12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Default How far off are we

from getting our brains "mapped" a la Dario Nardi's book to determine our preferred forms of thinking?

Maybe not to the same degree of ease as an internet test, but relatively readily available to those who seek it out?

What do you think?
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

In terms of using EEG, this technique is always going to lack both sensitivity and specificity due to the lack of both resolution and the unsophistication of the model involved.

That said, it is possible for us to start doing this right now, all you need is enough funding to get a large enough sample size and go to town with the data analysis. (and then replicate the model on several new cohorts)

Recently there was a paper which showed it was possible to image neurons in 3D in realtime. If we were to combine data from this technique along with synthetic neural network models, we may ultimately be able to derive a much deeper theory of personality. (or not if it turns out to simply be too chaotic).

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I think the technical reality is a bit more difficult. The main problem would be the analog to digital conversion.

If we can measure and map neurons firing that still doesnt help us to understand how a personality is formed from that. If you for example have a digital thermometer it works that way that a material for example platin does change its electrical resistance if the temperature changes. When that happens the current flowing thru it will change and that signal interpreted gives us the temperature.

regarding the human brain tho there is still a gap between electrical impulses to personality
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    If we can measure and map neurons firing that still doesnt help us to understand how a personality is formed from that.
    That's why we'd try to build testable models, no?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

well you can build all the models in the world but you'd need content. I wouldnt even know where to start. how is my personality formed from electrical impulses ? I mean they are either on or off, have a puslewidth, a voltage and a current and can be interconnected in trillion different probabilities.

Now what ?

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Neuronal behaviour is likely a little more sophisticated than that (to start with, given the variety of neurotransmitters and their associated kinetics).

Nevertheless, regardless of the scale of the model (neuronal, molecular or quantum) we can start exposing the model to stimulus and start gathering data.

A personality has to form somehow right?

We are obviously not there yet, but I still think experiments like the Blue Brain Project will lead to important insights.
    http://boingboing.net/2011/05/11/blu...project-b.html (some insightful comments there too)

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Hey something has to be done definitly otherwise we'll be stranded clueless.

I'll read up on the links when I am home from work.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    That said, it is possible for us to start doing this right now
    Oh, I know it's possible already; I'm talking about it becoming available & affordable for an average person. How long til we have conventions, a la MBTI & Enneagram workshops, where people can have their brains mapped & analyzed (like Nardi's study)? It can already be done to an extent, but how long until it's a business of sorts & accessible to almost anyone?
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    It can already be done to an extent, but how long until it's a business of sorts & accessible to almost anyone?
    Okay, well I'm not convinced it is mainstream enough for there to be a strong market for it. With EEG procedures costing in the hundreds of dollars, I don't see many people going for the novelty of it just yet.

ThatGirl

Cant wait, then I can tell you all...."I told you so!"