User Tag List

First 41495051525361 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

That stuff drives me crazy. What was it? The old "cancer feeds on sugar" saw?

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I want to flippantly critique the "anti-cancer diet" my cousin commented on, but I lack the FB privileges to do so.
    Oh no was it the "Johns Hopkins" thing going around? That frustrated me because so many people were just blatantly sharing it on FB and it wasn't even from Johns Hopkins.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    That stuff drives me crazy. What was it? The old "cancer feeds on sugar" saw?
    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Oh no was it the "Johns Hopkins" thing going around? That frustrated me because so many people were just blatantly sharing it on FB and it wasn't even from Johns Hopkins.
    Yes! I guess the frustration for me was that these things are just absorbed and shared without anyone taking a critical look at anything. Reminded me of the KONY 2012 thing a while back. And I highly doubt Johns Hopkins is going to share their cancer research tips on a wordpress blog that can't take themselves seriously enough to spend 10 dollars a year on their own domain name.

This is why we can't have nice things.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Johns Hopkins itself actually responded to that rumor:

Cancer Update Email -- It's a Hoax!

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

My boss is bitching at me to go buy some more suits.

The most interesting problem of the first world is psychoclass.

Most of us in prosperous countries have our material needs met, and so our psychological needs make themselve known.

Here we love to type our personality so it is only a small step to type our psyche.

We can start to ask to what psychoclass do I belong, how did I get into this psychoclass, and what can I do about it?

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I've decided to get rid of all aluminum from my diet but I have a tea kettle that may be either aluminum or stainless steel. It's not magnetic; it's light and I don't see any rust spots. It probably is aluminum since I got it for about $5 but that's beside the point. Upon researching the topic on the net, I came across these suggestions:

"
    Aluminum sounds duller and has less of a ring than stainless steel. Rap your knuckles on the edge of the pot or bang it with a wooden spoon.
    Aluminum feels slightly warmer than stainless steel at room temperature.
    After being washed, aluminum tends to dull slightly, while stainless steel usually stays bright.
    Because aluminum is softer than stainless steel, a key will scratch aluminum much more readily than stainless steel.
    If a magnet sticks to the side of the pot (even weakly), it is definitely stainless steel and not aluminum. (Note: If a magnet does not stick, you still can’t tell which metal it is, but you can be sure it’s stainless steel if the magnet does stick!)"

How to Tell the Difference Between Stainless Steel and Aluminum

I've thought of 2 other solutions but one involves expensive equipment (getting a portable XRF analyzer) and one involves ruining the kettle (dissolving it in concentrated HCl). I should just throw it away.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

The frustration you feel when you're grocery shopping and there's too much to choose from.
    (60 kinds of cereal, are you serious?)

The abundance--rather than lack of--food.

When WiFi doesn't work on your phone.

When you worry about coordinating your outfit, even though you're just going to the beach.

Starbucks coffees are too big.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    The most interesting problem of the first world is psychoclass.

Most of us in prosperous countries have our material needs met, and so our psychological needs make themselve known.

Here we love to type our personality so it is only a small step to type our psyche.

We can start to ask to what psychoclass do I belong, how did I get into this psychoclass, and what can I do about it?
    That's true. It's like Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, where we approach the top of the pyramid.
    Yet, there are many people nowadays in the West suffering from poverty.
    I feel my vision is tinted by my first-world, middle-class lens, which can make me care about things that,
    in the grand scheme of things, really aren't so significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandemeria View Post
    I feel my vision is tinted by my first-world, middle-class lens, which can make me care about things that, in the grand scheme of things, really aren't so significant.
    On the other hand, things become more significant as we approach the top of Maslow's pyramid. So the things we care about in the prosperous, democratic first world are in fact the most significant.

However it is politically correct to show a form of inverse snobbery by valuing the less significant.

This goes by the name of ressentiment.

We can find ressentiment on Ressentiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia