User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why do you hate Sci-Fi?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's boring.

8 66.67%
  • It's icky...I don't really know.

3 25.00%
  • It's stupid and unrealistic.

4 33.33%
  • It scares me.

2 16.67%
  • It doesn't scare me now, but scared me as a child and that left an impression.

5 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
12311 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default Who Shares My Hatred For Science Fiction?

One thing that I've observed on the Internet is the absolutely absurd number of people who like science-fiction. I'm not sure if this is due to the prevalence of NTs on the Internet or what, but I'd like to have a discussion about those of us who can't stand it.

Science fiction TERRIFIED me as a child. I hate the idea of moving away from nature, toward machines. When I was a little girl, space frightened more than most things, because it's a cold empty place without atmosphere and oxygen and gravity. There are no flowers, trees, or oceans there. Seriously, fuck that shit. I do not want to float around in a pod with no windows, and never be able to walk barefoot in the sunshine and lay in the grass. You couldn't pay me enough to go to space. I imagine that if I went to space, I'd be one of those people who either went insane or committed suicide.

"The future" did not appeal to me as a child (no really), and by "the future" I mean the science-fiction concept of people living with androids and robots and it even took me quite some time to adjust to computers. I utterly rejected computers (believe it or not) until I was about 20. I had some crazy moral objection to them, like they were making the world more sterile and mechanical, and less natural.

I also preferred the past to the future, in terms of concepts...history, historical buildings, ghosts...as opposed to science fiction and the commonly accepted commercial package that was sold to us as "the future" in the 1980's. NO, I DON'T LIKE BLADERUNNER.

I'm sure the song "In the Year 2525" by Zager and Evans didn't help, and neither did shit like The Planet of the Apes, my cousin running around scaring me and the other girls in the family with his Darth Vader mask, or 2010: A Space Odyssey...omg, HAL. NO THANK YOU.

So now it's 2011 and machines actually are taking people's jobs, and it's beginning to look like the human race is going to have to inhabit another planet at some point (not in our lifetime, but in a foreseeable future) because of the destruction to this planet. I'm decidedly unthrilled and sincerely hope I'm dead by the time that occurs.

But yeah, other than that, most Sci-Fi bores me, with the exception of a few of Jeff Noon's cyber-punk novels about near-future Manchester, England...which is also combined with things like pagan mythology.

Who hates Sci-Fi too? Speak up! Be loud! Be proud!

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Oh Marmie... Continuing with the anti-NT I see.

There is good and bad in any genre. Yes, there is a lot of bad sci-fi out there. And I don't mean bad as in implausible science, but bad as in the author appears only to have learned about humans by reading academic literature.

Good sci-fi has that necessary human element though and allows authors to explore deeper layers of humanity. Aspects that might be difficult to explore in a Victorian romance novel for example.

I'm not the biggest fan of sci-fi, but I have to admit I enjoyed things like Solaris and Battlestar. Bladerunner wasn't as good as the book.

Edit - fine, be that way... I'm sorry if I crossed some sort of line, but some of us have a bit more respect than hating on a whole genre.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's not anti-NT.

I really hate sci-fi.

You don't? Well, I asked WHO DOES HATE IT.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post

Edit - fine, be that way... I'm sorry if I crossed some sort of line,
    Yeah, accusing me of hating on NTs because of expressing my personal, subjective distaste for a certain kind of book in the Bonfire of all places, THEN repping me that you were laughing AT me was pretty fucked up. You're sorry *if* you crossed some sort of line? Are you really that socially ignorant that you don't realize what you did?

but some of us have a bit more respect than hating on a whole genre.
    Oh and now the moral superiority of inferior Fe comes out! Getting butthurt about subjective complaints about art in a Bonfire thread! Guess what? LOTS OF PEOPLE HATE HORROR MOVIES AND ROMANCE NOVELS AND ARE VERY OPEN ABOUT IT (I happen to love horror movies myself). I say I have a strong distaste for abstract art all of the time. People talk every day about how much they hate rap or country music. Give me a fucking break, son. I mean...what the...I don't even...

Is it more so a fear of what you do not understand rather than sci-fi itself? It seems you dislike the idea of a bleak futuristic existence and I'm sure you'll find a lot of people disprove of a cold robotic future aswell. I don't give a fuck about sci-fi really. I'll be dead by the time the future swings around because I'm an ignorant human cunt. It's a fun source of entertainment if i'm bored though.
    Veni, Vidi, Cessi.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    People talk every day about how much they hate rap or country music.
    And those people also expect that they will get defensive responses right? Not just a chorus of agreement?
    I was joking about the anti-NT thing, but I do apologise for that and the rep.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Science Fiction is an abstract thinkers mind point of refuge. It presents human ideas and mind sets of a possible future to prevent that possible future or to create a better one. It is on the one hand for an abstract thinker the opportunity to live out his thoughts and on the other hand for lesser abstract thinkers an opportunity to understand consequences and to see the big picture.

I am not so much afraid of machines, like I am afraid of the people using them. Without machines a lot of the luxury we have today wouldnt be possible. People still would be dieing, if a crop fails and earth population would be probably only 10% of what it is today. I am not the one to judge if that's what destiny had in mind for humanity but I am not the one to judge about who lives and who dies as well, therefore I see no way of denieing people machines.

My whole life has been devoted to mathematics and engineering, I am the impersonification of a machine builder and I build machines too that take jobs away from people. Those machines on the same hand do create new jobs and its sometimes the inflexibility of people to learn a new thing that makes the result happen of people loosing jobs. There is always a difficulty involved in an innovation process, always resulting in people loosing jobs, it has been a problem for year - thousands over the course of human history; yet the worst developments were always motivated out of human greed to earn the quick money and it wasnt the machines or the innovations doing the harm but humans.

Its never machines that harm people, its always people.

I am myself a very nature-dependant kind of guy; I am working in a 27,000 square feet huge production facility having huge drilling, milling and turning machines running everywhere, having around 500 people employed, welding, hammering, working hard all day and its loud, industrious, dirty and I am always glad when I can return to my office unhurt. But it never feels inhumane, because the people are having fun at work, are joking around, teasing each others, its a whole lot of fun running around there each day. Still when I have the opportunity to get out in the green, I am using it and my gf and me are planning to maybe have a little farm one day or at least move into a village in the outskirts.

I share the same fascination about engineering as I share the fascination about nature and as long as we ensure reasonable humans are leading us we can always have both. An engineer is a natural scientist in german and this means that all motivation about creating new things came from the fascination that is nature. And thats how it begans for me, its always how it begins.

When I am looking nowadays at a thunderstorm I dont do that without having a lot of thermodynamic principles running thru my head, thats a price you have to pay its not easy to purely enjoy beauty no more. But its people like you or my girlfriend who would help me to stay grounded and who hold me back when I am loosing sight for basic beauty and start to embark onto dangerous roads. Every action has a purpose in life, there is no opinion that is in vain.

When I am depressed or am having hard times and other people would turn to God, I turn to the stars and am overwhelmed by the vast amount of possible discoveries that are waiting out there. Ways of life by people we never never dreamt of so far, natural paradises we cant imagine in our wildest dreams. I was as a boy the same way afraid by sciene fiction like you were, I couldnt sleep for months after I watched planet of the apes or Terminator. But thats what science fiction is meant to be, its there to give us a waking call so we can emerge out of a tranquil nature that was blind for the consequences. Science Fiction predicted the nazis, it predicted what happens to peoples social skills if they live in a virtual world only, it predicted what happens to nature, when greedy industries eats its way thru it.

If we had and would listen more to what science fiction tells us and really try to understand it, a lot of troubles could have been or will be spared to us.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I dont hate, but i dont really care about it much either. but i dont really care about movies usually much. naturally there are few exceptions to movies in general and scifi
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I love it. It's my genre of choice.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

I like some science fiction, whether written or filmed. I didn't like the Star Wars trilogy or Star Trek. Dune was good, Illuminatus & Schrodinger's Cat trilogies were interesting, um....1984(not the movie) was ok, the one with Christian Bale where they shoot themselves up with something to control emotion. there's others that I liked, but I'm not a leg-humping sci-fi nerd like patches, i just happen to like weird books/movies that seem especially imaginative or obliquely informative.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”