User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

So anyway, the next phase of this thread is "Things you've never done, that most people you know have, but you are planning on doing in the near future".

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    By the way, isn't it pretty common for Americans never to have left the country?
    Perhaps, but "most people I know" have at least been to either Vancouver or Tijuana

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    You guys need to get out more.
    Easier said than done

Oh, and also I haven't watched the entire Titanic, or played WoW, and didn't bother to take part in many other popular movies/games

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I don't see this attitude at all, but then I live in CA & people tend to be very open here. That's why I'm actually one of the few people I know who hasn't been to Europe yet.

I'm not sure what knowledge of world geography has to do with interest in travel either...that's like saying you need to know art history to have a desire to paint. Lack of knowledge ≠ lack of desire.
    Mm, not really the same thing. I've met Americans who thought Ireland was in Germany, or they're surprised that the Irish speak English, or that Canada isn't just "that bit above New York" (and that was an American I met in Paris)....that sort of thing. And have many other similar stories.

To me that indicates an extreme lack of curiosity, because it's not that hard to figure out that Ireland is not in Germany even if you don't know exactly where either place is, or even if your school system doesn't teach geography that well.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Mm, not really the same thing. I've met Americans who thought Ireland was in Germany, or they're surprised that the Irish speak English, or that Canada isn't just "that bit above New York" (and that was an American I met in Paris)....that sort of thing. And have many other similar stories.

To me that indicates an extreme lack of curiosity, because it's not that hard to figure out that Ireland is not in Germany even if you don't know exactly where either place is, or even if your school system doesn't teach geography that well.
    It IS the same concept. If a person wanted to draw but did not bother to research art, that would not indicate a lack of curiosity in trying to draw, it would indicate a disinterest in reading about art. Some people don't have an interest in looking up info, but they'd have an interest in experiencing something new. So the comparison stands.

I've met many people from other countries (lots of tourists in CA) with ridiculous notions about the US & other countries, ranging from geography to culture to history. These handfuls of stories tend to stand out because of their ridiculousness. I wouldn't characterize their entire country's citizens by their personal ignorance either. Living in the US, such Americans you describe would stand out to me also because they'd be exceptionally lacking in knowledge. Many may not be able to pinpoint the exact location of a smaller country on a map, but few would not know that Canada stretches across the North American continent.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's true that the lousy vacation time in America and Canada doesn't help at all... Europeans (or those who live in Europe!) are really spoiled for that.

I know a lot of people in Canada who haven't really travelled besides to Mexico or Hawaii, or even haven't left the province. I guess I grew up with a travel mentality so I'm a bit spoiled that way.

I do think the US has a very insular mentality which doesn't help though...sorry if it sounds insulting, but that is my impression. A lot of Americans seem to have a very poor grasp of geography, for one thing.

IN terms of geographical area, Europe isn't big compared to the US, but there is a lot more cultural variety in the various countries than across the US (although I'd say there's quite a bit more cultural variety across the US than across Canada.) So it is admittedly much easier for Europeans to travel and experience different cultures than for anyone in North America.
    Yes, you just hit the nail on the head. AMERICA IS BIG. We travel all over our own country, and it's the same space as several countries in Europe. I remember my INTJ math professor saying to me, "Well your next door neighbors all speak English, not Polish or Ukranian, so why would you speak three languages? There's no practical motive." And I realized he was right.

An American could have traveled a long distance and through unique subcultures AND STILL BE IN THE UNITED STATES. There are different climates and topographical regions and cultures within our own country.

So I think that has a lot to do with it.

Also, your schools are better and the United States is run through with a very, very heavy nationalism and sense of self-importance, so this also explains what you're deeming "a lack of curiosity." It's probably more like self-assured arrogance.

I, for one, have always loved learning history, geography, and about other cultures, as well as meeting many, many people from various parts of the world, and I'm quite proud of being this sort of person, but it's probably partly a mix of my natural disposition and the education and influence I received at home from my family, especially my grandfather.

Thinking about it I have done a lot of random stuff but not some very common things.

