User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I can get a little absorbed in Solitaire myself.
    Dude, in a Nerd Challenge between Minesweeper and Solitaire, Minesweeper pwns Solitaire for nerdiness. :P My MOM* likes Solitaire.

Solitaire Nerd Factor = 1, Minesweeper Nerd Factor = 10

Quote Originally Posted by jimrckhnd View Post
    I laugh at, and sometimes make, science jokes. There is very little in this world that is more nerdy. This is particularly true if you accept the postulate that I maintain - "all science jokes are lame".
    I nerd humor. First season Big Bang Theory, before they dumbed it down for a broader audience appeal!!!

*My mom is smart, but she's an INFP who finished her education at high school, then became a stay-at-home mom. So anything she likes is not nerdy, almost by definition. :-D

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I also played for a very long time one text-based online rpg called ''MUD'' (Multi User Dungeon). Weird thing is it was sophisticated at the time, since most nerds were playing 100% imaginary rpgs like Dungeons & Dragons.
    Yeah. MUDs. Good stuff. Used to dial into BBSs for those.

I also played NetHack and Moria on the mainframes, in addition to the text-based precursors to graphic MMOs like EQ and WoW. I played a lot. I remember having a dream once in college where I ran over someone with my car, and instead of calling the police, I rifled through his pockets to get his treasure and then my little dog ate the corpse. When I woke up, I realized I really needed to get a life away from NetHack because it was warping my brain. (But of course I kept playing.)

(I had a similar experience with City of Heroes; my main toon had SuperJump, where I had to time my leaps across the 3D city landscape, and it got bad enough when I was driving to work and passing business parks, my mind would wander and speculate on which building I would land if I jumped off a different building; I was shocked when I realized I was doing that.)

I not only also added a bunch of mods to my OTC computer games, but I even figured out how to edit the art/skin files in order to change the clothes and facial features of my characters.

When I got into tabletop RPGs, from 6-12th grade, I rarely actually played; usually I just bought games, studied the rules in order to understand how the system worked, fixed inconsistencies / modified the ruleset to be better, and generated characters.

I actually had a Pong machine at my house, all it did was Pong and it had a UFH hookup for my antenna-ready TV.

The last time I played Q*bert, I played for six hours on one quarter, had at least 17-20 extra lives (so many not all appeared on the screen... I knew it because I was counting, and because once when I died, the on-screen icons did not reduce in number), and finally just handed the game off to someone else and never played it again. That was 26-27 years ago I guess.

I once tried to hire Phil Foglio to do some cartoons for a project a friend and I were writing. I really bolluxed the request, I should have handled it more professionally rather than trying to appeal to his sense of humor; but I did end up owning one of his original "What's New" strips.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex
    I don't know if I'm nerdy so much as weird. Since I was a little kid I get these odd intellectual obsessions where I spend a couple months just totally immersed in every single aspect of one subject. The earliest I can remember was when I was 6 or 7 and decided I was going to learn everything there was to know about dogs. I memorized every fact about every single breed recognized by the AKC, including stuff like the official breed standards. A couple of years later it was prehistoric societies. Then I had like a string of country fetishes. It started with Russia. I absorbed every single book, news article, and documentary I could get my hands on. Then there was Pakistan, France, and the DRC. Japan was in there as well, but I had a very specific interest in modern literature that somehow dealt with Japanese involvement in WWII or reflected the sociological repercussions of the A-bomb. I had a combined cognitive science/linguistic thing after that.

Most recently I had a Liz Taylor kick after her death earlier this year. This spun into a couple of months dedicated to classic film and the politics of Old Hollywood. I'm obsession-less for the moment, so I've default back to biographies to keep me entertained.
    That's very cool. I do that too, whether with musical groups, authors, people/events in history, items, a particular field of study, or whatever. I want to know everything about it, comprehensively... and once I milk it dry, I just drop it. I still remember it, of course, but I barely look at it again.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by jimrckhnd View Post
    I laugh at, and sometimes make, science jokes. There is very little in this world that is more nerdy. This is particularly true if you accept the postulate that I maintain - "all science jokes are lame".
    The problem with science jokes is the good ones argon.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I work at a Ren Faire and watch Star Trek on Netflix on a regular basis. Enough said.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah. MUDs. Good stuff. Used to dial into BBSs for those.

I also played NetHack and Moria on the mainframes, in addition to the text-based precursors to graphic MMOs like EQ and WoW. I played a lot. I remember having a dream once in college where I ran over someone with my car, and instead of calling the police, I rifled through his pockets to get his treasure and then my little dog ate the corpse. When I woke up, I realized I really needed to get a life away from NetHack because it was warping my brain. (But of course I kept playing.)
    (I had a similar experience with City of Heroes; my main toon had SuperJump, where I had to time my leaps across the 3D city landscape, and it got bad enough when I was driving to work and passing business parks, my mind would wander and speculate on which building I would land if I jumped off a different building; I was shocked when I realized I was doing that.)
    And the oscar goes to Jennifer!
    These online rpg games are so easy to get addicted to. One of the main problems is that once you make some friends you will want to at least keep their pace, so that you can still do stuff with them. Like hunts or player killing (my favourite activity btw ).
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Amateurs.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

-Played a lot of computer games with my brother (and alone too) as a child (and at least somewhat till I was 21 or so), including role-playing ones like Ultima and King's Quest.
    -Had articles published in a Sherlock Holmes journal.
    -Went to an International Arthurian Society conference in Wales (it's the top scholarly Arthurian society in the world - not for people who think they're Merlin reincarnated).
    -One of the Vancouver newspapers suggested that in 1999 a challenge would be to read one book published in every year of the century, over the course of the year. I did this, kept a list, and sent it to the newspaper at the end of the year, who published it. I also wrote a rather conceited letter to go along with it pointing out that for some of the years I'd read more than one book, and that I'd also read War and Peace in the summer. (I was young).

I'm sure there are others. I used to be a pretty big nerd. Still kind of am, but I hide it better...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Amateurs.

Draw your curriculum, pilgrim.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Amateurs.
    OK, out with your best nerd stories....

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Amateurs.
    ^ ya.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching