First 34567 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Wow. I don't defend Lucas for pretty much anything, but WTF? Do you know how rudimentary visual effects were in 1977? What was accomplished in this movie was amazing. And if you want to complain that a sci-fi movie with a neurotic robot, something called "the Force", a spaceship-piloting Bigfoot, and that double-bun haircut didn't hew closely enough to the laws of physics, then I wonder how you manage to enjoy anything at all. This is exhibit 1-A in the case of why George Lucas went off on those people, even if those people in particular were not worthy targets.
    Jesus. Yes, despite my bitching about Lucas, he changed the face of scifi movie-making and maybe movies in general. I do strongly admire how much determination, dedication, and effort went into Star Wars -- just painstaking months and manhours figuring out how to put together all those shots, create the models, etc. (It reminds me of when 20-somethings bitch about things my generation didn't accomplish, things that aren't possible without the Internet, not remembering that when we were their age, the Internet didn't even exist and it was damned harder to connect with and mobilize people, as well as find timely information on a variety of topics. )

I've had the pleasure of coaching my own teens in important "cinema" history -- just this past week, we were discussing Terminator 2 and what a big deal it was because Cameron pioneered the entire "morph" tech for modern cinema. Within two years, cheap morph programs were the rage for accelerating home computer tech, and nowadays we bitch and complain about how morphing was not done properly or wasn't quite perfect.... but Cameron created that expression of the technology that now has been used for almost 20 years in modern cinema. I certainly wouldn't bust on any flaws that might be evident in T2, it was a trendsetter. And Lucas did much of the same throughout the rest of the 70's and through the 80's, until computers started to really become viable.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Anew Leaf

Star Wars le original was awesome, amazing, and I used to watch it every saturday morning with a taped off of tv tape that I had....

but the prequels? every few years I get lulled into complacency and I think, you should buy them! And then I will randomly (like this past week) be flipping through channels and stumble across "Attack of the Clones".... and inevitably it is ALWAYS in the part where hayden christiansen tries to sex up natalie portmans non-sand skin, and it makes me want to gouge my eyes out anew.

MBTI
    nerd

the problem is that the only one he would ever listen to out of the sea of voices calling him a fucking idiot was his ex-wife. without her privileged input he's totally tinfoil-hat-cement-ears, all balls-to-the-wall-let's-take-this-bad-idea-inject-it-with-steroids-and-pump-a-million-dollars-into-its-rectum typical intj style.

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by fripping View Post
    the problem is that the only one he would ever listen to out of the sea of voices calling him a fucking idiot was his ex-wife. without her privileged input he's totally tinfoil-hat-cement-ears, all balls-to-the-wall-let's-take-this-bad-idea-inject-it-with-steroids-and-pump-a-million-dollars-into-its-rectum typical intj style.
    So far, this is my favourite response.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

I guess George Lucas never learned that power corrupts.

There is a point where adding more cheese will just lead the finished product to develop mould. Noooo! (shudders)

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Wow. I don't defend Lucas for pretty much anything, but WTF? Do you know how rudimentary visual effects were in 1977? What was accomplished in this movie was amazing. And if you want to complain that a sci-fi movie with a neurotic robot, something called "the Force", a spaceship-piloting Bigfoot, and that double-bun haircut didn't hew closely enough to the laws of physics, then I wonder how you manage to enjoy anything at all. This is exhibit 1-A in the case of why George Lucas went off on those people, even if those people in particular were not worthy targets.

Yeah, i'm sorry, but i have to totally disagree with you here, like @Jennifer said, if these were novels, he wouldn't be able to mess with them.

I understand that he's more than likely got a lot of flack from fanboys over the years for the changes, or for the visual effects, but really, if you're bitching about the quality of special effects in the 70's and disputing the laws of physics shown in his movies, then you're not a real fan in the first place. SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF, PEOPLE, SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF.

So, while I understand his snarky comment to someone tearing his movies a new one, like a previous poster did, simply asking if the original ones, that he and other people (the important fact here, they're not just HIS movies) collaborated on, that were so generation and genre defining, to be able to view in their original non buffed up state is not too much to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Star Wars le original was awesome, amazing, and I used to watch it every saturday morning with a taped off of tv tape that I had....

but the prequels? every few years I get lulled into complacency and I think, you should buy them! And then I will randomly (like this past week) be flipping through channels and stumble across "Attack of the Clones".... and inevitably it is ALWAYS in the part where hayden christiansen tries to sex up natalie portmans non-sand skin, and it makes me want to gouge my eyes out anew.
    Agreed, twin, agreed. *nod*

I have to say, i LAUGHED at many points through the last two prequels at how utterly terrible Christiansen's acting was and how awful the dialogue between he and Portman was. Then i'd get distracted by the pretty clothes she's be wearing and lull myself into a state of calm.

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    I guess George Lucas never learned that power corrupts.

There is a point where adding more cheese will just lead the finished product to develop mould. Noooo! (shudders)
    OH MY GOD, HE'S GONE TO THE DARK SIDE OF THE FORCE!!

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    OH MY GOD, HE'S GONE TO THE DARK SIDE OF THE FORCE!!
    No, we might have forgiven him for that, I fear it is much worse.

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Jesus. Yes, despite my bitching about Lucas, he changed the face of scifi movie-making and maybe movies in general. I do strongly admire how much determination, dedication, and effort went into Star Wars -- just painstaking months and manhours figuring out how to put together all those shots, create the models, etc. (It reminds me of when 20-somethings bitch about things my generation didn't accomplish, things that aren't possible without the Internet, not remembering that when we were their age, the Internet didn't even exist and it was damned harder to connect with and mobilize people, as well as find timely information on a variety of topics. )

I've had the pleasure of coaching my own teens in important "cinema" history -- just this past week, we were discussing Terminator 2 and what a big deal it was because Cameron pioneered the entire "morph" tech for modern cinema. Within two years, cheap morph programs were the rage for accelerating home computer tech, and nowadays we bitch and complain about how morphing was not done properly or wasn't quite perfect.... but Cameron created that expression of the technology that now has been used for almost 20 years in modern cinema. I certainly wouldn't bust on any flaws that might be evident in T2, it was a trendsetter. And Lucas did much of the same throughout the rest of the 70's and through the 80's, until computers started to really become viable.
    Make sure that you get them to watch some hitchcock, mainly psycho.

I remember going to see the remake that Gus Van Sant did in '98 (that was pretty much a scene for scene remake of the original), when the shower scene came up, WITHOUT A TRACE OF IRONY, the girl behind me made an audible guffaw and remarked "That's SOOOOOO been done before".

I wanted to tell her to get out. Right now. GET OUT, YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS WATCHING THIS.

Insert Snarky Quip Here Stigmata's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I finally decided to solidify myself as a nerd and earn my Star Wars merit badge, and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the first three prequels much more than the actual series. Although at times it seemed as if the first three tried to be overly complicated plot wise, they just 'made sense' in comparison to the first ones(4th and onward). First off, despite the prequels having somewhat overly formulaic dialog, I much prefer that than the first films' actors sounding so...plain; Luke's supposed to be from Tatooine, not Wisconsin. Also, the prequels actually provides a layer of depth to the force beyond when asked Obi-wan basically responding with "Lol, I'm a wizard, bitch. Don't ask."

I dunno, maybe I would think different had I of seen them in their respective era. I decided to do a little google browsing of this topic and most of the complains toward the newer films seemed very exaggerated and generally aren't articulated beyond "I saw these films when I was a kid and they changed them. I hate it because it's different than what I'm used to!". Apparently people don't like when they try to expand beyond the easy-to-grasp sci-fi beat 'em up.

Please don't run me out of the Village with pitchforks and burning torches.
    Last edited by Stigmata; 09-10-2011 at 05:17 AM.