User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Thumbs down stuff that "grownups" should apparently know

the more stupid grown up things that I have to do, the more aware I am that I truly suck at doing them because they require an attention span a bit longer than that posessed by the average beta fish or something... and I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one on here who sucks at being an adult... however, I do have faith in the board here that SOME members might know the solution to the issues presented and that they MIGHT be nice enough to explain some of this stuff!

how to realize when the bastard at the auto garage is overcharging you

I took my car in last december to get all new tires, breaks and a new wheel bearing because it was sounding fairly shitty when I was driving it around and stopping and such. I paid $1,500 for all of that because I have no clue what things on cars cost. I bitched about it to my dad because I really don't like being parted from my money and he told me that the price sounded a little high to him, so I spent the past several months asking auto garages that I was signing up for work what THEY thought about it... the universal agreement was that I had paid WAY too much and that it was probably because I'm a girl AND I refer to car parts as "that part that makes the thingie that does ___ work properly"

obviously I need to learn this stuff unless I want to spend the rest of my life getting overcharged... unfortunately, it isn't stuff that I find to be the slightest bit interesting... how do you prevent yourself from overpaying out of ignorance on car repairs?

how to do laundry properly

apparently I suck at doing laundry too... to the point that the man will not allow me to do laundry here because I tend to either shrink it or turn the entire load into an interesting experiment in tie dye. This is apparently bad

I'm vaguely aware that different things like different temperatures and should be washed with certain other things to prevent bad things from happening... how does one learn these mystery laws of laundry? does dry clean only actually mean that I have to take it to a dry cleaner? can you UN-tie dye clothing?

how to feel like a grown up instead of a kid playing grownup while dressing up

I really feel like a 6 year old who just raided mommy's closet every time I get dressed up for work... corporate attire just seems so serious and grown up to me that I don't feel like it should really exist in my wardrobe, let alone should I be wearing it a majority of the time in which I'm dressed :horor:

does this get any easier? how do people manage to do things like sit properly in a skirt or actually wear panty hose without even having to think about it? does this come more naturally to some people than to others?

there's just a couple of things that I'm hoping that people have solutions to there... if anyone else wants to throw stuff on the list I might know the answers to a few of them even!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    yupp

Eating healthy, why eat healthy when there's junk food?

and 2nd whatever's list

getting the bottom sheet on the bed, i don't know why but no matter what i do i can't get the bottom sheet on my fucking bed.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    the more stupid grown up things that I have to do, the more aware I am that I truly suck at doing them because they require an attention span a bit longer than that posessed by the average beta fish or something... and I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one on here who sucks at being an adult... however, I do have faith in the board here that SOME members might know the solution to the issues presented and that they MIGHT be nice enough to explain some of this stuff!

I took my car in last december to get all new tires, breaks and a new wheel bearing because it was sounding fairly shitty when I was driving it around and stopping and such. I paid $1,500 for all of that because I have no clue what things on cars cost. I bitched about it to my dad because I really don't like being parted from my money and he told me that the price sounded a little high to him, so I spent the past several months asking auto garages that I was signing up for work what THEY thought about it... the universal agreement was that I had paid WAY too much and that it was probably because I'm a girl AND I refer to car parts as "that part that makes the thingie that does ___ work properly"

obviously I need to learn this stuff unless I want to spend the rest of my life getting overcharged... unfortunately, it isn't stuff that I find to be the slightest bit interesting... how do you prevent yourself from overpaying out of ignorance on car repairs?
    fair enough

apparently I suck at doing laundry too... to the point that the man will not allow me to do laundry here because I tend to either shrink it or turn the entire load into an interesting experiment in tie dye. This is apparently bad

I'm vaguely aware that different things like different temperatures and should be washed with certain other things to prevent bad things from happening... how does one learn these mystery laws of laundry? does dry clean only actually mean that I have to take it to a dry cleaner? can you UN-tie dye clothing?
    it helps, but if I could outsource laundry to an old immigrant woman and never have to do it again myself, I would take the opportunity in a heartbeat

I really feel like a 6 year old who just raided mommy's closet every time I get dressed up for work... corporate attire just seems so serious and grown up to me that I don't feel like it should really exist in my wardrobe, let alone should I be wearing it a majority of the time in which I'm dressed :horor:

does this get any easier? how do people manage to do things like sit properly in a skirt or actually wear panty hose without even having to think about it? does this come more naturally to some people than to others?

there's just a couple of things that I'm hoping that people have solutions to there... if anyone else wants to throw stuff on the list I might know the answers to a few of them even!
    this one I blatantly disagree with. being excited about going to work and being able to get dressed up is a GOOD thing. it shows a number of positive traits about yourself that I don't see why you would want to disparage
    - childlike enthusiasm: being an adult =/= being serious and boring all the time, especially for 7s
    - caring about one's physical appearance is becoming increasingly frowned upon by today's hipster dominated society, but it is a sign of confidence, high self esteem and self expression
    - you are proud of yourself because you're thinking "yay I get to dress up, go to work and be productive". you SHOULD feel good about yourself for that
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ESFJ

My questions ..

How to come across as vulnerable without looking too feely/clingy/needy in a relationship?

How to make friends and not just acquaintances?

1 - Don't you work in Sales? Never take the first price someone offers you, shop around for a better deal. Or get a bloke to come to the garage with you (even if he doesn't have a clue either).

2 - If it's colours, throw it in together .. Cool, quick wash will do it. Whites in seperately.

3 - I haven't mastered this one, lol. I want to look grown up but still feel like a little girl. I need to power dress.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Getting the bottom sheet on the bed, i don't know why but no matter what i do i can't get the bottom sheet on my fucking bed.
    What a pain in the ass, along with duvets. I find the best way to put it on is to stay calm.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

If it makes you feel any better $1,500 doesn't sound all THAT crazy for new tires, new brakes and a new wheel bearing. I mean, you could spend $1,500 on tires alone depending on how many tires and what quality they are. And brakes? You could spend a lot of money on brakes, it depends on what you had done. New pads/shoes all around? New pads/shoes and new rotors/drums? Wheel bearings can range from fairly inexpensive (simple rear wheel bearings on a front-drive car or front bearings on a rear-drive car) to very expensive (front hub-bearing assemblies on some four-wheel-drive vehicles can cost $250-$300 for one assembly alone, let alone the labour).

I'm vaguely aware that different things like different temperatures and should be washed with certain other things to prevent bad things from happening... how does one learn these mystery laws of laundry?
    Read the labels!

does dry clean only actually mean that I have to take it to a dry cleaner?
    YES!

can you UN-tie dye clothing?
    No!

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I didn't get several relationship-related memos that most other grownups seem to have received long ago.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    getting the bottom sheet on the bed, i don't know why but no matter what i do i can't get the bottom sheet on my fucking bed.
    I solved that problem a LONG time ago. Now I don't even own sheets.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    My questions ..

How to come across as vulnerable without looking too feely/clingy/needy in a relationship?

How to make friends and not just acquaintances?
    ooh... my solution to the first is to keep up my charade of invulnerability with the knowlege that I really, really suck at a few basic things (like telling left from right )... when those facts arise that works as appearing vulnerable without actually having to have any acting ability OR appearing to be clingy! in other words, be yourself

and the second one is definitley worth wondering

and @prplchknz ... the easiest way to get bottom sheets on is to buy striped bottom sheets so that you know what direction they go on
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    I solved that problem a LONG time ago. Now I don't even own sheets.
    Yeah? I don't even own a bed!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Yeah? I don't even own a bed!
    Haha...god I'm so jealous!