First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to share that with me @earthtrekker1775. That was an interesting read and gives me something to think about.
    You are welcome. I was thinking about how I would answer while I was finishing my studying. Hopefully it made some semblance of sense.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

I've seen these people: addicted to challenge they are. Like they don't rest and can't feel stimulated unless they are pushing the envelope in some way. I'm not exactly talking about when someone is feeling bored and trying to push out of it, this is something different. Challenge junkies don't ever feel bored, because they are always in the midst of taking on a difficult task, voluntarily.

Are you someone like this or do you know someone like this?
    Yes!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I am like that, but not necessarily on a daily basis. Sometimes I relax.

However, usually (let's say 2/3rd of my "free" time) I'm either trying to learn a new and complex idea, or a new language, or plan a new mountain ascension and doing it, or trying to solve a complex problem in a subject I'm proficient at, or trying to influence someone about a potentially world-changing perspective.

Not that these things usually work out, but it's nice and fun to try. I'm not really a dramatic and epic kind of guy...they are just like tasks I want to execute in order to improve my skills and feel alive, happy and strong.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    That's awesome! Loved the pictures. What's next?

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I am like that, but not necessarily on a daily basis. Sometimes I relax.

However, usually (let's say 2/3rd of my "free" time) I'm either trying to learn a new and complex idea, or a new language, or plan a new mountain ascension and doing it, or trying to solve a complex problem in a subject I'm proficient at, or trying to influence someone about a potentially world-changing perspective.

Not that these things usually work out, but it's nice and fun to try. I'm not really a dramatic and epic kind of guy...they are just like tasks I want to execute in order to improve my skills and feel alive, happy and strong.
    Sounds good. It's interesting to hear how you guys think.
    Do you prefer to be around other people who enjoy challenge? How do you feel about being around people who are not challenge junkies?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Sounds good. It's interesting to hear how you guys think.
    Do you prefer to be around other people who enjoy challenge?
    That depends...I like to be alone during many of those tasks because, as bad as it may sounds, other people can hinder my freedom. However that's not always true, it's nice to have another friend who does enjoy the same activities at the same level of challenge / skill, without any competitive feeling going on.

How do you feel about being around people who are not challenge junkies?
    I don't mind really, they help me relax. I like when relatively less challenge-junkie people accept my invitations or whatever so we can share the experience more calmly, since they'll tend to be more laid-back.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

That's awesome! Loved the pictures. What's next?
    I've done a few less documented trips since then, including a winter one on trails in the Cranberry in February where the low was around 15 F. Also, various group trips, including one wilderness trip where the rains from hurricane Irene serenaded me to sleep.

Next up is -40 degrees!
    (that magical temperature where degrees F = degrees C)

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    That depends...I like to be alone during many of those tasks because, as bad as it may sounds, other people can hinder my freedom. However that's not always true, it's nice to have another friend who does enjoy the same activities at the same level of challenge / skill, without any competitive feeling going on.
    Oooooh that's surprising. I was expecting you to say that you like being around other competitive people because they stimulate you.

I don't mind really, they help me relax. I like when relatively less challenge-junkie people accept my invitations or whatever so we can share the experience more calmly, since they'll tend to be more laid-back.
    That's soo cool.

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    I've done a few less documented trips since then, including a winter one on trails in the Cranberry in February where the low was around 15 F. Also, various group trips, including one wilderness trip where the rains from hurricane Irene serenaded me to sleep.

Next up is -40 degrees!
    (that magical temperature where degrees F = degrees C)

MBTI
    nnnn

Are you someone like this or do you know someone like this?
    I am, in various ways (work, personal development, physical challenges, but to a lesser extent)...I don't lead a "comfortable life" (and I don't mean that in the material sense of the term). I don't indulge myself much (especially when it comes to ideas/perspectives and work) and rarely go for the easy road. I read somewhere E5s tend to want to explore/understand what makes them uncomfortable somehow, that resonates with me. I do consciously take time to sit still, although that is also part of me challenging myself not to indulge my challengy ways overly (yup)...

It's good sometimes to be around people that are oriented differently...relaxing, but sometimes it also feels non-committally empty. Just living. That's both fantastic and scary.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Uytuun View Post
    I am, in various ways (work, personal development, physical challenges, but to a lesser extent)...I don't lead a "comfortable life" (and I don't mean that in the material sense of the term). I don't indulge myself much (especially when it comes to ideas/perspectives and work) and rarely go for the easy road. I read somewhere E5s tend to want to explore/understand what makes them uncomfortable somehow, that resonates with me. I do consciously take time to sit still, although that is also part of me challenging myself not to indulge my challengy ways overly (yup)...

It's good sometimes to be around people that are oriented differently...relaxing, but sometimes it also feels non-committally empty. Just living. That's both fantastic and scary.
    Fascinating. Thank you for sharing.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Okay, I am back to wondering about this again. Still confused. I was watching a program about ultra marathon runners, like badwater.

Now I have changed my thoughts about this.... now I think they do it out of boredom.

I am especially talking about people who put themselves through pain and torture to take on this challenge, especially when it's not a necessity (i.e. it's not for survival or improved way of life for themselves or others). Now I think they get bored and it gives them something to focus on. Maybe it's partially ego too? But I think it's mostly boredom.

Thoughts?

(for the record, I'm not bothered by this, just trying to understand it)