User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Crescent Fresh View Post
    Sorry, it was indeed a poorly-phrased question.

What I meant was if our nominations will be taken account seriously for possible moderator candidates?

Just curious, that's all!
    I'll add to Jen's answer that it is in no way, shape or form a popularity contest....but how people are perceived here is still useful information to know, to add to the overall picture of someone.

And yes, anyone who wants to be considered needs to submit a serious application in the right forum - nomination here doesn't mean anything official at all. But we encourage everyone who thinks they'd be a good candidate to apply, whether or not you're nominated here. It's certainly not a stroke against anyone who isn't "nominated".
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'll add to Jen's answer that it is in no way, shape or form a popularity contest....but how people are perceived here is still useful information to know, to add to the overall picture of someone.

And yes, anyone who wants to be considered needs to submit a serious application in the right forum - nomination here doesn't mean anything official at all. But we encourage everyone who thinks they'd be a good candidate to apply, whether or not you're nominated here. It's certainly not a stroke against anyone who isn't "nominated".
    Yeah, screw democracy. Come on the side door is open for those who know what to do what they are told. ;-)
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

yep, that's exactly what I said
    -end of thread-

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I've been a praised, fair-minded, active and loved moderator on several forums before.

...It's a trap.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Who would ever do such a thing?
    Oh, you know me... I'm just all crazy when it comes to my whimsical speculating.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Crescent Fresh, can you plse remove my name off the list since I don't have any interest in becoming a moderator?

Of the runners, my vote goes to uumlau. He appears to be an INTJ who's mature enough to balance T and F and also, one who's capable of compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    How would you propose to make that happen, seriously? (I'm curious.)
    It would certainly be nice... but unlikely.
    It seems typical for anyone in an authority position to be both used as a role model as well as scrutinized as a potential hypocrite.
    You just stop caring about it. If you are accused of not behaving like a role model, you point out that what is important are the rules, not how each moderator behaves. If you are accused of breaking the rules, the other moderators look into it as they would with any other user.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    If you're referring to the modbox, that's actually what already happens. There's a lot of checking and balancing going on.
    I was referring to the whole forum. For example, Patches should not ignore what you say in this thread simply because you are an administrator. In other words: The rules apply to everyone.

I don't think it's about whether anyone is a bad person.

It's whether their behavior could be reasonably construed as breaking the forum rules.
    A 'bad person' is someone with the inclination to break the rules.

I think you straddle that line rather well, but I agree with others that I wouldn't want to see you become more cautious in your approach because you've become a moderator. If we adjust our notion of role model from a goody-two-shoes to someone who's able to tell it like it is without doing something that could reasonably be construed as breaking the forum rules, then I'm sure we'll be fine.
    That should be possible. If not, then perhaps the rules should be adjusted.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    You just stop caring about it. If you are accused of not behaving like a role model, you point out that what is important are the rules, not how each moderator behaves. If you are accused of breaking the rules, the other moderators look into it as they would with any other user.

That should be possible. If not, then perhaps the rules should be adjusted.
    Wait, what makes you think this doesn't happen already?

This is exactly what does happen, other than we can't help but be conscious of our own behaviour more than non-mods, and most of us stay further away from the line than we would otherwise. But there isn't a formal rule that we have to obey different rules than other members.

edit: mods are under more scrutiny for sure, though. Members expect us to be "better" than regular members. I never had a post reported in the >3 years I was here before I was a mod, and I've had several of my posts reported in the year since then, even though I've toned my intensity down a lot, and even though the posts were blatantly not breaking the rules (not just my opinion). It's just what happens. I don't waste time worrying about it, it's to be expected.
    -end of thread-

Wait, what makes you think this doesn't happen already?
    I am not saying that it does not happen already. I merely go through the possible scenarios.

This is exactly what does happen, other than we can't help but be conscious of our own behaviour more than non-mods, and most of us stay further away from the line than we would otherwise. But there isn't a formal rule that we have to obey different rules than other members.
    Jennifer still seems to feel confined.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm just saying it's not a formal confine, it's a natural human thought pattern (both for mods and for members). i.e. see my edit
    -end of thread-