User Tag List

First 2425051525354 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    On the other hand, things become more significant as we approach the top of Maslow's pyramid. So the things we care about in the prosperous, democratic first world are in fact the most significant.

However it is politically correct to show a form of inverse snobbery by valuing the less significant.
    It's a paradox, it seems.

NOTICING HOW SPOILED I AM

MAKES ME FEEL SAAAAAAAAADDDDD

WhoCares

Having to make popcorn with coconut oil....it's just not right.

MBTI
    INTJ

I see the logic behind people not wanting to complain about a problem they have because there are indeed people out there with far more pressing issues, which makes their problem seem trivial by comparison. However, I don't like how some people use the battlecry of "First World Problems" as a blanket term to ignore legitimate concerns that a first world society might face. Just because the guy next door is on fire while he's eaten by a wolf doesn't mean that your being eaten by a wolf is any less of a bad morning to wake up to. Complacency will never solve anything.

Do I think that we've been spoiled? To an extent, yes. Do I think that there are people with far worse lives than I have? Very much so yes. Does that mean when I have a problem I should shrug it off as a "First World Problem"? Not if it's a problem that honestly warrants me getting upset over.

PS: Ermehgawd this new keyboard is petrified shite.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous Chinchilla View Post
    I see the logic behind people not wanting to complain about a problem they have because there are indeed people out there with far more pressing issues, which makes their problem seem trivial by comparison. However, I don't like how some people use the battlecry of "First World Problems" as a blanket term to ignore legitimate concerns that a first world society might face. Just because the guy next door is on fire while he's eaten by a wolf doesn't mean that your being eaten by a wolf is any less of a bad morning to wake up to. Complacency will never solve anything.

Do I think that we've been spoiled? To an extent, yes. Do I think that there are people with far worse lives than I have? Very much so yes. Does that mean when I have a problem I should shrug it off as a "First World Problem"? Not if it's a problem that honestly warrants me getting upset over.
    I agree with the general sentiment. However, there is a difference between "I am worried about my future" or "My tooth hurts" or "My partner is probably cheating on me" - which are legitimate worries no matter how many innocent people get massacred in a civil war somewhere right now - and the kind of stuff this thread was meant for:

In other words minor inconveniences that you usually only get mad about when you are grumpy anyway and would shrug off on a better day. That and luxury problems like "which of my sports cars should I drive to the yacht harbor today - damn, I can only sit in one at a time!"
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I agree with the general sentiment. However, there is a difference between "I am worried about my future" or "My tooth hurts" or "My partner is probably cheating on me" - which are legitimate worries no matter how many innocent people get massacred in a civil war somewhere right now - and the kind of stuff this thread was meant for:

In other words minor inconveniences that you usually only get mad about when you are grumpy anyway and would shrug off on a better day. That and luxury problems like "which of my sports cars should I drive to the yacht harbor today - damn, I can only sit in one at a time!"
    Yeah, that's what I was pretty sure the point of the discussion was in retrospect, but I have a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to how some people devalue critical issues. I'd still say that yes, there are lots of over-privileged people that complain about things that are non-issues, usually for the sake of complaining.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous Chinchilla View Post

Thank you for ending your rant with a little on-topic humor.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTJ

I have a headache from biking and not drinking lots of water.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    I have a headache from biking and not drinking lots of water.
    You know what you need? Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator! It's like a monster truck that you can pour into your face! [/Idiocracy]

I usually drink water steadily ahead of time and carry Powerade on the ride. G (the artist formerly known as Gatorade) doesn't seem to agree with me.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

the brodart i ordered is too large to properly cover my favorite first edition