> I have never been in a proper relationship.
    > I have never been drunk (and like to keep it that way)
    > I have never been to South America.
    > I have never coloured my hair.
    > I have never owned a car.
    > I have never watched Titanic.
    > I have never had a proper office job (only internships)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Used foundation. I do wear makeup (though not a lot) but I genuinely do not think I have ever used foundation. And partly as a result, I think, I have great skin, and people have often thought I'm wearing some sort of flawless makeup...
    P.S. you don't wear foundation because you have great skin, not the other way around...that's about genes, mostly, not a result from you refraining from wearing foundation

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    P.S. you don't wear foundation because you have great skin, not the other way around...that's about genes, mostly, not a result from you refraining from wearing foundation
    yeah I hear you... I had acne as a teen though...not horribly, but the sort of average quite a lot of pimples. Still get them occasionally. But I never wore foundation to cover it up (tried to deal in other ways, like a bit of concealer, and Clearasil!), and I think that helped to keep my skin clear. My impression is that a lot of girls start wearing foundation way too early to cover the acne or because they think it's something they're supposed to do, and it just helps to clog up their pores and makes the problem worse so it becomes a bit of a vicious circle. I could be wrong though...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Also, your schools are better and the United States is run through with a very, very heavy nationalism and sense of self-importance, so this also explains what you're deeming "a lack of curiosity." It's probably more like self-assured arrogance.
    Yeah, that is probably more what I'm getting at. I think Canadians have quite a different mentality from Americans though superficially we are quite similar. We can be pretty nationalistic too but it's just...different. I do know that I don't relate to it and always felt more at home in Europe, but I always travelled more in Europe (I have one European parent, Finnish, and one Canadian parent.) I grew up near the border but although I've been to the US a bunch of times, my travel there has been much less than in Europe (even before I moved to Europe).

It does have a lot to do with what you grow up with and I had a lot of travel opportunities and a very history/geography/culture-inclined family. Then again, I also know people who didn't grow up with any of that and have found their way to a great deal of adventurousness and hunger for travel and knowledge of other cultures.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah, that is probably more what I'm getting at. I think Canadians have quite a different mentality from Americans though superficially we are quite similar. We can be pretty nationalistic too but it's just...different. I do know that I don't relate to it and always felt more at home in Europe, but I always travelled more in Europe (I have one European parent, Finnish, and one Canadian parent.) I grew up near the border but although I've been to the US a bunch of times, my travel there has been much less than in Europe (even before I moved to Europe).

It does have a lot to do with what you grow up with and I had a lot of travel opportunities and a very history/geography/culture-inclined family. Then again, I also know people who didn't grow up with any of that and have found their way to a great deal of adventurousness and hunger for travel and knowledge of other cultures.
    Americans see their culture permeating everything, though. For many years they got the message that our culture was the dominant force in the world. Some people are content with that, and satisfy their need for geography by learning about the fifty states and satisfy their need for adventure by jumping off of cliffs or white water rafting or driving from the East coast to the West coast and seeing the entire nation that way.

Some people love to travel...within the country, road trips, et al...and even when they go to other countries on business or holiday, they expect a certain amount of the dominant culture they've expected for themselves to be established there as well, and therefore will stay at Americanized resorts rather than places that have the cultural flavor of that country, or by hosteling.

Some Americans will look at you like you have three heads if you even say the word "hostel."

I dunno, man...like I said, it was prioritized in my household ...I had maps and a globe and I knew Italy looked like a boot and I had dolls wearing traditional costumes of other cultures up on my shelves. I was also taught to read from old school fairy tales, and things like Reader's Digest, National Geographic, and Time-Life (fill in the blank) were left lying about the house, with the silent suggestion that I should pick them up and read them, as well as the set of encyclopedias prominently displayed.

I think children are very affected by what they're exposed to. I read a lot of traditional, old-fashioned children's books and unsurprisingly therefore have a lot of interest in Western European culture...as well as Russian culture because of reading about the Bolshevik revolution and the Romanovs when I was 8; my grandfather also told stories about all the places he went while in the navy, like Germany and Japan and Argentina, AND I think it made a big impression on me that he went away to work in The Dominican Republic for 3 months when I was 8 or 9...my grandfather always made the world seem QUITE LARGE.

My great uncle Bill also would disappear randomly on road trips practically till the day he died, my great aunt Ruth would call us and ask us if he'd come to see us because he'd just ...take off...to another state...

I got some of the costumed dolls from my uncle Joe being in the Army, and going to England and Spain.

Now my nephew, who knew my grandfather in his final years, was heavily influenced by him and also video games, so unsurprisingly social studies is his best subject, he showed an interest in what the political parties were by the time he was eleven, and he is in love with Japan.