Thread: Arachnophobia

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I'm slightly frightened of them in general, although not too much; if I know the particular species of spider is non-threatening then I usually don't worry too much about it at all. That being said, I sometimes find Hobo Spiders crawing around in my house, which are both terrifying and poisonous

I used to be afraid of spiders, but not so much now. I don't particularly like looking at them, but it doesn't bother me like it used to. They're harmless unless they're poisonous, but even then they're not going to bite you if you leave them alone. It's just like bees and wasps--I've never been stung because I leave them alone. What scares me more is spider webs, especially when you're walking along outside on a trail and end up walking through an invisible web. Who put that there?! I freak out when that happens. And of course, I also freak out if there's a spider crawling on me, unless it's really tiny, then it's not such a big deal.

I suppose I should mention that I never kill spiders, not even when they're in my house. I'm content to just relocate them (I usually grab them gently with a kleenex and put them in the trash can on the other side of the basement). Call me weird, but I see no moral justification for killing any living thing, spiders included.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Where is @Jennifer?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    What's funny is, I had someone say this to me once, and I think it's important to differentiate between

"I don't like spiders. They are creepy"
    and
    "HOLY EFFING SHIZZ GETITAWAYGETITAWAY"
    ^^^ me (second one)

Which brings to mind the time someone I just met told me they were afraid of spiders.
    I assumed they meant option one, and (humorously) threw a plastic spider at them.
    After the freakout was over, they didn't talk to me for 3 weeks straight.
    Yeah. That's about right.
    Except I'd talk to you.
    I'd need to know what freaked you out, so I could get you back.

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    Oh gosh, the ones that look like they could eat you, even if harmless, are the ones that turn my stomach. We have huge spiders in Australia. I had one at my front door once, the size of a huge, man hand, brown and furry (but harmless) and all I could do was throw an icecream container over it and call my sister's BF to come and get it. I can't spray them and watch them quiver. (Haha, I put a scary, fake spider on my friend's should the other night, fully expecting him to roll his eyes at me, but he started shaking his shoulder a bit and that made it look real to him and everyone else in the room. I was so not anticipating it, that I couldn't get the words out of my mouth that it wasn't real. Not good. Everyone under 10 thought it was hilarious though.)
    My skin is literally crawling right, and since I'm not wearing shoes (I took off my sandals at work), I have my feet up on the wheels/legs of my chair, just because of these stories.

... then, of course, I'm kind of counter-phobic, so I actually like to get close and watch them... even though I'm so on edge I'll scream if he'd jump towards me.

I find my response fascinating, it's all just intrinsic... no conscious thought or choice at all, I just get really really creeped out.

One of the worst feelings in the world is running through the woods and wrapping a spiderweb around your head. If you want to see me dance the Freakout Dance, that would be the one...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Spiders are cool, they eat all sort of nasty bugs, so i see them as my friends. im not talking about some big nasty fuckers that can kill you, luckily we dpnt have those in finland.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

DO NOT LIKE SPIDERS.

I mean the little garden spiders are harmless and can stay outside and eat the bugs for us, and daddy long-legs don't bother me either, but the rest of them absolutely give me the creeps. UGH.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Daddy Long Legs aren't technically spiders.

Although they belong to the class of arachnids, harvestmen are not spiders, which are of the order Araneae rather than the order Opiliones.
    Which is amusing, because long before I knew that, I was never really bothered by DLLs even though they have similarities to real spiders. They're a little unsettling, but they never really bothered me in the same way.

(I just KNOW. I've got a spider sense, and not like Spiderman either... I actually recognize spiders..!)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Me...you guys know I am terrified of spiders! I can't even look at pictures of them without panicking.

I posted in the rant thread about how one tried to kill--yes, KILL ME! And I had to save myself with a lotion bottle.

I'm not scared of bugs at all. I grew up in Florida. I'm used to seeing mini-monsters masquerading as insects. I move out here to the PNW thinking that's one thing I won't see much of out here. I haven't...but there are plenty of goddamn spiders! They are everywhere!

I'm thinking about going back to Florida.

(I do have to admit that the spiders here are not the overgrown variety in Florida. There's just so damn many of them.)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Spiders don't bother me. The only bugs I hate are mosquitoes.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Oh my gosh guys .. *shudders*

Well the spider under the jug is still under the jug .. Until an appropriate adult comes to my house and removes it then its staying there .. The kids keep on joking that the jug has been knocked over, NOT FUNNY, lol. (OK, maybe a little after my intial reaction of OMG).

Anyway this morning i was getting on my boots and sitting on the stairs to do so and i got up and kiddo asks me what is on the step i was sitting on seconds previously .. He told me 'That's the spider from the living room the other morning' .. I went into action mode, grabbed a clear plastic container and covered it (i don't care if the legs got squished), slid some card under it then went outside far from my front door and threw the lot .. The damn thing still came back towards the house .. i think it knew i was watching it from the kitchen window.

I am really proud of myself for having the courage to get rid of it .. Now someone needs to deal with the one under the jug because i refuse too. Also this means that the damn things are getting bigger and wanting to take up residence in my house .. NO.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe