User Tag List

123 Last

Default Nerd Confession Time!

Post the nerdy/geeky or just plain weird things you do or have done. Here are mine:

-Was in IB in High School (advanced two-year academic program that basically meant 3-7 hours of homework a night, required volunteer hours, a 4000 word extended essay, huge exams at the end, and our own little IB nerd culture school-within-a-school)
    -Like to listen to video game soundtracks on Youtube
    -Spend way too much time on this forum
    -Total language nerd--learning German, Spanish, French, and Japanese, and want to learn Chinese and Arabic as well
    -I'm at my computer pretty much whenever I'm not in class, out for a walk, or out to lunch/dinner
    -Watch anime (if that even counts as nerdy )

Man, I feel like I'm losing my inner nerd. I should be able to come up with more than this.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    -I'm at my computer pretty much whenever I'm not in class, out for a walk, or out to lunch/dinner
    Guilty as well.

I've been addicted to video games for most of my life. I remember when I was about 6, and it was at my cousin's birthday. I had a Dynavision at the time and my cousin happened to have a Master System. When everybody went to sing happy birthday I just kept playing video game lol. Why would I want to waste my time with meaningless rituals when I have the chance to play this awesome video game with no one around to disturb? :p
    I also played for a very long time one text-based online rpg called ''MUD'' (Multi User Dungeon). Weird thing is it was sophisticated at the time, since most nerds were playing 100% imaginary rpgs like Dungeons & Dragons.
    I still log in sometimes. Bring me good memories. Good old times. Unfortunately everybody moved to WoW and the player base got too scarce. Here is a screenshot:

I've been through a lot of long addictive phases. Age of Empires 2, Counter Strike, Tibia, along with many other console video games. On Tibia, someone once offered me U$$ 1000 for my char. I was 17, jobless, and I still declined. What a moron I was. :p
    Things were easy back then. It was a time I could be on the top 10% of my class without even studing at home. I think I could move up at least to the top 2%, but it didn't seem worth the effort at all. Things dramatically changed at college. Even now that I finished college, I barely have time to play. Alas. But I will make up for it.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

I was unpacking some boxes and found my old Pokemon red game. I came a little.
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

For awhile I was addicted to Minesweeper. Not any of the cool or sophisticated games that everyone else likes. Minesweeper.

I got so that I can do the expert board in 63 seconds. I tried for awhile to break 60 seconds, then deleted it from my computer because it was getting ridiculous. I can do it while I daydream and think about other things, so would do it almost in a trance.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I don't know if I'm nerdy so much as weird. Since I was a little kid I get these odd intellectual obsessions where I spend a couple months just totally immersed in every single aspect of one subject. The earliest I can remember was when I was 6 or 7 and decided I was going to learn everything there was to know about dogs. I memorized every fact about every single breed recognized by the AKC, including stuff like the official breed standards. A couple of years later it was prehistoric societies. Then I had like a string of country fetishes. It started with Russia. I absorbed every single book, news article, and documentary I could get my hands on. Then there was Pakistan, France, and the DRC. Japan was in there as well, but I had a very specific interest in modern literature that somehow dealt with Japanese involvement in WWII or reflected the sociological repercussions of the A-bomb. I had a combined cognitive science/linguistic thing after that.

Most recently I had a Liz Taylor kick after her death earlier this year. This spun into a couple of months dedicated to classic film and the politics of Old Hollywood. I'm obsession-less for the moment, so I've default back to biographies to keep me entertained.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    ENTP

Five years old: mechanical clocks. I wanted to build clocks with LOTS of gears.
    I was afraid of digital clocks saying 0:00 and further zeroes. Not because they resembled eyes, like the adults thought and like normal children would, but because... I thought "zero time" meant time had stopped and everything would disappear. I only overcame this fear once I understood it actually meant zero hours had passed since the beginning of the day.
    When I was in elementary school, I messed up our home computer (a Commodore 64) with little programs.
    Middle and high school: I made a few computer games with something called "Klik and Play" and messed them up, too. Bloody program didn't allow more than eight counters! It assumed you'd want to count "lives" and "score" for four players... and nothing more.
    Programmed a few computer games in Visual Basic: a mahjong puzzle and a sort of block-drop thingy.
    University: studied theoretical physics.
    Wrote short stories about personified physical quantities (like Length, Energy, and of course, my favourite, Entropy) battling against their enemies Misconception etc... more than I dare to admit. I STILL picture Mr. Entropy as a black guy with very messy, orange hair.
    Made comics about personified functions/ types (Remember Mrs. ESTJ?)

Actually, these personified concepts are more or less a constant in my life. I've done that with Latin tenses (yes... Mr. Imperfectum etc), mathematical concepts (The Goniometric Family), physical quantities, games (Mr. Go meets Mrs. Manille), types, functions... Whenever I try to understand something, I tend to make up persons and stories about them.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    IsFJ

Guilty as charged.

I don't watch a lot of anime, due to not knowing how to torrent stuff, but I read manga. I actually order the volumes in English from the internet, since I prefer reading them in that language.

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    For awhile I was addicted to Minesweeper. Not any of the cool or sophisticated games that everyone else likes. Minesweeper.

I got so that I can do the expert board in 63 seconds. I tried for awhile to break 60 seconds, then deleted it from my computer because it was getting ridiculous. I can do it while I daydream and think about other things, so would do it almost in a trance.
    I can get a little absorbed in Solitaire myself.

MBTI
    INTP

I laugh at, and sometimes make, science jokes. There is very little in this world that is more nerdy. This is particularly true if you accept the postulate that I maintain - "all science jokes are lame".
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

-Watch anime (if that even counts as nerdy )
    lmao. The boldest is the nerdiest thing posted in this thread so far.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    lmao. The boldest is the nerdiest thing posted in this thread so far.
    +1
    Something Witty