User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default Challenge junkies

I've seen these people: addicted to challenge they are. Like they don't rest and can't feel stimulated unless they are pushing the envelope in some way. I'm not exactly talking about when someone is feeling bored and trying to push out of it, this is something different. Challenge junkies don't ever feel bored, because they are always in the midst of taking on a difficult task, voluntarily.

Are you someone like this or do you know someone like this?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I've seen these people: addicted to challenge they are. Like they don't rest and can't feel stimulated unless they are pushing the envelope in some way. I'm not exactly talking about when someone is in a state of boredom and tries to push out of it, this is something different. Challenge junkies don't really get bored, because they are always in the midst of taking on a difficult task, voluntarily.

Yes and yes.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by earthtrekker1775 View Post
    Yes and yes.
    Do you ever find it hard to find new challenges?
    What is you favorite realm to be challenged in?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Sort of, except that I haven't been challenging myself, so I'm kind of in limbo at the moment. I think that's why I'm having ADD problems at the moment. The problem is that obligations get in the way and use up my time. And the problem exacerbates itself because the things I hate doing take longer, leaving me less time available to solve the problem.

Hm, maybe I should force breaks to do things I like that challenge me, but I keep thinking I should just finish this annoying crap first....

I'm probably only a mild to moderate challenge junkie, though. I'm not one of those people who feels the need to go climb Mount Everest or anything like that. No, I just need to keep learning new things. I like pushing myself at the gym, too, but it is less of a priority.

I know an ESTP who, I believe, needs daily challenges in order to feel alive. Mostly they are of a physical nature, sometimes they are debates.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

answer soon... doing homework while holding my squirming 4-month old.
    how's that for challenge?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I've seen these people: addicted to challenge they are. Like they don't rest and can't feel stimulated unless they are pushing the envelope in some way. I'm not exactly talking about when someone is feeling bored and trying to push out of it, this is something different. Challenge junkies don't ever feel bored, because they are always in the midst of taking on a difficult task, voluntarily.
    Well, I have very little time for rest but I do when I can. I challenge myself in order to pursue the best possible version of myself before the days when my body burns out and my mind becomes infirm. I challenge myself because I have always known certain capabilities and giftings lay within this frame and could only be fully realized if I pushed my mind and body to achieve more challenging goals. I dropped out of high school because it was stagnant, boring, suffocating. I decided to push myself instead as a wilderness guide and rock climbing instructor for a few years. And travel the states and the world when it was possible.
    It varies from one to another the kind of challenge that will be pursued. Mine have been very specific. Challenge in the mental/spiritual/emotional realm, challenge in the physical arena, and challenge in the greater social sphere(the most difficult for me as an introvert). When most people think about challenge seekers they immediately think of thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. I have done a lot of that as well but primarily I seek new knowledge to me, expedition, exploration, adventure, scholarship, and service to humanity. I would love to spend all my time climbing and biking and hiking and sky-diving but that would eventually bore me as I mastered the skills and techniques required. So I diversify, I wanted to be a poet so I studied and practiced poetry - one of the most challenging things I have attempted. I think in poetry and see in poetry but I have one of the worst cases of writer's block (insecurity) I have ever seen. I wanted to develop the warrior part of my skill-set so I joined the Marine Corps Infantry and learned. I would have made a career of it but I wanted to nurture the healer aspect so I went back to college and went to medical school. Eventually I will combine all of them. Likely, it will not be a realization of the best version of me but a stepping off point for the next set of challenges.
    Challenge junkies do get bored, painfully, debilitatingly so. But only when we get bogged down in challenges that we find unnecessary or boring and can't just skip past them. I hate the endless row of hoops that I have to jump through to accomplish portions of my goals. But when I learn to love the process of the challenge as much as the victory at the finish line life gets much more enjoyable.
    I never want to be the man that says "I made it now I can relax and stop fighting".
    Someday, I or someone else will need me to be my very best, I will not disappoint them. The difficulty is keeping up the level of energy when times get so boring that I would do almost anything just to wander off into the wilderness for a few months like I used to do.
    The challenge junkies that never seem to get bored are usually those with few responsibilities or commitments and lots of free time and or money. I am not hyperactive or very spontaneous. I plan meticulously, daydream religiously and hypothesis incessantly. The challenge is bringing all that to fruition through the pursuit and completion of some plan - the more monumental and difficult the better. Hope that helps.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I find it hard to find time for new challenges while I am so utterly taxed pursuing the challenges at hand (being a good family man while completing medical school).

Middle Earth?

I guess my favorite (and also the most elusive/unpredictable) realm of challenge would be that of life and death. The battle between evil and the few folks willing to do anything about it. The downside of that type of challenge is that the majority of those who really pursue it - will do it for the rest of their lives.
    There is always someone out there training harder and more efficiently.

"On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died."
    Adlai E. Stevenson

And one of my personal favorites to remind myself that challenge is everywhere it is sought for:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

That is me-ish. It's not so much the challenge for me or the accomplishment. I just don't see the point of doing something if it's not done in a new and interesting way, and specifically, my way. This results in everything I do being harder for me than if somebody else does it. I never run out of situations to escalate in this manner, and I don't get bored. But I do get tired and I scold myself before I complain about it, since I know who is responsible.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Thanks for taking the time to share that with me @earthtrekker1775. That was an interesting read and gives me something to think about.