- Make yourself vulnerable to some degree, which means be willing and able to both trust and be trustworthy. Most women expect trustworthiness in their girlfriends.
- Be a listening ear.
- Show appreciation in ways that say, "I value you."
- Simple gestures or a gift when your friend is down.
- Make the effort, make time to get together, plan ahead. I've learned that commitment and planning are important ingredients.
- Respect your differences, be encouraging and supportive of each other and each other's friends.
- Pay attention, knowing when your friends need help without them having to ask, and then step in when necessary to do what's needed. Sometimes a simple, "I'm thinking about you," is enough.