User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Both Yahoo and gmail. And I've changed my password a few times. It keeps hacking it. Anything else I can try?
    While it sounds at first like it is probably your laptop, there is still a fairly good chance it's a hacker, and worth eliminating that possibility first. If you use the same password for both yahoo and gmail, and the username is the same or similar, then that would explain how the hacker got both.

When you changed your password(s), did you make them difficult to hack? The most difficult passwords are a mix of letters and symbols, especially if you put symbols in the middle. A good way to make one that you can remember is to use numbers that look like letters in the middle of words.

Also, did you change your security questions to something that would be difficult for most people to figure out or find out, even people who know you and have lived with you (like old roommates, etc)? Not that it's likely for anyone you know to do it, but if it's info your roommates don't know, it's probably also difficult to find that info anywhere on the internet or in your old paper mail that you threw away.

I would recommend changing your passwords and your security questions right away, don't email that info to anyone, and pick difficult passwords and security questions, but make them so that you can remember them.

Also, turn off all of those automatic password fillers on all of your computers, turn off the auto blank fillers, and turn off the stay logged in features on all of your computers including your cell phone. Sign in yourself every time.

Oh yeah, and clean out all of the cookies and junk on all of your computers to clear out absolutely all possible records of your passwords.

I know it's a pain in the ass, but it's worth it. I had a hacker last year that I couldn't get rid of until I did all of the above. Then I finally got rid of him. Hasta la vista, baby!!! (sp?)

MBTI
    intp

I try restoring your computer before buying a new one. Should take very little of your time. Most laptops have a restoration image already on them, and pressing one of the F-keys (depending on make/model) right as the computer is booting (before the Windows splash screen) should start the process. This will wipe the drive and set it back to the factory settings.

If you're not sure how to do this for your computer, just post the make/model of your laptop here.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm so freakin' sick of my laptop. It's slow and it has a virus, which I don't know how to get rid of and it's embarrassing, (it randomly emails people from my address book adverts ) and it's annoying the crap out of me, but mostly.. it's slow.

I want a new one.

A lightweight one that I can carry with me to school. I don't carry this one, it's cumbersome, has crappy battery life and overheats.

The problem is, I feel guilty dropping the amount of money necessary to buy a new one.

But I'm ready to do it RIGHT NAO though (like in 30 mins)!!!! My frustration is taking over. STOP ME.
    Stop yourself. Or buy a new laptop.

Then fix your current one when it's not bothering you and sell it to a chump.

Problem solved.

I'm so freakin' sick of my laptop. It's slow and it has a virus, which I don't know how to get rid of and it's embarrassing, (it randomly emails people from my address book adverts ) and it's annoying the crap out of me, but mostly.. it's slow.

I want a new one.

A lightweight one that I can carry with me to school. I don't carry this one, it's cumbersome, has crappy battery life and overheats.

The problem is, I feel guilty dropping the amount of money necessary to buy a new one.

But I'm ready to do it RIGHT NAO though (like in 30 mins)!!!! My frustration is taking over. STOP ME.
    So...what model did you buy?
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

If it makes you feel any better I'm fighting the urge to buy a Porsche.

I mean, that's infinitely stupider and more impulse-y than buying a new laptop because the old laptop has seen better days. The car I already have is only two years old and has less than 20,000 km on it.

A few anti-virus' you can try. Make sure to shut off your internet while you are doing the scanning

Malwarebytes

SuperAntiSpyware

While it scans your laptop, it may take about a day depending on how many files you have. It usually takes me about 4-6 hours to do a full scan. Usually can let it solve overnight while you are asleep, so... not a big problem.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I'm having trouble distinguishing my needs from my wants. They're too intertwined. Ideally, I'd like a free fix for this virus problem that does take too much time (which I don't have much of in the next couple of weeks, esp without a computer). The computer is required to do/turn in school work. But even if I got a fix, I'd still be wanting a laptop to bring to school. I dunno, I'm having doubts now.
    Backup your data files, then wipe out your hard disk with a fresh install of Ubuntu/Linux (download on a friend's computer if yours is too bad off.) It's free, virtually immune to viruses, and will probably run faster and more compactly than Windows, especially the newer versions.

Also follow Redcheerio's advice regarding online accounts/passwords. I do these things and have never had hacked accounts.

Bottom line: probably nothing wrong with your hardware. Use some software fixes to get the thing running right, then shop for a lightweight laptop replacement at your leisure. May be some sales upcoming for the holidays.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

ReflecTcelfeR

So.... I'm gunna say...... BUY ONE NAO!

Permabanned

If you have enough money to buy a laptop, but don't want to buy a laptop, what would you spend that money on? Whatever it is, would you rather have that plus a shitty laptop, or a new laptop?

Problem solved.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    When you changed your password(s), did you make them difficult to hack? The most difficult passwords are a mix of letters and symbols, especially if you put symbols in the middle. A good way to make one that you can remember is to use numbers that look like letters in the middle of words.
    Those are more difficult to remember, but no more difficult to hack. And if you have difficulties at remembering your passwords, you are likely to write down on paper and keep it under your keyboard (or worse, attached to your monitor). While it's just plain dumb to use passwords as '1234', 'God', 'password', etc, making the password hard to read doesn't make it any more secure against the hackers! Hackers won't try to guess your passwords, and as such "book" is just as good as "b00K", since both have four letters in them. "book" is easier to look over your shoulder, but hackers don't do that. WiFi-connections are an easy to capture and steal your user accounts. If you are using sites which do not support https-protocol, you are very vulnerable when using wifi (TypoC doesn't use, you can see that in the address bar of browser. TypoC is on ordinary http).

But back to passwords... use long password, but make them easy to remember. "WhiteHorseJumpsOverTheFence" is actually a very good password. It's rather random (just think of how many different passwords you could have of that length), easy to remember but difficult to hack.

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    Also, did you change your security questions to something that would be difficult for most people to figure out or find out, even people who know you and have lived with you (like old roommates, etc)? Not that it's likely for anyone you know to do it, but if it's info your roommates don't know, it's probably also difficult to find that info anywhere on the internet or in your old paper mail that you threw away.
    Just don't use security questions. They are a stupid idea to begin with. For example, your facebook profile is an easy way to figure out all the most common questions about your life. And people who'd like to steal your accounts are most likely people who know your life very well (angry exes, for an example). So just don't do security questions. Pick a password you can remember.

And this has nothing to do with the topic, but can't I be a rebel for once??

Okay, okay: To stop impulse purchase, you have to:

* Reflect the last time you bought something similar. Did you use that item enough? If not, then why would you use this item in question?
    * Make a mental list of occasions when you are going to need this item for sure. And be damn certain that you will use it those them. How many concrete occasions can you count?
    * And how much would one of these occasions cost you? (price of item divided by the number of occasions) Is it still worth it?
    * You have survived your life without this particular item just fine. What's different now?
    * Think what else you could get with this money you are about to spend on this. Would you rather have a great dinner at your favorite restaraunt, or perhaps go watch a movie with your best friends several times over?
    * Maybe you could get this one for cheaper somewhere else?
    * Is there anything similar I already own and could use it instead?
    * Is there something similar coming up soon, that might actually be better than this?
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla