User Tag List

First 1234 Last

I think it's because some people need a challenge, especially a physical one. To anyone who works a job which doesn't involve physical labor, doing something like this can often be the ultimate relaxation in a balancing sense because it's opposite of what they spend 40+ hours per week doing. And that doesn't count the many hours sitting motionless in a vehicle or train.

For some of these people, mindlessly running laps around a track or endless repetitions with weights is only a small step up and not worth the effort in mental rewards.

Btw, Re: my above posts, I've only hit a low of 9F backpacking so far.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Well one person I noticed did have a physically laborious job.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Okay, I am back to wondering about this again. Still confused. I was watching a program about ultra marathon runners, like badwater.

Now I have changed my thoughts about this.... now I think they do it out of boredom.

I am especially talking about people who put themselves through pain and torture to take on this challenge, especially when it's not a necessity (i.e. it's not for survival or improved way of life for themselves or others). Now I think they get bored and it gives them something to focus on. Maybe it's partially ego too? But I think it's mostly boredom.

Thoughts?

(for the record, I'm not bothered by this, just trying to understand it)
    One of my friends is a tiny little woman who is an ultrarunner (she ran 20 miles this morning before 7:45 am just as a normal thing and she ran a 100 mile race a month ago).

I think she does it to feel strong and worthy when she might not have felt that way growing up. She's a mom who is just coming into her own sense of identity. She also works a full time job and is in grad school. I have no idea how early she has to get up to be able to run 20 miles by 7:45 am.

We don't hang out much but I don't think she has much time in her life for anything beyond work, school, parenting and running. I get the sense that she's an ESTP who burns off a whole lot of Se-scattered-energy through her running, and that makes her calm and focused for the other stuff she's got on her shoulders.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Me. I don't go for large scale or athletic challenges and don't involve other people in my challenge seeking, but I do have patterns of making everyday things harder for myself because I get a charge out of working out problems. This can be harmless, like exploring a new city by challenging myself to find the museum without a map, or stupid (and less conscious the dumber it gets) like procrastinating on projects to create a time crisis. Impatience can be involved when it comes to time: if I need to accomplish something, I'm going to get it done today, and eating and sleeping can wait. The good thing about being this way is that genuine interruptions to my plans don't upset me unless other people are being affected.

I also spend my time thinking and reading about difficult topics, having little patience for material that doesn't test my brain or values. When I have a strong opinion, I am compelled to amass information and opinions that contradict and sting it.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

so is the question, physical challenge junkies?

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    so is the question, physical challenge junkies?
    Now it is, yes.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've seen these people: addicted to challenge they are. Like they don't rest and can't feel stimulated unless they are pushing the envelope in some way. I'm not exactly talking about when someone is feeling bored and trying to push out of it, this is something different. Challenge junkies don't ever feel bored, because they are always in the midst of taking on a difficult task, voluntarily.

Are you someone like this or do you know someone like this?
    Sometimes I'm like this regarding mental challenges. Other times I'm just lazy and want to take it easy.

I'm not like when it comes to physical challenges. Physically I admit to being somewhat of a pain avoiding coward.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I used to be like that...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I've been accused of this more than once.

I didn't really consider it this way.. because failure is a bit intimidating to me (just not enough to stop me).. but I do enjoy a challenge, and I think I tend to take on more than those I know around me.

As a side question..

Does it really count if the challenge is safe? I mean.. Taking on learning a new language is a challenge, but if you fail you're no worse off (you didn't lose anything), and you can end up just simply having fun with the whole process.. do things like this even count?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

I've seen these people: addicted to challenge they are. Like they don't rest and can't feel stimulated unless they are pushing the envelope in some way. I'm not exactly talking about when someone is feeling bored and trying to push out of it, this is something different. Challenge junkies don't ever feel bored, because they are always in the midst of taking on a difficult task, voluntarily.

Are you someone like this or do you know someone like this?
    I think I'm like that, I need to have something I'm working towards, something to accomplish, a goal. All the time.