User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 93

  1. #71
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    The fact that he's the pioneer of modern movie technology, I think INTJ, as well, or at least some kind of Rational.

  2. #72
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    The fact that he's the pioneer of modern movie technology, I think INTJ, as well, or at least some kind of Rational.
    INTJ is not a Rational since its dominant function is Ni.

    I can see how some may see Lucas as INTJ or some kind of T (rational). But the INFJ in question prefers to keep his F (rational) in the background.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  3. #73
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post

    The geeks eventually got their face time with Lucas and I want to stress how respectful these guys were, and that they paid a lot of money for face time with Lucas. This was not a surprise interaction; Lucas came to this event knowing he’d be expected to mingle with the peons. I don’t advocate bugging celebrities in their daily lives, but this was a professional event designed to encourage these interactions. The guys were not out of bounds. They started by telling Lucas that they loved him/the movies/grew up watching them. Then they very politely asked why he wouldn’t make the original versions of the movies available on DVD/Blu-Ray. They stressed that they don’t mind the retroactive edits (doubtful, but they were being nice), they just wanted good digital copies of the original cuts, too. Lucas’s response? An eyeroll and a huffy, “Grow up. These are my movies, not yours.”
    http://www.personalitypage.com/INFJ.html
    "Because the INFJ has such strong intuitive capabilities, they trust their own instincts above all else. This may result in an INFJ stubborness and tendency to ignore other people's opinions. They believe that they're right. On the other hand, INFJ is a perfectionist who doubts that they are living up to their full potential. INFJs are rarely at complete peace with themselves - there's always something else they should be doing to improve themselves and the world around them. They believe in constant growth, and don't often take time to revel in their accomplishments. They have strong value systems, and need to live their lives in accordance with what they feel is right. In deference to the Feeling aspect of their personalities, INFJs are in some ways gentle and easy going. Conversely, they have very high expectations of themselves, and frequently of their families. They don't believe in compromising their ideals."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  4. #74
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Funny how every time a celebrity gets "huffy" it makes the news.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  5. #75
    Warflower Nijntje's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    3,225

    Default

    It didn't really make the news. This is taken from a dedicated gossip site, it's their job to have huffiness covered.

    Actual journalism wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole.

    Also, the huffiness is indicative of an ego overblown by a separation from reality, fans and of what made the original idea so good.

    Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.
    .



    Conclusion: Dinosaurs


  6. #76
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    It didn't really make the news. This is taken from a dedicated gossip site, it's their job to have huffiness covered.

    Actual journalism wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole.

    Also, the huffiness is indicative of an ego overblown by a separation from reality, fans and of what made the original idea so good.
    Well yes, I know it didn't literally make the national news services. It's just gossip. Like the time when someone said Piers Anthony is an 'ogre' at sci-fi/fantasy conventions, and then it gets around the internet and such.

    Lucas's huffiness is also a sign of the type call I gave him above.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  7. #77
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Well yes, I know it didn't literally make the national news services. It's just gossip. Like the time when someone said Piers Anthony is an 'ogre' at sci-fi/fantasy conventions, and then it gets around the internet and such.
    Piers Anthony -- ha ha, he's such a punny guy! (Ironically, I scanned Anthony as INFJ.)

    As far as type goes, I tend to scan Lucas as IFP with a huge male ego. Probably more S than N, because he focuses on tangible detail in terms of what he structures well but he does poorly with the abstract and loses all sense of nuance. (Luke's story itself and the sense of heroic male questing to find himself seemed to be very inspirational to him and central to the entire narrative, he was immersed in all of that outside of Star Wars back when he was first developing it... but the Luke we see in Return of the Jedi is kind of fuzzy ... it's like someone faking INFP style rather than someone who instinctively knows how to handle the nuance in N).

