User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

people's voices lie, but their body language and mannerisms rarely do... half the time what seems like "intuitions" to me about what someone else is thinking at any given moment is really my brain picking up on background visual indications otherwise. I trust those, even if I did not explicitly see them, because they haven't steered me wrong yet
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Somewhat trust Ni as an aux for Te, although it needs to be fact checked. I don't trust it when it's going mental with inferior Fi.

MBTI
    ESFJ

In my last relationship i never trusted my intuition even when i knew something was wrong. I was too trusting. Now days i listen to my instincts, but i also look for other information so to fully evaluate the situation.

I will give people the benefit of the doubt, once .. But when i start seeing a pattern then it's time to walk away.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    K...what I've noticed is that when I WANT something, it clouds my "intuition." Strongly wanting (or hating) something can cloud any real, valid judgement of that person or thing. They even tell you this in New Age books about psychics and so forth, but it really is true. You feel strongly a certain way about someone or something, in terms of WANTING or REJECTION, and your intuition can be waaaaaay off. Embarrassingly so. You just wanted it or feared it.
    I think Marm is on to something here.

Intuition can be very reliable. Extremely so. But if you're "intuiting" about something that strongly affects you, emotionally, where desire gets in the way, your intuitions are untrustworthy.

For the most part, I trust people. If my intuition says I shouldn't trust, and I otherwise don't give a damn, I trust my intuition.

If my desires are in play, it's more difficult. Sensory and direct evidence can say "trust", while intuition says "distrust." In that case, I do both. I go the "trust" route, but I'm prepared for the "distrust" path.

If it's "about money", I always distrust, even with those I love. Those whom one loves and one loves in return can still abuse money, even if in an innocent, nonthreatening way. One close family member of mine became rather notorious for asking to borrow some money just to get by. Eventually, word got around to the rest of my family to not loan any money to that particular family member. Interestingly, it took someone fairly new to our family to remedy the situation, where the money was lent, but it was made very clear that legal action would be pursued if it were not repaid. I don't think that family member has asked to borrow money since then.

For my part, I mostly don't give a damn about money, but experience has shown me that other people do, a lot, so if anyone is asking for money, or trying to sell me something, no matter what it is, I work with an assumption of distrust.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

MBTI
    STP

Neither. Suspicion and mis-trust will rob you of far more than any person could. Assume the best, and enjoy your life, and you'll find your own fears of what other people have or could have done control you more than letting them "get away" with it.

Those that lie, and those that steal, give up far more than they get. The more you do this, the more you'll find these people seem to weed themselves out of your life. Also, you will attract and keep the people who add to your life.

Let us be honest, we would not ask this question if we were not somewhat afraid of something... some answer, or some consequence. And since we are afraid of something, fear is the matter at hand here.

What is the nature of fear? We rarely realize it, but fear steers us directly into what we fear simply to satisfy itself. We prefer this because at the very least the outcome we fear is the outcome we can expect. And there is something strangely comfortable about getting what you expect.

But is that what you really want? To trade the chance at something, anything better, for what is terrible with the assurance that it meets your fear-drive expectations? If we are really honest, many people would admit, yes. And that is, frankly, the most terrifying thing of all.

Many will say the answer to this is to be courageous and face your fears, and that certainly seems like a virtuous thing to do, but steering yourself directly into what you fear has no different result than avoiding them vehemently and ending up with exactly what you feared would happen, besides giving you a feeling of satisfaction that you overcame the feeling. This, however, is essentially the same thing as the sense of comfort one has when their fears happen exactly as they expected. There is only one real solution: fear not.
    Good intentions are not enough.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    INFj

Whenever people are involved I can never seem to find the sensitivity I need to understand my intuition, so I end up just trusting what they say. : /
    Everything that I express is simply an opinion with varying levels of support

If I seem like a different type to you, I hereby give you permission to type me however you want.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    I think Marm is on to something here.

Intuition can be very reliable. Extremely so. But if you're "intuiting" about something that strongly affects you, emotionally, where desire gets in the way, your intuitions are untrustworthy.

For the most part, I trust people. If my intuition says I shouldn't trust, and I otherwise don't give a damn, I trust my intuition.

If my desires are in play, it's more difficult. Sensory and direct evidence can say "trust", while intuition says "distrust." In that case, I do both. I go the "trust" route, but I'm prepared for the "distrust" path.

If it's "about money", I always distrust, even with those I love. Those whom one loves and one loves in return can still abuse money, even if in an innocent, nonthreatening way. One close family member of mine became rather notorious for asking to borrow some money just to get by. Eventually, word got around to the rest of my family to not loan any money to that particular family member. Interestingly, it took someone fairly new to our family to remedy the situation, where the money was lent, but it was made very clear that legal action would be pursued if it were not repaid. I don't think that family member has asked to borrow money since then.

For my part, I mostly don't give a damn about money, but experience has shown me that other people do, a lot, so if anyone is asking for money, or trying to sell me something, no matter what it is, I work with an assumption of distrust.
    @bold... very good point. I shall think on this...

That's my name biotch! JoSunshine's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNfj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Sensory and direct evidence can say "trust", while intuition says "distrust."
    I experience this often...it makes me feel like a crazy person sometimes I was seeing a guy for about a month and all the sensory stuff was right on - called regularly "just to hear my voice", asked me out well in advance of the day he wanted to see me, made sure I got home safe (if he didn't pick me up), told me that he wasn't interested in dating anyone but me (and gave me all the reasons why), answered any question I asked without so much as a pause - perfect...too perfect. My gut was screaming "Player! Player!", but when I would tell my friends this, the only reasons I could give is that he acted like he liked me too much and I felt like it was an act. Of course, they told me I was nuts and to just be thankful and enjoy it. That is until my friend saw him out at a club with a girl this past Saturday night when he was supposedly at home doing laundry and dealing with "family issues".

My gut is never wrong. Yeah, sometimes I think I'm crazy, but ultimately, it turns out I'm not.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. " - Dr. Seuss
    I can't spell...get over it

Slightly ENFJ, totally JoSunshine
    Extroverted (E) 52.5%........Introverted (I) 47.5%
    Intuitive (N) 65.63%..........Sensing (S) 34.38%
    Feeling (F) 55.56%............Thinking (T) 44.44%
    Judging (J) 51.43%............Perceiving (P) 48.57%

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

You cannot ask a liar whether they are lying and expect them to tell you the truth.

So if your intuition keeps pinging, trust it and act accordingly.

What you need to measure is how far you are willing to put yourself out there. If it happens you are correct and you continued to force yourself to act against your intuition, are you going to be white-hot pissed off and bitter and accusatory, etc. if it turns out you were right? Or will you say "Well, trust is good. I trusted. It doesn't matter that I was lied to," and keep on moving. If you can shrug things off easily, you can afford to go along for awhile. If you can't and you know you will feel betrayed, etc., then do what makes your gut stop pinging.

Glycerine

Keep it at the back of your mind. Use some precautions/safeguards just in case they are lying. If you feel as if you are making up a whole bunch of excuses as to why they can't be lying and the anxiety level rises, there is a cause for concern to trust your intuition. I know when I sense something off, my senses get heightened and I start to tense up. Along with direct evidence and the pattern seeking, I notice my physiological state changes. Typically, I would say that I am fairly calm, trusting and give people benefit of the doubt and I keep getting burned by not listening to what my body is telling me.
    Last edited by Glycerine; 10-01-2011 at 07:36 PM.