User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why do you hate Sci-Fi?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's boring.

8 66.67%
  • It's icky...I don't really know.

3 25.00%
  • It's stupid and unrealistic.

4 33.33%
  • It scares me.

2 16.67%
  • It doesn't scare me now, but scared me as a child and that left an impression.

5 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 212930313233 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

ThatGirl

Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

What happened to this thread?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3FWpwhjgO4"]I took it back. 7:30-End.[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

The best part about sci-fi films is the wonderful acting.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    But I do like advancement in technology if it saves lives, improves the quality of life, or serves a practical purpose. That's reality, though. That has nothing to do with liking sci-fi or not, as a genre. I don't read mysteries because I actually like murder.
    I was looking at your reasons for your hate. One of the reasons you stated for hating sci-fi is the perceived "danger" of losing connection to the environment or what is supposedly "natural", including switching from human labor to robotic labor.

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    There's a fear of obsolence and decay at play, I think. Like you're the next thing to be swallowed by the sands of time, after all the things you cherished in the past have been relegated to the realm of the museum.
    Yeah, change means the destruction of the self..sort of. On the other hand, we change every millisecond, hence 'destroyed' every millisecond. On the original hand, more time, more destruction. I think people should just let go of this mentality and look beyond themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    It's because technology and "advancement" create a hamster wheel that turns faster but doesn't really go anywhere, because increased production fosters increased expectation. Let's take FedEx. When it was introduced, overnight delivery was a boon and a valuable service compared to the mail. But soon enough, overnight became the new standard and FedEx was a necessity, not an advantage. We're running to stand still. Past a certain point, technology complicates life without appreciably improving it.
    You're talking about the subjectivity of expectation not the reality of the people's economic conditions. Sure, people in the advanced future might feel as satisfied as we do today but that doesn't change the fact that there is an overall greater survival rate. I think the perception you present here is valid for "futuristic problems", but people today are more than the ones in your developed country. Impoverished countries don't even think of mailing.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    You're talking about the subjectivity of expectation not the reality of the people's economic conditions. Sure, people in the advanced future might feel as satisfied as we do today but that doesn't change the fact that there is an overall greater survival rate. I think the perception you present here is valid for "futuristic problems", but people today are more than the ones in your developed country. Impoverished countries don't even think of mailing.
    A greater survival rate is a debatable benefit. It's dependent on quality of life. If we live longer, but we work harder, see our families less, and enjoy fewer pleasures, who cares? Second, it cripples our economy the way we spend so many resources to get people from 88 to 91 just because we can, regardless of the life that person lives for three years. To your second point, impoverished countries are still impoverished. They were impoverished in the 19th century, the 20th century and now the 21st century despite the explosion of technology. Your ideas about technology creating productivity to create charity seem to make sense, but so does trickle-down economics. We all know how that worked out.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari