First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Hmm... As far as I know Americans have the reputation for not leaving the country much. (Canadians are similar but probably travel a bit more). A lot of them don't have a passport. Europeans are supposed to be bigger travellers.
    Until just the past few years, Americans didn't need a passport for Canada or Mexico. I know few people over the age of 25 or so who have never been to at least one of those countries. I think there's something called a "passcard" you can get now to travel to Canada or Mexico by land, so that's likely why the number of people with passports has not increased (the passcard is way cheaper, faster to process, etc).

It costs a lot of money & time to travel out of North America, many Americans get little to no paid vacation time, and so having a passport when you can't afford to go anywhere that needs one doesn't really make sense.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

When it comes to travelling to other countries Europeans have the convenience of being on a continent with a plethora of little countries. If a Frenchman says he's been to Spain, Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Italy, Andorra, Liechtenstein and Monaco it sounds impressive.

It doesn't sound quite so impressive when you consider that's about as much ground covered as California, Montana, Nevada, Utah, Idaho and Arizona (states I've been to).

Texas is bigger than any European country.

Sold my soul.
    Veni, Vidi, Cessi.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Until just the past few years, Americans didn't need a passport for Canada or Mexico. I know few people over the age of 25 or so who have never been to at least one of those countries. I think there's something called a "passcard" you can get now to travel to Canada or Mexico by land, so that's likely why the number of people with passports has not increased (the passcard is way cheaper, faster to process, etc).

It costs a lot of money & time to travel out of North America, many Americans get little to no paid vacation time, and so having a passport when you can't afford to go anywhere that needs one doesn't really make sense.
    It's true that the lousy vacation time in America and Canada doesn't help at all... Europeans (or those who live in Europe!) are really spoiled for that.

I know a lot of people in Canada who haven't really travelled besides to Mexico or Hawaii, or even haven't left the province. I guess I grew up with a travel mentality so I'm a bit spoiled that way.

I do think the US has a very insular mentality which doesn't help though...sorry if it sounds insulting, but that is my impression. A lot of Americans seem to have a very poor grasp of geography, for one thing.

IN terms of geographical area, Europe isn't big compared to the US, but there is a lot more cultural variety in the various countries than across the US (although I'd say there's quite a bit more cultural variety across the US than across Canada.) So it is admittedly much easier for Europeans to travel and experience different cultures than for anyone in North America.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Here's some more:

Been horseback riding
    Smoked (I took one puff of a cigarette out of curiousity but that was it)
    Done any drugs (excluding caffiene)
    Ordered room service in a hotel
    Rented a movie from Redbox
    Sewed anything (except for a button that came off)
    Changed a tire on my own (I really should learn how to do this)
    Played World of Warcraft
    Purchased a lottery ticket
    Had chicken pox
    Binged and purged food
    Bounced a check
    Sang Karoake
    Had a one night stand
    Been rejected by college (I only applied to ones I was reasonably sure of getting in)
    Owned a pet aside from fish
    Had or wanted to get a tattoo
    Seen the Godfather movie all the way through (I got bored)
    Posted my profile on an online dating site
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I do think the US has a very insular mentality which doesn't help though...sorry if it sounds insulting, but that is my impression. A lot of Americans seem to have a very poor grasp of geography, for one thing.
    I don't see this attitude at all, but then I live in CA & people tend to be very open here. That's why I'm actually one of the few people I know who hasn't been to Europe yet.

I'm not sure what knowledge of world geography has to do with interest in travel either...that's like saying you need to know art history to have a desire to paint. Lack of knowledge ≠ lack of desire.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I knew I wasn't sheltered, but damn...

You guys need to get out more.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post

My thoughts exactly...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Cool

ooo aren't you cool

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I've done things you can only DREAM about
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett