User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why do you hate Sci-Fi?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's boring.

8 66.67%
  • It's icky...I don't really know.

3 25.00%
  • It's stupid and unrealistic.

4 33.33%
  • It scares me.

2 16.67%
  • It doesn't scare me now, but scared me as a child and that left an impression.

5 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I'm not a fan for the most part. It's not about fear of or disinterest in the future or the unknown; it's a matter of the way the stories are told. I find them dull much of the time. They actually feel very literal & often shallow, often focusing on plot & novelty than character development or communicating ideas.

The exception is that I sometimes like dystopia stories (ie. Brave New World) because of the ideas & comments on the current realities that they convey. There is that "warning" element to it, which is interesting; however, even that is becoming a cliche angle.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    First you hate the product, soon you hate the producer, in the end you will have annihilated all parts of production. I know the ilk.

I think you're the crazy one. I'm loony? I think someone who actually believes this about a thread about science-fiction in the bonfire section may need professional help, unless you're joking.

OH MY GOD I JUST HATE SCI-FI.

WHY DO PEOPLE HATE COUNTRY MUSIC?

ROMANCE NOVELS?

HORROR MOVIES?

YOU GUYS ARE ACTING LIKE I SAID I HATE MEXICANS.

Dear Christ in heaven, yes I know that some forms of sci-fi are better than others, but that doesn't make me like the genre anymore.

You also missed that I said I like a few Jeff Noon novels, all of you naggers who are saying "there's different types of sci-fi."

Thank you to anyone who didn't produce a ridiculous, off-topic, utterly butthurt response.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    Apparently, to some members, Sci-Fi seems to suck. All they need to do is take that next step and start believing that Sci-Fi objectively sucks and yes, thats when we'll have our sci-fi-nerd holocaust. *begins ordering bricks for the nerd ovens*
    lol LEGER...I'm not sure I've observed people overreact in such large numbers to something so TRIVIAL since I've been on this site....

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I HATE MEXICANS.
    *backs away slowly*

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    *backs away slowly*

Thanks for quoting me out of context.

(my ex is half Mexican, btw)

MBTI
    IsFJ

Thank you to anyone who didn't produce a ridiculous, off-topic, utterly butthurt response.
    Was mine one of those? I didn't mean to sound pedantic...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Was mine one of those? I didn't mean to sound pedantic...
    Well not really, though I think you may have taken the word "hate" too seriously...I was mainly talking about the people who were saying I was crazy, closed-minded, just didn't understand it, et al.

Trust me, I've tried to read Aldous Huxley and Terry Pratchett and George Orwell...I MAJORED IN LITERATURE FOR FUCK'S SAKE. I just don't care for the genre.

I can get similar "underlying ideas" from other genres, though maybe not some of the themes, but I'm sure some of these same people bitching wouldn't ever dare to seriously study the Horror/Gothic genre, or the Mystery genre, or the more serious levels of the Romantic genre (all of which I love) ...they also probably take no shame in complaining how much they hate country music, Southern rock, and/or white people from the South.

I could understand these responses if I had shown a pattern on the site of saying things like I want to control what other people read (um, I don't, I don't believe in censorship for the written word) or if I had said I despised a particular race or ethnic group...I'm pretty much the opposite of all that. I'm even the person in the political threads saying things like "well...I can see how some Republicans and libertarians *think* they're doing the most ethical things."

In short, these people apparently aren't talking about me, or if they are, they aren't doing it realistically in the slightest.

Enneagram

I MAJORED IN LITERATURE FOR FUCK'S SAKE. I just don't care for the genre.
    But you minored in French, so I think we can all agree your opinions are irrelevant. :P

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    But you minored in French, so I think we can all agree your opinions are irrelevant. :P
    I also majored in English lit and minored in French and my opinions are certainly not irrelevant. :p

On the subject of the OP, I love Ursula Le Guin, John Wyndham, Hitchhiker's Guide, Blade Runner, and Inception, among a few others, so I certainly don't hate sci-fi...but overall it's not one of my favourite genres.

Basically, I love it if it's good literature or good film. I think a lot of it isn't very. I'm more attracted to fantasy, but I'm also pretty picky about that as a genre as a lot of it is crap.

I also think that Brave New World and 1984 are two of the most prophetic pieces of literature ever written, and Orwell is a genius overall. But I don't think of them as sci-fi works, for whatever reason, though I guess technically they are. They transcend genre?
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Merde! Zut alors!

(hahahha )