is partially lost on a blog, since the focus is on individual thoughts, whereas a forum is oriented around discussion.

Of course some of my favourite blogs do have a community associated with them, but chances are I'm not going to have one centred around my blog. A public blog can often be an expression of identity and some of the reasons for wanting one's blog to be popular may merely be due to vanity.

But there are many motivations and reasons for having a blog, the most obvious being the same reasons as a traditional personal journal (although one that happens to be publicly viewable).

I know a number of members here do have blogs, which they dedicate varying amounts of time to. Along with Twitter, I know Tumblr has had a rise in popularity due to recent trends in smart phone use. But the type of communication in those mediums is different to that of a traditional blog.

What are your thoughts in terms of the relative merits and time commitments?

How much of your time do you spend reading or writing blogs as opposed to forum participation? Do you see this changing in the future?

Honestly, I've been thinking about this for a while.

I've kept one and I haven't used it in a while now as I'm consider to switch to a new one. Though I remember I did accumulate over 500 entries.

When it comes to commitment, I tried to keep an entry per day before I go to bed. Then there were times where I was so preoccupied with work and just skip for a few days.

Personally, blogspot is the easiest to use and manage. However, it's also less fancy as there weren't much options as compare to Wordpress. I think Wordpress is quite good but you do have to invest a lot of time and play around with it, especially if you're not familiar with HTML coding. I stopped that few months ago because I got hacked by accepting a few annoymous posts and then all of my contacts under my hotmail got spammed Email, some of them even got virus. As a result, I removed it and never go back. Though I really think Wordpress is quite nifty program.

I'm actually considering SquareSpace in near future as you can create a really awesome looking website to make your blog looks more professional as they have many great templates. They actually hire web designers to design them periodically. The only set back is you do have to pay for its service. I think it's somewhere around 8 or 9 USD per month for basic membership.

Wix is free and you can use it to design a professional looking website for free and it's ideal for blogging--unless you won't upload too many photos as it takes a long time for users to load your site if you jammed many graphic files per page. However, there's a limited storage space for storage unless you want to upgrade its service by paying a fee. Though I wouldn't recommended because there's no customer service. If you want a quality online customer service, I've heard SquareSpace is pretty much a decent choice.

I've also tried LiveJournal, and didn't like it so much but that's a long time ago though. I still don't know how much it has evolved recently. Tumblr is ideal as long as it's more image-focus.

Here's a side-by-side comparison if you want to know the most popular choice of blogging service provider: click here

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

The problem with Tumblr is that Google has a chip on its shoulder with regards to indexing posts. I was considering it after I discovered you could enable comments via Disqus.