User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Bad day - bad bad day.

It's mothers day and I drove over to my dads house with a present for my mother to pick up later. He's in contact with her more often than I am. My dad had a brain tumor a couple of years ago, he's old, he's got diabetes and his generel health has been going down hill a lot lately.

So, I rang the door bell and when he appeared, I told him I was in a hurry and just wanted to leave a present. He told me he wanted to show me something he had been up to in the garden. I waited outside for a few moments and when he didn't appear, I looked throught the open door into the house just soon enough to watch him faint, fall backwards in a straight line and slam his head against the floor. I tried to turn him over and talk to him but he seemed to have been knocked unconscious, so I called an ambulance. While I was on the phone he woke up and managed to climb into bed.

I didn't drive with the ambulance but stayed in his house after it left to make sure that the cooker etc. wasn't switched on and to make sure all doors were locked. When I got out to my car I realized that I was running short on gasoline and that I had forgot my purse at home. I decided that I had enough gasoline left to reach my friends restaurant which is on the way to the hospital so I drove off. Between my dads home and the hospital is also a low bridge and just as I reached it - the bridge went up due to a tall ship passing below.

I eventually managed to borrow some money for gasoline and arrived at the hospital where they were examining him. I was pretty much in a state of chock and the madness just keept excellerating. Denmark is a homogenic contry and while my dad don't think about me and my Korean adopted brothers and sister as *non Danes* he's first of all old and afterwards prejudist as hell, like most Danes from his generation, when it comes to other people with *different ethnic origin than white. When presented with a *female*, *dark skinned* doctor from *Shrilanka* he started to make comments like "Where are you from?", "Do you have a real medical degree?" and he just keept going and going...

In the end, things got so bizarre that I ended up telling my very old dad, who just fainted, was knocked unconsceious and had a massive swelling in his back head, to basically "shut the fuck up!". He then tried to explain that he only wanted to make her aware that he perceived her as equal eventhough she was a *woman* and was from *Shrilanka* - that was when I lost it completely. So instead of taking his condition into consideration, I told him in a very unpleasant way that I didn't think she had any interest in his prejudist projections what so fucking ever.

Since my head was about to explode I took a magazine to escape for a while. He's an INTX but like my ENFJ mother, he perceives silence in the company of other people as uncomfortable so he keept on talking and talking. In the end, he fell asleep and 3 hours later the hospital told us he could go home. I drove him home and went home myself where I passed out. Later I woke up with a bad dream about him being close to dying. It's 04:52 in the morning now and I've sort of give up falling to sleep again.
    Talk about a shitty day.
    Verbal IQ Test

SubFacor IQ score = 65
    Subscale percentile = 1

You appear to have a very limited vocabulary and lack the ability to identify the correct responses for a variety of different questions. A deficient vocabulary can hinder you in many ways; you may struggle to find the correct words when speaking, fail to understand what others are communicating to you, or come across as inarticulate to others.

MBTI
    INFP

MBTI
    XNXP

*gives Park's shoulder a squeeze*
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    infp

Yeah. That is an awful day. Sorry to hear that.

MBTI
    ISTP

Wow, and I thought I was frustrated with my day! It's funny because I got the same thing, dating a chinese girl, from my danish side of the family. Not the same, but I understand...

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    It's mothers day and I drove over to my dads house with a present for my mother to pick up later. He's in contact with her more often than I am. My dad had a brain tumor a couple of years ago, he's old, he's got diabetes and his generel health has been going down hill a lot lately.

So, I rang the door bell and when he appeared, I told him I was in a hurry and just wanted to leave a present. He told me he wanted to show me something he had been up to in the garden. I waited outside for a few moments and when he didn't appear, I looked throught the open door into the house just soon enough to watch him faint, fall backwards in a straight line and slam his head against the floor. I tried to turn him over and talk to him but he seemed to have been knocked unconscious, so I called an ambulance. While I was on the phone he woke up and managed to climb into bed.

I didn't drive with the ambulance but stayed in his house after it left to make sure that the cooker etc. wasn't switched on and to make sure all doors were locked. When I got out to my car I realized that I was running short on gasoline and that I had forgot my purse at home. I decided that I had enough gasoline left to reach my friends restaurant which is on the way to the hospital so I drove off. Between my dads home and the hospital is also a low bridge and just as I reached it - the bridge went up due to a tall ship passing below.

I eventually managed to borrow some money for gasoline and arrived at the hospital where they were examining him. I was pretty much in a state of chock and the madness just keept excellerating. Denmark is a homogenic contry and while my dad don't think about me and my Korean adopted brothers and sister as *non Danes* he's first of all old and afterwards prejudist as hell, like most Danes from his generation, when it comes to other people with *different ethnic origin than white. When presented with a *female*, *dark skinned* doctor from *Shrilanka* he started to make comments like "Where are you from?", "Do you have a real medical degree?" and he just keept going and going...

In the end, things got so bizarre that I ended up telling my very old dad, who just fainted, was knocked unconsceious and had a massive swelling in his back head, to basically "shut the fuck up!". He then tried to explain that he only wanted to make her aware that he perceived her as equal eventhough she was a *woman* and was from *Shrilanka* - that was when I lost it completely. So instead of taking his condition into consideration, I told him in a very unpleasant way that I didn't think she had any interest in his prejudist projections what so fucking ever.

Since my head was about to explode I took a magazine to escape for a while. He's an INTX but like my ENFJ mother, he perceives silence in the company of other people as uncomfortable so he keept on talking and talking. In the end, he fell asleep and 3 hours later the hospital told us he could go home. I drove him home and went home myself where I passed out. Later I woke up with a bad dream about him being close to dying. It's 04:52 in the morning now and I've sort of give up falling to sleep again.
    Talk about a shitty day.
    Ouch, that does sound like a sucky day.

How homogenous is Denmark in today's society? I had heard that this area of the world has picked up an awful lot of refugees. When I was in Sweden last year (yes I know, different country, but same part of the world) I noticed (and was told about more than once) the last number of Black Africans and other refugees now living in the Southern towns and cities. I understand Norway is much the same.

Has Denmark managed to "avoid" this trend?

-Geoff

MBTI
    INTP

Thanks.
    I feel pretty down about the whole deal yesterday. Sad thing is that I believe him when he says he only had good intentions. He's just old, not particulary introspective and unable to see his own prejudism and the effect it has on other people. It's actually more sad that I ended up getting so pissed at him.

Today, it also hit me how it must have feelt for him to be completely helpless and then have to face a doctor who 1. wasn't a male and 2. wasn't white. When people reach an age where they don't have that many years left, I tend to think it's better to just let them have their opinions in peace and not try to make them look at things from other angles. I think life becomes more about feelings, just enjoying the moment and less about personal development. I did manage to get a few hours of sleep after all and when I woke up again I thought to myself, what if he had passed away during the night and one of the last things I said to him was "shut the fuck up!". It's the kind of thing which would probably leave me traumatized for life.

ptgatsby Wow, and I thought I was frustrated with my day! It's funny because I got the same thing, dating a chinese girl, from my danish side of the family. Not the same, but I understand...
    Personally, I prefer a more direct *in your face* prejudism than this civilized political correct prejudism which many Danes master to perfection.

How homogenous is Denmark in today's society? I had heard that this area of the world has picked up an awful lot of refugees. When I was in Sweden last year (yes I know, different country, but same part of the world) I noticed (and was told about more than once) the last number of Black Africans and other refugees now living in the Southern towns and cities. I understand Norway is much the same.

Has Denmark managed to "avoid" this trend?
    No, Denmark took in a lot of refugees as well but you can only talk about larger multi ethnic cultures existing in the biggest cities - we live in the contry side. From an overall point of view - people with a different ethnic origin than white still only make up a minority.
    Verbal IQ Test

SubFacor IQ score = 65
    Subscale percentile = 1

You appear to have a very limited vocabulary and lack the ability to identify the correct responses for a variety of different questions. A deficient vocabulary can hinder you in many ways; you may struggle to find the correct words when speaking, fail to understand what others are communicating to you, or come across as inarticulate to others.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    Personally, I prefer a more direct *in your face* prejudism than this civilized political correct prejudism which many Danes master to perfection.
    Yah... I really feel like scandinavia suffers from ethocentric behaviour. I feel quite comfortable there, but... yah. I know it's not so easy.

To be fair, however, it's how I felt in Korea That's the most ethnocentric country I have ever visited... and my GF looks fairly korean (everyone thought she was) and was immediately accepted everywhere, until they found out she wasn't. It was interesting to see. (It was also interesting to see that I got accepted after I played Go and Starcraft. Nothing ever changes... its like getting accepted by playing pool here, or bowling. And watching football.)

Just shows that people are people, everywhere. The only thing that changes us is what we grow up with.

And FWIW, I'd call down my family, and do (my mom prefers female checkout people at the supermarket because "they are more efficient"... we've fought over that since before I was a teen) if what they say is hurtful to someone else. The emotional reaction might of been a bit much... but I wouldn't feel that bad over his negative actions towards someone tasked with taking care of him. It is a personal issue with you... if you really think about it, two non-danes are helping him through the crisis and he's insulting both (directly and indirectly)... sometimes something needs to be said.

MBTI
    INFJ

Sorry about your day, and glad you got some sleep.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
    -- Unknown

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

;w; it will all be better soon
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D