User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why do you hate Sci-Fi?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's boring.

8 66.67%
  • It's icky...I don't really know.

3 25.00%
  • It's stupid and unrealistic.

4 33.33%
  • It scares me.

2 16.67%
  • It doesn't scare me now, but scared me as a child and that left an impression.

5 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 202829303132 Last

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    I find it odd how people can dislike advancement and the technologies. I guess it's the attachment to things, but it's not like one can't have newer attachments. Values are dynamic, after all. But then again, a loose attachment is sort of pointless. This is understandable, but what about the socio-economic benefits of advance technology? Consider how many lives would benefit from better medicine. In addition, most of the world today live in poverty, and technology boosts production, which boosts capacity to create bigger charities for said poverty. It's not just about subjectivity; it's about consistency and the relationship of one's attachment to reality.
    There's a fear of obsolence and decay at play, I think. Like you're the next thing to be swallowed by the sands of time, after all the things you cherished in the past have been relegated to the realm of the museum. *hugs Nintendo 64 again*

Fuck your N64, ¡Viva la SNES!

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    I find it odd how people can dislike advancement and the technologies. I guess it's the attachment to things, but it's not like one can't have newer attachments. Values are dynamic, after all. But then again, a loose attachment is sort of pointless. This is understandable, but what about the socio-economic benefits of advance technology? Consider how many lives would benefit from better medicine. In addition, most of the world today live in poverty, and technology boosts production, which boosts capacity to create bigger charities for said poverty. It's not just about subjectivity; it's about consistency and the relationship of one's attachment to reality.
    It's because technology and "advancement" create a hamster wheel that turns faster but doesn't really go anywhere, because increased production fosters increased expectation. Let's take FedEx. When it was introduced, overnight delivery was a boon and a valuable service compared to the mail. But soon enough, overnight became the new standard and FedEx was a necessity, not an advantage. We're running to stand still. Past a certain point, technology complicates life without appreciably improving it.

Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Well. I don't think you're stupid. I also don't expect you ever to be interested in giving science fiction a fair shake. That is closed minded, but not by any means to an unusual degree. It's definitely not really an important thing to be open minded about. You can't really be open minded about everything, can you?

And yeah, you remind me of my mother. Children's lit, cartoons, and partially science fiction.. you guys have the same stances. It's partially the subjects, but also how you react to how other people like them. Any conjecture I have on why my mom dislike the things she does is conjecture, but I suspect it's type related. Any parallels I make are just me doing that terrible, yet MBTI natural thinking 'aloud' thing I do.
    I don't know what type your mother is, but it sounds like she forms these opinions for either Si or Fe reasons (or both)...because it has to be "adult." I like for things to be "real" which is probably Se or Te, but probably more like Se.

I also like things for purely emotional and aesthetic reasons, which is probably a combination of Fi and Se.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I should probably mention now that many of my favorite 20th century writers wrote from their own life experiences, and were interesting people - not just writers. They took risks and did interesting things, and they wrote fictionalized versions of it, or explored concepts through it. Russian Realism is not "real" per se, it's still fiction, but it's supposed to reflect the absurdity and harshness of real life without romanticism.

However, I also like horror and Romanticism, which are less realistic and more idealistic or suggest themes which cannot be proven (ghosts, et al).

I also like historical dramas and period pieces...Agatha Christie mysteries tend to take place in very ordinary, every day situations (though they are ordinary, every day situations of the upper middle class in the early 20th century)...murder most foul amongst the family or the people in the small town or the tourists on vacation. One of her detectives is even a totally amateur old lady.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Fuck your N64, ¡Viva la SNES!
    Can't we all get along?

No, we cannot! Battle to the death!

EDIT: And if you accidentally blow yourself up we're not going to pretend as though those don't count towards your death total. Self-inflicted explosive wounds are your problem, not ours. That's what you get for littering the place with proximity mines.

EDIT 2: If you don't have Goldeneye I will grudgingly accept Diddy Kong Racing as a substitute. You will get pwned in the races involving airplanes. Once again this is your problem, not mine.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

ThatGirl