User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    No, we might have forgiven him for that, I fear it is much worse.
    He sold his soul to the devil originally to be able to come up with and make the movies and now the devil is just fucking with us for shits and giggles?

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    Make sure that you get them to watch some hitchcock, mainly psycho
    Rear Window!
    Dial M for Murder!

( Grace Kelly)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I have to say, i LAUGHED at many points through the last two prequels at how utterly terrible Christiansen's acting was and how awful the dialogue between he and Portman was. Then i'd get distracted by the pretty clothes she's be wearing and lull myself into a state of calm.
    I think it just shows the difference of good directing vs bad. Obviously Portman can act, if she has the right script and the right director; she sucked womp rat butt, though, in these movies. Even my children heckled these movies. When someone in the family is getting histrionic about something nowadays, in fact, I just have to proclaim, "Oh, ANAKIN -- you're breaking my HEART!!!" and mock-swoon, and all my kids start laughing really hard and the situation is diffused. (Thank you, George Lucas! My family is a better place because of you!) In any case, it's why I can't really watch them. I feel shame and embarrassment for the actors watching them struggle with the material.

The cutscene style Lucas employs, too, diminishes dramatic arc rather than accentuating it; maybe he's hailing back to his days of youth at the melodramas, but even a great sequence like Darth Maul fighting off Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon w/ the double-bladed saber is just ruined in intensity by the cutting that was done.

Finally the needless reframing of iconic material (midicholorians??? WTF??????!!!! WTF were you smoking????) just ruined anything good about the original mythos. Tweaking and nudging things that don't need to be fixed resulted in defacing some of the best ideas Lucas ever had, he just doesn't know where to stop his meddling and so kills inspiration.

It's that way for much of it, all three movies are really geared toward the psychological and artistic and mental maturity of a 10-12 year old boy. It's a shame. The third movie had a bit more depth but could have been so much more... and besides, we always knew what the ending would be; it was more of a question of how we got there. WHich isn't even quite believable because Darth Vader makes a distinct MBTI personality shift between the first trilogy and the latter.

In any case, I can see a case for remastering the movies, but how many directors get to redo all their old movies? Or even WANT to go back and redo them? Lucas can only do it because he has a buttload of money and a built-in market, otherwise this conversation wouldn't even be occurring.

He sold his soul to the devil originally to be able to come up with and make the movies and now the devil is just fucking with us for shits and giggles?
    Yes, Darth Vader is using the nefarious "Jedi Gloved Force Fist" on the fan base in ways that Obi-Wan only hinted at in the barest of whispers.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Yeah, i'm sorry, but i have to totally disagree with you here, like @Jennifer said, if these were novels, he wouldn't be able to mess with them.

I understand that he's more than likely got a lot of flack from fanboys over the years for the changes, or for the visual effects, but really, if you're bitching about the quality of special effects in the 70's and disputing the laws of physics shown in his movies, then you're not a real fan in the first place. SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF, PEOPLE, SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF.

So, while I understand his snarky comment to someone tearing his movies a new one, like a previous poster did, simply asking if the original ones, that he and other people (the important fact here, they're not just HIS movies) collaborated on, that were so generation and genre defining, to be able to view in their original non buffed up state is not too much to ask.
    I think you're right. I was simply explaining his actions, not excusing them. That said, it's got to be hard to hear clueless people denigrating your work.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Haha. I notice the more the Star Wars become his original vision, the more it shows how limited his talent actually was. He was an idea man, not a dialog man, or a story guy, or even a great director. The limitations he was up against made his movies better. He had to focus more on the people more than he wanted because the setting was too expensive to generate to the degree he can now. :P I missed the boat on SW fever by a few years, so his betrayal doesn't strike me as deep.. but yeah, it sucks what he has done with his legacy.
    Kekeke, I noticed this when I saw one of the newer 'prequels'. Some of the writing in the story was just bad. I watched one of the movies in the theater right when it came out (first night) and it was packed. There's a point where Natalie Portman's Princess Leia is knocked off some space scooter looking thing and hits the sand and rolls off. Then a few seconds later some red shirt (I know, wrong universe, same concept "random space extra") guard approaches her and asks "are you okay" and she dusts herself off and says, "yes I'm fine" and then walks off.

I swear to gawd, 75% of the theater erupted into twitters, and not the favorable kind. We were all snickering at how completely pointless and poorly executed that entire scene was and just ridiculous. First time I've experienced that watching a movie where we're laughing at how poorly done something is. It was a ham job.

Carrie Fisher joked that George Lucas was a terrible director, not good with his staff, gave no direction, and thought of actors as "meat" and would basically yell "now do it!"

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    George Lucas is a hack who got lucky once. The end.
    Kekekke.

But he did create an awesome, fun, western inspired universe that people love rollicking around in and can easily place themselves in. Don't forget the Ewoks! No wonder why he teams up with "Indiana Jones" Steven Spielberg.

Personally, I love Dune but that series is cerebral, dystopic, ginormous, and a bit too 'hard core' sci fi to turn in a successful modern series of movies. But dang, didn't Kyle Machlachlan look good in the first one?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

It makes sense doesn't it!

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Rear Window!
    Dial M for Murder!

( Grace Kelly)
    I've always had a soft spot for Vertigo, but whatever, they're all good...

Didn't really care for Vertigo. Just didn't buy into the relationship between Novak and Stewart's characters.

However, North by Northwest is the shiznit.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    However, North by Northwest is the shiznit.
    Agreed.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    There was American Graffiti..
    And THX 1138 (of course, he had to go back and fuck that one up, too)

If I was a Star Wars fan, this would probably piss me off... But I'm not nor ever have been.

Let the Trekkies of the world celebrate the continuing bastardization of this overrated franchise. Suck it, Jedi junkies.

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Can't I be both?

Besides, 'Enterprise' sucked ass, apart from T'Pol.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs