User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Cool or unusual things you've done that most people you know haven't

Patron Saint Of Smileys Array Gloriana's Avatar

- Took off to England for a month when I was 20, alone.

- Wrote and directed a few short (albeit, rather crappy) films.

- Acted in three feature length indy (albeit, rather crappy) films.

- Saw my name on a big screen in a drive-in for the premiere of one of those films (as well as the name of the puppet I used in said film).

- Performed in an Improv comedy troupe for 3 years.

- Did broadcast radio theater on-and-off for a year.

- Ran down a pickpocket who stole my camera on the London Underground, got my shit back.

- Married a British dude.

- Lived in England on-and-off for a year.

- Drove up the east coast of the states, Florida to Pennsylvania and New York, twice, by myself.

- Met David Sedaris at a signing, didn't make a complete babbling ass of myself.

- Met Eric Hutchinson after a gig, didn't make a fawning fool of myself.

- Got on MTV's "Dreamtime" over the phone when I was sixteen, VJ Eric Palladino sang me a lullaby.

- Started a weird 'neighborhood meme' when I was sixteen by passing around a video of a short wannabe-hitman movie my older brother had made called 'The Game'. It made its way around town and you were only 'in' if you had seen this thing. People would tell me "You know the top hat killer in that movie? I know that guy, he's cool" never knowing it was my own brother they were talking about.

- At seventeen, I took revenge on a couple of popular girls who routinely destroyed my property and the property of other girls. I tossed a dead baby opossum in the open backseat window of their car after they launched pennies at me and called me a whore in a parking lot. Not particularly proud of that, but not particularly ashamed either.

- Subdued and beat the crap out of a dude who punched a girl friend.

- Saw 'Trainspotting' in theaters 14 times.

- Walked ten miles in a pounding rainstorm to see 'Trainspotting' because our local theater only had it for one weekend and no one would drive me.

- Saved $8,000+ of my own money before I was 20.

- Kissed a complete stranger in Penn Station in New York, won $30 on a bet.

- The same day, I got stuck on the broken down Long Island Railroad for two hours. My friend and I fought our way off the train and legged it about four miles down the tracks to our station. We beat the train there by a half hour.

- Got caught shoplifting a magazine when I was fifteen, actually enjoyed the 'scared straight' program.

- Made over $1,500 dealing in college term papers to help pay rent when I was 23, got A's and B's, and only two C's even though I've never been to college.

- Co-founded a local film coalition in Tampa to help directors, writers, actors, techs, and other creative folks find work with each other (now defunct but it lasted three years).

- Crapped in a bucket and showered with the outside hose for a week but saved $1,000 on costs for a plumber when our septic tank killed itself.

- Laid down laminate flooring throughout most of a 4-bedroom house, painted it inside and out, changed fixtures, restored furniture, fixed basic plumbing, replaced/varnished new molding, re-did landscaping, and installed new insulation by myself.

- Went to an anti-war protest in Washington D.C.

- Filmed my dinosaur puppet protesting at the anti-war protest.

- Regularly film my dinosaur puppet in public.

- Got taken to Mickey Mouse jail when a friend dumped a whole goddamn cup of soda off the old Disney World skyway ride when I was twelve. Got cavity searched by Goofy (Okay, that last part of it is bullshit, but a fun mental image all the same).
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

4w5 sp/sx

Meh, things feel boring as soon as you did them, and the most interesting things are done by necessity (see @Mkenya's list), thus the curse "May you live in interesting times".

• My playground was the Chihuahua desert.
    • I was a closet teenage hoodlum: tagger graffiti, petty crime, pipe bombs and computer hacking and scamming.
    • I'm a successful HS dropout.
    • Voluntarily left a Bible cult at 16 and went out on my own, my exodus was marked with a Greyhound Bus journey including some very colorful characters, a 400 mile detour, and being on French TV.
    • I have experienced almost every sleep disorder for just long enough to have a story: paralysis, lucid dreaming, sleep walking, apnea, and various experiences of hypnagogic states.
    • Have fought to the front and held position in a multitude of metal concerts. If you don't think it's an accomplishment, then you've probably never seen Motorhead in person. I'm actually not a metalhead.
    • Have done demo and restoration work on a Victorian home. Didn't get the job done, but I have tons of knowledge about construction and Victoriana and turn of the century archetecture.
    • I've made a robot. (not a sex robot).
    • I was the only person to volunteer to help my Hapkido instructor test for his 3rd degree blackbelt, which means there's an hour's worth of footage of me getting my ass kicked and being thrown around like a rag doll.
    • ??? There's probably more, or if not, there will be. Looking forward to international travel when things settle down.

I had 8 teeth surgically taken out... a couple baby teeth and the rest extra teeth.
    I lived in an orphanage.
    I have been in a full body cast before
    Almost got detained at the airport police on xmas eve

4w5 sx/sp

skipped a grade in a school
    rode an elephant too, guess it's pretty common
    lived 8 places in 6 years
    had crack cooked (and smoked) in my apartment
    pulled a donkey in a 4th of july parade
    met will smith

4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Taken a green and blue doodoo.
    this happened to me once. eating 2 boxes of fruit gushers in one sitting was probably unwise.

Reading this thread makes me realize I'm awfully normal. I mean, almost everybody seems to have written some books/plays/...! And published! I've never published anything :pout: except self-publishing.

I've been to Bolivia three times.
    I've visited the LHC when it was being built. Actually walked in the underground ring and looked at the detectors.
    I've cleaned an antique carriage that's now displayed in a museum.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

-Been through war twice in my life time(thus far).
    -Lived in four different countries for a few years, each on a different continent.
    -I've been on a plane more times than I can count. At the LEAST four times every four to six months.

That's all that comes to mind.

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar

-Was a member of a hung jury
    -Went to Russia alone, in December, for 10 days when I was 25
    -Work(ed) at a Ren Faire
    -Studied French, Spanish, Russian and Irish formally, as well as Turkish, Belarusian, Dutch, and Croatian on my own
    -Got engaged and married on the anniversary our our first date (June 14, 2006, 2008 and 2009)
    -Translated a novel from French into English and had it published
    -Had both translated and original poems published
    -Have never been pulled by a cop while driving
    -Had a picnic in the middle of one of the "leaves" of a freeway clover-leaf interchange
    -Took a fencing class in college
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert

5w4 sx/sp

Weird what passes for cool or unusual these days...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloriana View Post
    - Lived in England on-and-off for a year.
    By that standard my life has been quite exceptional.

I knew there was a reason I visited this site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

we used to raise orphaned Joeys (Kangaroos) and one of them used to follow me to primary school every day then wander off back home.

Been chased by a tiger snake and nearly stepped on a stone fish, had nurse shark brush past me and nearly stepped on one while snorkelling.

Australia will kill you don't you know?

There's a butt-tonne of other stuff. but i like that the best.

@JivinJeffJones has been bitten by a lion and a dolphin. He'd make a terrible hippy.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs