User Tag List

View Poll Results: how many people do you speak to IRL on an average day?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 or less

43 55.84%
  • 11-20

17 22.08%
  • 21-30

7 9.09%
  • 31-40

1 1.30%
  • 41-50

3 3.90%
  • 51-60

1 1.30%
  • 61-70

0 0%
  • 71-80

1 1.30%
  • 81-90

0 0%
  • 91+

4 5.19%
First 56789 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    Actual human interaction is important, but it's difficult for me to see there being anything meaningful in the conversations that you'd have with 91+ people daily.
    I guess what bothers me is the notion that the more people you talk to, the better you know what human beings are like, which the poll seems to suggest.
    if you speak to 3 people a day you won't have NEARLY the sample size of someone who speaks to a lot more... where would stats be without sample size?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    if you speak to 3 people a day you won't have NEARLY the sample size of someone who speaks to a lot more... where would stats be without sample size?
    That's why actual studies are more valuable than anecdotal evidence.

theory is pointless if you can't even be bothered to test it out and see if it IS true or not..
    Dealing with 100+ people a day, it's easy to see that false dichotomies exist. That's why I laugh at test questions that ask if you're more interested in an idea or its realization. People in the business world do both every day. We don't know any different. One follows the other - making ideas a reality. All I can figure is the people who create those tests have no idea what goes on in real life or what people's abilities really are. If a theory falls on its face in practice, I'm not going to use it.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

have you read the data on any of the actual studies? the sample sizes are often pathetically small... and if you actually get to know more people you will realize that they can't all be described in black and white stereotypical terms either...

gee... you've gotten your feathers all ruffled about getting called out on judging what you don't really know, didn't you? the defensiveness is just kind of funny!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

I guess there is valuable information on the human condition in depth or in breadth.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Yeah, studies are valuable in the sense that they can reveal huge patterns, and no anecdotal evidence will be the end-all truth for human nature, but at the same time, human nature is so variable, growing, and unpredictable that you can't possibly have a greater understanding of it using correlations from blanket studies about blanket topics. Everyone needs to still have their own experience for personal and deeper understanding regardless. (It has it's own flaws, but, unless you're some kind of a human nature idiot savant, you're just going to be limited in your knowledge.) Without experience, views will remain shallow. Accurate, maybe. But, still limited in it's own way.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

have you read the data on any of the actual studies? the sample sizes are often pathetically small... and if you actually get to know more people you will realize that they can't all be described in black and white stereotypical terms either...
    Studies can be good or bad.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Studies can be good or bad.
    studies aren't real life though.... and neither is online interactions...

gee... you've gotten your feathers all ruffled about getting called out on judging what you don't really know, didn't you? the defensiveness is just kind of funny!
    Have you considered that you might be reading too much into The Outsider's reaction? Also, I assume he's smart enough to trust studies that do have adequate sample sizes, I'm not sure why you haven't done him the same favour. You might be jumping to a faulty conclusion here.

Anyway, DOWN WITH SCIENCE.