User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    I guess the best way to memorize is to write the stuff down just keep repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating.
    It's the only way I've found. Boring, but effective.
    Something Witty

Glycerine

mnemonics always help me. I once used RLS (restless leg syndrome) to help me remember something in Statistics. If you can make random but somewhat personally relevant associations w/ the info, it will help.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    It's the only way I've found. Boring, but effective.
    I've always envied the people who just sit and look at the pages and memorize them. (without talking out loud, moving around, an re writing the text)

MBTI
    INTP

I've always envied the people who just sit and look at the pages and memorize them. (without talking out loud, moving around, an re writing the text)
    Me, too. I'd love a photographic memory.

I knew a girl that could easily memorize all the lines from plays that she was barely even in (she usually had a bit/background part), and then remember those lines years later. I'd have a larger role and not remember any of it three weeks after we closed.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ENTP

Do people with photographic memory memory also think in pictures ?

I think they do ...somewhat...at least in problem solving.

When you have a ton of information to memorize, simplify the information to something that's easy to remember. Example: (taken from Wikipedia)

The narwhal, Monodon monoceros, is a medium-sized toothed whale that lives year-round in the Arctic. One of two living species of whale in the Monodontidae family, along with the beluga whale, the narwhal males are distinguished by a characteristic long, straight, helical tusk extending from their upper left jaw. Found primarily in Canadian Arctic and Greenlandic waters, rarely south of 65°N latitude, the narwhal is a uniquely specialized Arctic predator. In the winter, it feeds on benthic prey, mostly flatfish, at depths of up to 1500 m under dense pack ice.[3] Narwhal have been harvested for over a thousand years by Inuit people in northern Canada and Greenland for meat and ivory, and a regulated subsistence hunt continues to this day. While populations appear stable, the narwhal has been deemed particularly vulnerable to climate change due to a narrow geographical range and specialized diet.[4]
    That's a lot of information there. I bet it'd be pretty annoying to try to memorize every detail of it, so you should focus only on the essentials (what you think will be on the test), and ignore most of the rest. You could simplify it to this:

Narwhal - whale with helical tusk
    Related to beluga
    Found near Canada/Greenland
    Eats benthic prey (flatfish)
    Hunted by Inuit people

Maybe you've already tried this. I don't know. I just know that what looks like a lot at first becomes much less when you simplify it to the bare essentials. The fewer words, the better.

EDIT: Another thing you can do to simplify it further is make an acronym out of it. NRFEH, or you could go by key words rather than the first word: H(helical)B(beluga)C/G(Canada/Greenland)B(benthic)I(Inuit). Acronyms are one of my favorite mnemonics to use.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

A study group really helps me with stuff like that. Could you get a couple of people together so you can drill each other and have friendly competition for grades.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm not sure how you can remember math problems (or accounting problems). If you could describe one, then it might help.

I'm a biologist, and I know the names of a few stuff.

1.) I made acroynms
    2.) I made flash cards
    3.) I make drawings.
    4.) Read something, and then close the material and try to write it back from memory.

In psychological evaluations, they give you words to remember, and then they talk to you for a while and later ask you to recall the words. (Could someone tell me why they do this?)

Once they told me "car, pony, nickle" back in 1993. An image popped into my head of a pony standing on a car holding a nickle in it's mouth.

Our FedEx delivery person is a black man named Ken White. I saw a black Ken doll ridding on a great white shark.

I'm not sure what imagine comes to mind for accounting.

Give me an example, and I might see if any images pop up.

MBTI
    ENTP

oh...it's just raw material

I kinda started the thread to procrastinate from learning

I guess the main issue is that it's too much. So I'll just have to simplify it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Do people with photographic memory memory also think in pictures ?

I think they do ...somewhat...at least in problem solving.
    I think in pictures, which is why I have such a strong sensory memory, but I absolutely do not have a photographic memory. I cannot look at blocks of text and just know it.

Memorizing accounting problems sounds horrible. I wouldn't be good at that, so good luck, man.