User Tag List

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the reason behind your avatar pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    that Rene was an ENTP?
    He was one of those people who think that by talking about words you are talking about the world, so he was probably a Ti-user.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    He was one of those people who think that by talking about words you are talking about the world, so he was probably a Ti-user.
    I often use words to make sense of the world and define it.
    If it is a Ti trait, how very perceptive of you to have noticed such a trait.
    +1 Nic.

But Rene is typed more often than not as an INTJ.

<< It's proper and boring, but it's actually a souvenir that symbolizes a lot of important things in my life. I like it that it doesn't mean anything to anyone else

4w5 sp/sx EII

Certified Sausage Smoker Array Elfboy's Avatar
    5w4 sx/sp
    SLI None

it's the holiday season so I wanted to share the holiday spirit with some sexy christmas shonen ai
    Last edited by Elfboy; 11-27-2011 at 04:43 AM.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

I tend to choose avatars that are abstract, or odd juxtapositions of elements, and are aesthetically pleasing to me. I change them every month or two. My old snake and rose av was from a Harry Potter fan site, and a nod to my favorite character from the series. My current one, a man holding a ring over the rising full moon, was from a set of photos my SO's mother emailed us, all using the full moon as an item in the photo (e.g. ball being thrown from one person to another). I like the change of perspective that comes from including the moon as a foreground element, "interacting" with things and people. The one straightforward exception was several avatars ago:

This is the French scientist Gustave-Gaspard de Coriolis (1792-1843), my "user-namesake".
    Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it. We should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open. -- Raistlin Majere

There is this old thread:

and my post in it:

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Mine is a termite cathedral.

It is the image from:
    Emergence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The ability to reduce everything to simple fundamental laws does not imply the ability to start from those laws and reconstruct the universe..The constructionist hypothesis breaks down when confronted with the twin difficulties of scale and complexity. At each level of complexity entirely new properties appear. Psychology is not applied biology, nor is biology applied chemistry. We can now see that the whole becomes not merely more, but very different from the sum of its parts."(Anderson 1972)
    I am fascinated by how simple things come together in simple structures to create extrordinarily complex things.

That is also linked to my username "ygolo," which is "ology" backwards. "ology" is the suffix meaning "the study of." This studying (for me) is analysis. But once the basic principles are known, reconstructing the orginal thing that was studied is a daunting task in itself. It is one task I find quite fascinating. It is the reverse of analysis--synthesis.

Just as simple termites, with simple mound building abilities can construct a "cathedral," simple elements can be used to make amazingly complex things.

"More is different."
    I don't change my avatar or username, because, even though I have been here a while, I am no that frequent a poster.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

649 sp/sx

Attachment 6993
    Because I love the Vocaloids, but then again, who doesn't?

5 sp

Crows and ravens are cool. They are misunderstood by most,feared by some and loved by those who learn to understand them. I don't plan on changing this avatar.
    Smile! Now!

Some people are like Slinkys.
    Useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

We are the music makers,and we are the dreamers of the dreams.

End of line.

4w5 sp/sx

Been thinking about thanksgiving leftovers.

I changed mine because it struck me with some serious hair envy.