    The problem with an INFJ read is that typically Ti gets developed to support Ni, but Lucas' Ti (the sense of internal logic that makes a narrative rationally coherent) is just absolutely abysmal. In fact, he only got worse as he aged. An Fi-Ni combo is far more believable there, especially when tertiary Ni enters mild paranoia of other opinions and the motivations of critics. The ISFP read explains the great quality of visual and sound aesthetics too... but where the experience itself justifies how it's all hung together as if all the plot elements are equal in nature and we are just wandering from image and sound to image and sound for the experience, rather than an actual coherent logic. ISFPs can definitely be more well-rounded than this (as any type can be), but I consider Lucas to have avoided some of the natural growth that occurs as people age because he had success at an early age and thus had no real limitations placed on him that would force changes.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #78
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    I wasn't absolutely sure Lucas is INTJ, but then I read this about his marriage:

    http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/marcialucas.html

  9. #79
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Piers Anthony -- ha ha, he's such a punny guy! (Ironically, I scanned Anthony as INFJ.)

    As far as type goes, I tend to scan Lucas as IFP with a huge male ego. Probably more S than N, because he focuses on tangible detail in terms of what he structures well but he does poorly with the abstract and loses all sense of nuance. (Luke's story itself and the sense of heroic male questing to find himself seemed to be very inspirational to him and central to the entire narrative, he was immersed in all of that outside of Star Wars back when he was first developing it... but the Luke we see in Return of the Jedi is kind of fuzzy ... it's like someone faking INFP style rather than someone who instinctively knows how to handle the nuance in N).

    The problem with an INFJ read is that typically Ti gets developed to support Ni, but Lucas' Ti (the sense of internal logic that makes a narrative rationally coherent) is just absolutely abysmal. In fact, he only got worse as he aged. An Fi-Ni combo is far more believable there, especially when tertiary Ni enters mild paranoia of other opinions and the motivations of critics. The ISFP read explains the great quality of visual and sound aesthetics too... but where the experience itself justifies how it's all hung together as if all the plot elements are equal in nature and we are just wandering from image and sound to image and sound for the experience, rather than an actual coherent logic. ISFPs can definitely be more well-rounded than this (as any type can be), but I consider Lucas to have avoided some of the natural growth that occurs as people age because he had success at an early age and thus had no real limitations placed on him that would force changes.
    Lucas has done other things than Star Wars, of course. So that has to be critiqued with regard to Lucas's personality type. But I don't know what you mean when you say that the narrative is incoherent and that the plot experience wanders from sound to image to sound. I did however like your point about natural growth not occurring, because Lucas does strike me as a typical "adult child."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  10. #80
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Lucas has done other things than Star Wars, of course. So that has to be critiqued with regard to Lucas's personality type. But I don't know what you mean when you say that the narrative is incoherent and that the plot experience wanders from sound to image to sound. I did however like your point about natural growth not occurring, because Lucas does strike me as a typical "adult child."
    Hmm, I thought that middle part would be the easiest to see.

    I've compared ISFPs before to pastiche artists, and Lucas excels at creating a visual experience (and audial) in the "now" moment -- in any given second, you can capture an image or sound from his work and it's flawlessly executed and often groundbreaking. However, in terms of an ongoing rhythm/flow and narrative, he starts to falter; he does okay with SOME action sequences but typically loses suspense out of his sequence, he films it just as it is, without any real flare or nuance to it, and in terms of anything actually abstract like character growth or coherency, at best he deals with very broad archetypes but has no idea how a personality ebbs and flows while moving. (For example, as a gross example, the Darth Vader in one trilogy is not the same personality as the Darth Vader in the other, there's no real sense of coherence; but we see this even from scene to scene, the characters seem EXTREMELY static.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Similar Threads

  1. How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
    By Olm the Water King in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-26-2016, 10:09 PM
  2. Visit America! (and travel our road to ruin.)
    By Mal12345 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-2013, 07:18 PM
  3. George Lucas's 1978 Star Wars Holiday Special
    By Mal12345 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2012, 08:21 AM
  4. Ruin my childhood cartoons why don't you?
    By esidebill in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 05:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO