User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Arachnophobia

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm not afraid of spiders. When I was a child I used to bring home bananna spiders (the big yellow and black ones) by catching them with my hand. They'd spin a web on our porch, then I'd take care of them and feed them bugs. If the bug wasn't moving, I'd jiggle the web myself to let the spider know it was there.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ^^^ me (second one)
    Yeah. That's about right.
    Except I'd talk to you.
    I'd need to know what freaked you out, so I could get you back.
    Which could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship! Or an epic prank war. Either way..
    I don't understand the "withdrawal" tactic. Know thine enemy, and all that. We DID wind up being pretty good friends afterwards. It just took a formal apology and promise never to do that again on my part xD

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    One of the worst feelings in the world is running through the woods and wrapping a spiderweb around your head. If you want to see me dance the Freakout Dance, that would be the one...
    I think the freak out dance is universal; I ran through a 6 foot wide web that had one of these little beauties on it.
    http://www.spiderzrule.com/1311/spider2b.jpg
    And you can rest assured I flailed my arms like a fool.

That being said, I don't have a fear of spiders. Once you've had a black widow crawl up your arm, not much will faze you. I managed to take pics before I squished it too ^_^

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    They're harmless unless they're poisonous, but even then they're not going to bite you if you leave them alone.
    Not quite true. I got bitten by a jumping spider when I was standing still on my front porch. Some spiders are highly aggressive.

In particular, the Australian Funnelweb Spider. Think of a tarantula with anger management issues, and fangs that proportionally resemble those of a sabretooth tiger.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc1Bb9YQYtU&feature=fvst
    For those of you not brave enough to watch the vid; NEVER VISIT AUSTRALIA.
    Last edited by Wanderer; 09-13-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: dropped a preposition >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Not quite true. I got bitten by a jumping spider when I was standing still on my front porch. Some spiders are highly aggressive.

In particular, the Australian Funnelweb Spider. Think of a tarantula with anger management issues, and fangs that proportionally resemble those of a sabretooth tiger.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc1Bb9YQYtU&feature=fvst
    That's scary! I'm glad I don't live in Australia.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by BAJ View Post
    I'm not afraid of spiders. When I was a child I used to bring home bananna spiders (the big yellow and black ones) by catching them with my hand. They'd spin a web on our porch, then I'd take care of them and feed them bugs. If the bug wasn't moving, I'd jiggle the web myself to let the spider know it was there.
    Are/were you an only child?
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    I already decided that when a high-school friend stayed over there a few months and came back with stories about the spider on his wall that was as big as his hand, how he beat it with a 2x4 and it disappeared, and then a day or two later it was back on his wall.

I'm sorry, if I have to pack firearms and flamethrowers to kill the spider, I think I'd just rather stay home, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by redbone
    I'm not scared of bugs at all. I grew up in Florida. I'm used to seeing mini-monsters masquerading as insects.
    Bugs aren't spiders. I'm pretty much okay with bugs. But the more spider-y they get, the more I get freaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer
    I think the freak out dance is universal; I ran through a 6 foot wide web that had one of these little beauties on it.
    Gaaaa! Freakin' banana spiders! They were all over the fields around where I grew up, they just scared the crap out of me. Still, I'd cautiously get close and look at them, as long as I was sure they weren't going to jump on me.

Quote Originally Posted by BAJ
    That's.... creepy. Although I used to grab ants and toss them in the webs, just to see what the spider did. (Don't mind me, just Miss Counter-Phobic, just move on along now.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

My family was looking at a house to rent once and I set my soda (with a straw) down onto a counter to look around. Just a couple minutes later I went to take a sip from my straw. Not only did I get some soda, but I felt this huge furry thing shoot out of the straw and into my mouth. OH MY GEE!! I started spitting whatever was in my mouth out, but all it did was crawl from the inside of my mouth, out of my mouth and up my face into my hair. All I could do was scream and slap my face and shake my hair to get it out. Eventually I got that huge freakin spider! The land lord of the house was pretty pissed that I spit coke all over his tile floor...
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by ayoitsStepho View Post
    My family was looking at a house to rent once and I set my soda (with a straw) down onto a counter to look around. Just a couple minutes later I went to take a sip from my straw. Not only did I get some soda, but I felt this huge furry thing shoot out of the straw and into my mouth. OH MY GEE!! I started spitting whatever was in my mouth out, but all it did was crawl from the inside of my mouth, out of my mouth and up my face into my hair. All I could do was scream and slap my face and shake my hair to get it out. Eventually I got that huge freakin spider! The land lord of the house was pretty pissed that I spit coke all over his tile floor...
    I'm one of those people who sort of experiences things as they think about them.

All I can say is...I just felt a spider in my mouth. And it was terrifying. I would have flipped out.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Bugs aren't spiders. I'm pretty much okay with bugs. But the more spider-y they get, the more I get freaked out.
    Definitely. I made a joke in that rant about the fact that I was looking forward to not seeing so many bugs and I got my wish. I had no idea they were going to be replaced by spiders. I can take any bugs over spiders...well, maybe not hive insects. They kind of give me the creeps, too.

Yes, spidery looking insects get the thumbs down, too. Ticks immediately come to mind.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Yes, spidery looking insects get the thumbs down, too. Ticks immediately come to mind.
    My wife completely freaks out about ticks. I don't quite get that.