User Tag List

123 Last

Angry Social Network Status Reposts & Chain Mails Demand "Prove What <Blank> Means To You"

Someone I know posted this Facebook status update today:

To every single one of you who are on my friends list, old friends and new, I enjoy meeting you on here. I enjoy catching up; I enjoy hearing about you and your family; I am not only glad to count you as friends, but also family. Let’s see who actually pays attention. Like this post and then copy this as your status just for a minute. I’ll be watching to see who really does cherish family and friendship. Thank you for being part of my life
    Most of us have received something to this effect, yes?

"Repost/resend this if you really love/value/like me."
    "Repost/resend this if you really hate cancer."
    "Repost/resend this if you LOVE kittens."
    "Repost/resend this unless you want to die an excruciating death."
    "Repost/resend this if you love Jesus/America/Veterans/Neapolitan Ice Cream"
    (And if you don't, you must hate <blank>.)

I noticed that some of his friends and family started immediately "Liking" and commenting on this post, then reposting the message as demanded... for fear of being branded the "bad friend"?

For the record,
    I.
    F**king.
    Refuse.

The first thousand times I saw this sort of thing, I rolled my eyes. However, at this point, I don't think I can express how offensive I find this sort of inanity. If you are seriously going to let this determine the value of our relationship, I really don't want anything to do with you.

What do the rest of you think about this sort of thing? Does it annoy you? Do you pass this sort of thing along yourself? Can any of you help me articulate why this sort of thing gets under my skin so much? I know my disapproval is wrapped up in the presumption of these gestures, as well as superficiality, but I need to separate my tangle of impressions so that I can translate and articulate them as clear thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

This annoys the shit out of me, and it's one of the reasons I'm constantly on the verge of canceling my Facebook account. I don't appreciate people using my values to manipulate me, and I don't need to mindlessly repost some moron's status to prove that I think cancer is bad, mmkay. I wouldn't repost it even if it said "Repost if you are against using babies as firewood".
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    This annoys the shit out of me, and it's one of the reasons I'm constantly on the verge of canceling my Facebook account. I don't appreciate people using my values to manipulate me, and I don't need to mindlessly repost some moron's status to prove that I think cancer is bad, mmkay. I wouldn't repost it even if it said "Repost if you are against using babies as firewood".
    It totally works though. There was an experiment where people were asked to raise their hands if they were generous or donated money to charity. Right afterwards, the whole group was publicly hit up for a small donation to some "worthy charity". The people who had just said "Yes, I'm generous" were far more likely to donate money. They said to not give money would be cognitive dissonance (or not??) but I think the people just felt on the spot. More peer pressure than anything. That does irk me. It's total manipulation.

I don't repost things because I have no Fe I guess.

Har har.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    It totally works though. There was an experiment where people were asked to raise their hands if they were generous or donated money to charity. Right afterwards, the whole group was publicly hit up for a small donation to some "worthy charity". The people who had just said "Yes, I'm generous" were far more likely to donate money. They said to not give money would be cognitive dissonance (or not??) but I think the people just felt on the spot. More peer pressure than anything. That does irk me. It's total manipulation.

I don't repost things because I have no Fe I guess.

Har har.
    The friend that posted this is an ISFP.

I'm a Fe-user.

Fi/Fe relevance? Zilch.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    The friend that posted this is an ISFP.

I'm a Fe-user.

Fi/Fe relevance? Zilch.
    Bah, maybe it doesn't work on Fi/Fe users for different reasons that are related to Fi/Fe.

When I see things like that re: "please repost if [you care, you love your friends, etc.] I just To me it reminds me of the formality and literal-ness and obligation of sending thank you cards if that makes sense. Except in this case, I've done nothing to obligate me to re-post anything. So those requests don't actually annoy me, they barely register. I just assume no one seriously thinks I'm going to repost and that when I don't repost, no one is going to bat an eye.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I loathe those as well and make a point of NOT passing them on or reposting. Fe couldn't make me.

Oh, and another thing! They so often include sentences like "Only 1% of people will repost this (i.e., be a noble hero). Will you? (Or will you refuse and admit you're not a good person/lazy/apathetic?)"

You and your chain letter don't define my character, fucktard.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

I'm not on facebook, but I do get those kinds of emails from family members every once in a while. For the record, I don't think they expect me to forward them.

I always wonder if the people that start those really think in such black and white terms. Do they really believe that the only reason you wouldn't forward a patriotic email is because you are ashamed of the troops? I can't get started with folks like that. If you can only think of ONE reason someone might be motivated to do or not do something, I probably would find it extremely frustrating to have even one conversation with you.

As far as the facebook status in the OP, I think I would be tempted to comment on their wall telling them exactly why I wasn't going to cut and paste that noise. "I love you like family. DANCE, MINION! I'LL BE WATCHING!"
    Something Witty

Glycerine

This is why I am glad that I "permanently" deleted my Facebook.....

MBTI
    IsFJ

Is this, like, the online version of "If you really loved me, you would [X]"?

And this is why I only use FB as a way of letting people contact me and of checking on them.

Also, not everything in the whole world is about Fi/Fe. Just sayin'.