Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Yes, people sometimes buy really expensive clothing and hardly wear it before they might gain weight and can't fit it anymore, but since it was so expensive and high quality, they don't want to throw it out, plus they want the tax write off from donating. I go crazy in there with buying belts, scarves, and any unique and cute handbag I see. It's also a great place to buy ski equipment, snow clothing and big heafty Jackets for really cheap too, but this is probably only in california where we don't need those things so much and people are more likely to donate them.
    Yeah, and also remember in California, a lot of people have money and are donating things of a higher caliber sometimes than they are, say, in West Virginia.

@swordpath

What type of job are you applying for?
    What will be the dress once you get the job?
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    @swordpath

What type of job are you applying for?
    What will be the dress once you get the job?
    Police.

Uniformed.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm thoroughly overwhelmed.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Beat is The Man.

Of course, he'll be a good cop.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Beat is The Man.

Of course, he'll be a good cop.
    <3

Permabanned

I can relate, I'm buying a new suit soon as well. And I'm dirt broke.

I plan on "building my suit".

As long as the colors match up, there really is no need to buy a new suit in full. Go to a thrift store..look for some nice ties...a dress shirt...etc.
    Buy a quality Jacket and a some slacks to match..at a ritzier place.

I think I'll get away with it for 150ish.

Also, look for pictures of well dressed men on line, and model your own suit after theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Police.

Uniformed.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm thoroughly overwhelmed.
    I'll make it simple.

Charcoal 2 button suit (no pinstripes, no pattern, no vest, Not black, never button both buttons)
    White pinpoint non-buttoned down collared shirt
    Silk tie with a simple pattern like striped or just solid in a darker color (just stay away from anything flashy)
    Black leather belt (with a simple silver buckle)
    Simple black leather lace up shoes (cap toe might be best and well polished)
    Charcoal socks
    No pocket squares, tie pins or any jewelry except a wedding ring, a simple dress watch that matches and maybe a class ring if you went to a school in the area.
    Fresh haircut
    Last edited by Beorn; 09-13-2011 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Added socks and belt buck recs
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

The key to thrift store shopping is to go to the thrift store that is nearest to the rich people. If you go in the inner city, the donations are not as good. (Some chain thrifts move their merchandise around, but mostly I have found this to be true).

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lily flower View Post
    The key to thrift store shopping is to go to the thrift store that is nearest to the rich people. If you go in the inner city, the donations are not as good. (Some chain thrifts move their merchandise around, but mostly I have found this to be true).
    Yeah, exactly. I was thinking that maybe only women shop at thrift/secondhand shops, but I remembered that how I even learned about the humongous one here was when a guy took me there to show it to me a long time ago. Also a guy I just met recently at school told me that he and his best friend always pick up clothes at the salvation army.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yeah, and also remember in California, a lot of people have money and are donating things of a higher caliber sometimes than they are, say, in West Virginia.
    I'll take your word for it. Sadly, I've never lived outside of California.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

1. If possible, go shopping with someone who has a good fashion sense to advise on style, fit, color.

2. If you don't luck out finding a whole suit, opt for jacket/trousers in a good combination: navy jacket with gray trousers is classic, as is black or grey trousers with a tweed jacket.

3. Unless you have an unusual build, you should be able to find something that fits reasonably right off, perhaps just needing the trouser length adjusted. If something fits you very poorly (especially jackets), look for a different style/cut. I got a suit in a thrift store once for about $5, then paid $25 for some simple length adjustments - overall, a good deal.

4. A white shirt is always safe with either combination, and often available for $12-20 in TJ Max, Marshalls, JCpenney, etc. Get a solid tie for a tweed jacket; a conservative small or abstract print for blue. A simple tietack or tieclip is appropriate if you have one. And yes, belt and shoes should match and be clean/polished.

If everything fits, is neat and clean, you are well-groomed and present yourself well, wearing something shy of a formal "business suit" should not hurt your chances. (And it will serve you for weddings, funerals, etc.)
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...