User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why do you hate Sci-Fi?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's boring.

8 66.67%
  • It's icky...I don't really know.

3 25.00%
  • It's stupid and unrealistic.

4 33.33%
  • It scares me.

2 16.67%
  • It doesn't scare me now, but scared me as a child and that left an impression.

5 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 192728293031 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Mystery is also a rather devalued branch of literature and I will defend writers like Agatha Christie and Raymond Chandler, while more current mystery writers like P.D. James are clearly literary. Yeah, I just don't like sci-fi and I've explained why. I don't mind at all the people who are just like "ohai I like sci-fi." What was irritating me were the people that were all like "u crazy. u dumb. u don't get it. u might as well say u hate mexicans." That's what was getting on my nerves.

Love sci-fi all you want. I don't. And I understand loving a genre, because I love mystery and horror, I'm not some literary snob, though I am a huge fan of Gothic Romanticism, Russian Realism, and Modern Literature (all of my heroes from the 20's and 30's).

I just don't like sci-fi, I know I'm actually in the minority, and I did want to hear from the rest of the minority, not start a war.
    Sorry about all this.. Some stuff I said sounded judgemental reading it, but It's that damned clumsy Te stuff, it gets me in trouble every time. I don't particularly feel comfortable talking about talking about people as if they aren't there, either.

I do know what you were trying to do, but it's not possible. You see, people don't get pushed around for being "Mystery Nerds", and no other genre has gotten as much hate irl as Speculative Fiction. So, there will always be war. Hopefully it won't resort to terrorism.

EDIT: After reading simultaneous Marm post.. eh, I'm still letting everything I say stand. Oh, and I never ever said anything about 'Sensors'.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    So, Viridian.. I hate to put you on the spot. What made you think I was making a value judgement on Marm at all?

I'm an extreme P. When there is something that somebody digs, but I don't, my first reaction is to learn how to see it from their point of view. I spent 3 months learning how to like beer. I learned how to love (some) country. But, I don't expect other people to do things the same way, because, honestly, that all takes a toll on me. My original response to Synapse was just to point out what this thread was about from how I understand it, the second was a response to you.
    Sorry, Qlip, there were two separate issues... Implying Marm's tastes were "young" and comparing her to your mother, which I thought was innacurate for the aforementioned reasons.

I apologize if I insulted Mama Qlip. I'm sure she is a wonderful person. You as well.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Sorry about all this.. Some stuff I said sounded judgemental reading it, but It's that damned clumsy Te stuff, it gets me in trouble every time. I don't particularly feel comfortable talking about talking about people as if they aren't there, either.

I do know what you were trying to do, but it's not possible. You see, people don't get pushed around for being "Mystery Nerds", and no other genre has gotten as much hate irl as Speculative Fiction. So, there will always be war. Hopefully it won't resort to terrorism.

EDIT: After reading simultaneous Marm post.. eh, I'm still letting everything I say stand. Oh, and I never ever said anything about 'Sensors'.
    Yeah you're being a big butthurt baby if you're comparing me to your mom's idea of what is "adult." I don't like anything because it's "the right thing to like." The literature or non-literature genre fiction I like is what I genuinely like, and I won't be bullied or called names or judged for not liking what you like. It doesn't mean I'm stupid or closed minded, it just means I don't like that thing. Is CrystalViolet stupid and closed minded for not liking mystery novels or country music? No, she just doesn't like them.

People get pushed around for being sci-fi nerds? It really never occurred to you how people often react to those of us who like horror does it, hmm? It is considered a very SP thing, I think, even if non-MBTI people don't call it like there's "a certain kind of person" who likes horror...and some people look down on it, or even fear it; either think it's stupid or that you might have a screw loose or SOMETHING.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Sorry, Qlip, there were two separate issues... Implying Marm's tastes were "young" and comparing her to your mother, which I thought was innacurate for the aforementioned reasons.

I apologize if I insulted Mama Qlip. I'm sure she is a wonderful person. You as well.
    I'm afraid to respond.. I'd like to elaborate, but this has all gone to hell. haha. Anyway, I accept the sentiment.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    No offense, Qlip, but I think you're giving her short shrift. She listed the very personal reasons why she dislikes sci-fi, whereas the kind of person you're describing seems a tad judgmental and a bit too concerned with whether other people like/dislike what she likes. I don't mean to insult your mom, though - that's a real low blow.

In general, I have a guideline for these sorts of things:

And its corollary: "If someone doesn't like something you like, that doesn't make that person the Antichrist, as long as s/he is not being a dick about it".

(And yes, I know I'm neurotic about it, but at least I'm not the Patrolman of Taste. )
    Thank you.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

I find it odd how people can dislike advancement and the technologies. I guess it's the attachment to things, but it's not like one can't have newer attachments. Values are dynamic, after all. But then again, a loose attachment is sort of pointless. This is understandable, but what about the socio-economic benefits of advance technology? Consider how many lives would benefit from better medicine. In addition, most of the world today live in poverty, and technology boosts production, which boosts capacity to create bigger charities for said poverty. It's not just about subjectivity; it's about consistency and the relationship of one's attachment to reality.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

But I do like advancement in technology if it saves lives, improves the quality of life, or serves a practical purpose. That's reality, though. That has nothing to do with liking sci-fi or not, as a genre. I don't read mysteries because I actually like murder.

I think some of you are reading way too much into this.

I'd also like to add that ALL technology isn't necessarily good. We can apply ethics to technology and while most technology is good and advances society, other applications are unethical and could be destructive.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Yeah you're being a big butthurt baby if you're comparing me to your mom's idea of what is "adult." I don't like anything because it's "the right thing to like." The literature or non-literature genre fiction I like is what I genuinely like, and I won't be bullied or called names or judged for not liking what you like. It doesn't mean I'm stupid or closed minded, it just means I don't like that thing. Is CrystalViolet stupid and closed minded for not liking mystery novels or country music? No, she just doesn't like them.

People get pushed around for being sci-fi nerds? It really never occurred to you how people often react to those of us who like horror does it, hmm? It is considered a very SP thing, I think, even if non-MBTI people don't call it like there's "a certain kind of person" who likes horror...and some people look down on it, or even fear it; either think it's stupid or that you might have a screw loose or SOMETHING.
    Well. I don't think you're stupid. I also don't expect you ever to be interested in giving science fiction a fair shake. That is closed minded, but not by any means to an unusual degree. It's definitely not really an important thing to be open minded about. You can't really be open minded about everything, can you?

And yeah, you remind me of my mother. Children's lit, cartoons, and partially science fiction.. you guys have the same stances. It's partially the subjects, but also how you react to how other people like them. Any conjecture I have on why my mom dislike the things she does is conjecture, but I suspect it's type related. Any parallels I make are just me doing that terrible, yet MBTI natural thinking 'aloud' thing I do.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Well. I don't think you're stupid. I also don't expect you ever to be interested in giving science fiction a fair shake. That is closed minded, but not by any means to an unusual degree. It's definitely not really an important thing to be open minded about. You can't really be open minded about everything, can you?

And yeah, you remind me of my mother. Children's lit, cartoons, and partially science fiction.. you guys have the same stances. It's partially the subjects, but also how you react to how other people like them. Any conjecture I have on why my mom dislike the things she does is conjecture, but I suspect it's type related. Any parallels I make are just me doing that terrible, yet MBTI natural thinking 'aloud' thing I do.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Double post, again? What's going on here?