User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I bought my husband 2 suits at the thrift store for $4 and $8 and he has used them for about 10 years. He only needs them for interviews and the occasional event, so they have lasted. They were clearly really expensive originally, and didn't show external wear. One of them didn't even need tailoring.

MBTI
    INTP

Men's Wearhouse sucks bigtime (at least the ones I've seen) -- it's overpriced and the selection is terrible, plus the employees usually don't know anything. Your average department store (e.g. Belk, Macy's) will have a much larger selection, and the quality is higher, plus they usually have a "suit guy" on staff to help you find exactly what you need. You can also find some decent stuff at JC Penney's for good prices, so it's worth a look, but they have a lot of crap too so be careful. There's also Joseph A. Bank, which has a huge selection of good quality stuff, but it's a bit overpriced unless it's on sale.

There are also independent standalone suit / fashion stores. I bought the suit for my wedding at a place like this and it was pretty good. The guy who ran the place really had an eye for fashion, and tailoring was included.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

As for what fits & what is current (not trendy, but not terribly outdated), just look at photos online. Browse some online stores which sell nice suits just to get an idea of how they should fit the body & what styles are out there. A quick google search found this site, which has some good, basic advice: http://www.fashionising.com/trends/b...uits-1467.html So does this one: http://college.monster.com/benefits/...n-mistakes-men

Some men wear their suits too slouchy looking, IMO. You want the cut/details to emphasize the shoulder so the waist appears smaller. This is the classic male silhouette. If the jacket has a good fit and details, then it will do this. The other part that causes the schlumpy look is pants that are too long, too baggy in areas, and don't fit the waist right (I think this can be a matter of pleats/no pleats & the rise height). A lot of guys are used to jeans which they wear loose & low, but with a suit, this will look especially sloppy & not flattering to the body. So just realize & accept that you will feel & look more buttoned up & stiff in the suit.

When it comes to men's suit trends, the changes from year to year are just nuances, amounting to stuff like how high the jacket stance is, etc. Don't worry about those fussy details in terms of trends; instead just note how they make your body appear (do they give you a clean, sharp, masculine silhouette?). I agree with keeping it simple with colors/prints if you're clueless.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/

the ones in the pics look pretty decent.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lily flower View Post
    I bought my husband 2 suits at the thrift store for $4 and $8 and he has used them for about 10 years. He only needs them for interviews and the occasional event, so they have lasted. They were clearly really expensive originally, and didn't show external wear. One of them didn't even need tailoring.
    Yes, people sometimes buy really expensive clothing and hardly wear it before they might gain weight and can't fit it anymore, but since it was so expensive and high quality, they don't want to throw it out, plus they want the tax write off from donating. I go crazy in there with buying belts, scarves, and any unique and cute handbag I see. It's also a great place to buy ski equipment, snow clothing and big heafty Jackets for really cheap too, but this is probably only in california where we don't need those things so much and people are more likely to donate them.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

For men: http://careergear.org/

Each participant receives one suit for an interview; once he is employed or actively seeking employment he is encouraged to become a member of the Professional Development Series. In 2010, 1,310 men received a business suit and career counseling at its national headquarters in New York. Career Gear affiliates suited another 2,200.
    ------

For women: http://www.dressforsuccess.org/

Each Dress for Success client receives one suit when she has a job interview and additional apparel (up to a week's worth of clothing) when she becomes employed.
    -----

Otherwise:

Get your real measurements at a place like Men's Wearhouse so you know what to shop for on the cheap (your jacket size, pants size). Then, check out second hand stores, Goodwill, Salvation Army clothes outlets, flea markets, garage sales that have clothing to find some possibly decent second hand suits. Get online or check the local paper to see where the garage sales are in your area this weekend. Local churches too will have rummage sales / clothing sales - plus, if you get one there, and are sweet, one of the talented older ladies may take pity on you and do your alterations.

Good luck!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Back in 1999, I had to go to funeral quick, and JC Penny's clerk basically helped me because I was distraught...A complete suit, shirt, tie, belt all for like $200 or something like that.

I also buy stuff at goodwill.

I'm not sure where I'd go now.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

You can get yourself a killer suit that's in the ballpark at e-bay and then have somebody tailor it, there are a lot of seamstresses out there. The trick is you'd have to know your jacket size straight off.. I guess try out jackets at the dept store for fit and write down the size.

Yeah, if you didn't know it, generally you need to know if the slacks you have are made to wear at the waist or lower, and wear them there. No pleats and lower waist is in style, I'm not sure if you find that easily in suits, as I haven't been suit shopping in a long time. Eh, you probably don't want to go with oxford shirts.. at least I wouldn't, they look pretty casual. I'd go with athletic cut, I don't think it's very flattering to have all that extra material puffing out of your pants. And if you didn't know, you *have* to wear a belt. Match your shoes to your belt and your socks to your pants. I suggest a brown belt if you buy a navy suit.

Yeah, you can just do JC pennies or just whatever midlevel dept store with a tailor, or some dept store and they'll hook you up.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    I have never owned a business suit in my life. I have an important interview on the 20th and I want to look sharp, however I'm scraping by at the moment with not a lot of money. Like I said, I have never owned a suit and have therefore never been shopping for one. I need a business suit that is professional and conservative. Are the cheaper business suits pre-tailored or do they get tailored the same way a suit at any higher price level would (customized for you, by a tailor)? Does tailoring usually happen at department stores where you can buy suits or would I need to take it elsewhere to have it done? What is the typical turn around time for getting your suit tailored? What are some good stores to check out? I'm thinking Macy's or JC Pennys?.... and I also need a white Oxford shirt, and shoes... and probably other essential suit accessories that I don't even know exist.

PLEASE HELP. Obviously I'm clueless.
    You can get inexpensive but sharp looking shoes, shirts, belts, ties, and cuffinks at discount stores like Marshall's, TJ Maxx, etc. For a suit, the most important thing is fit and color. Unless a suit is extremely high quality or really used and beat up, you can't tell so much the price tag of a suit.

I would say find a good tailor, buy a decent inexpensive suit that fits pretty well in a professional neutral pattern and color (i'm a big fan of dark grey, navy is a little harder to match imho), match up the accessories in likewise neutral colors, and then have it tailored.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    I have never owned a business suit in my life. I have an important interview on the 20th and I want to look sharp, however I'm scraping by at the moment with not a lot of money. Like I said, I have never owned a suit and have therefore never been shopping for one. I need a business suit that is professional and conservative. Are the cheaper business suits pre-tailored or do they get tailored the same way a suit at any higher price level would (customized for you, by a tailor)? Does tailoring usually happen at department stores where you can buy suits or would I need to take it elsewhere to have it done? What is the typical turn around time for getting your suit tailored? What are some good stores to check out? I'm thinking Macy's or JC Pennys?.... and I also need a white Oxford shirt, and shoes... and probably other essential suit accessories that I don't even know exist.

PLEASE HELP. Obviously I'm clueless.
    Just buy, wear, and return. Charge it on your card, but be sure to buy and return the clothes in the same pay period.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg