User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why do you hate Sci-Fi?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's boring.

8 66.67%
  • It's icky...I don't really know.

3 25.00%
  • It's stupid and unrealistic.

4 33.33%
  • It scares me.

2 16.67%
  • It doesn't scare me now, but scared me as a child and that left an impression.

5 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 182627282930 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Hah, actually, both. Marm's point of view on what she finds worthy reminds me a lot of my mother. My mom, at some point in her life.. around 15 or 16 decided some things were sophisticated and worthy, and other things were kid's stuff. It has a lot to do with her perception of what being an adult was, and wanting to be an adult so much. And to this day, she will never watch a cartoon and will think any adult is insane for liking one. She also has a multitude of other opinions on what grown people should and shouldn't like. Although, my mom is a Science Fiction fan. But in her day Star Trek was very serious, socially forward, and popular stuff.

Sensor?

Though my INTJ grandfather had the same attitude.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

@Synapse Marm isn't interested in getting a deeper look at speculative fiction. It's really the whole point of this thread. That's why I didn't attempt to throw some recommendations out there. I remember when I was a teenager and thought Country was just stupid, all them hicks making a bunch of twangy noises, nobody could've changed my mind.. I imagine it's somewhat akin to that.
    Country is stupid j/k....not my favorite though.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I kinda live in my own world, I like exploring other people's universe, but I know some people have their feet firmly planted in this world. I don't necessarily understand that, but I don't like murder mysteries. I find them painfully pedestrian, and far too connect the dots. However it takes a bit of craft to write a good one (as with all things), and I respect that, just don't make me read one, and please, please, please don't make me watch those dreadful T.V. Series. It's the same thing really, I guess.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    I kinda live in my own world, I like exploring other people's universe, but I know some people have their feet firmly planted in this world. I don't necessarily understand that, but I don't like murder mysteries. I find them painfully pedestrian, and far too connect the dots. However it takes a bit of craft to write a good one (as with all things), and I respect that, just don't make me read one, and please, please, please don't make me watch those dreadful T.V. Series. It's the same thing really, I guess.
    It's always a pleasure wallowing in your presence *raises hat*
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    IsFJ

Hah, actually, both. Marm's point of view on what she finds worthy reminds me a lot of my mother. My mom, at some point in her life.. around 15 or 16 decided some things were sophisticated and worthy, and other things were kid's stuff. It has a lot to do with her perception of what being an adult was, and wanting to be an adult so much. And to this day, she will never watch a cartoon and will think any adult is insane for liking one. She also has a multitude of other opinions on what grown people should and shouldn't like. Although, my mom is a Science Fiction fan. But in her day Star Trek was very serious, socially forward, and popular stuff.
    No offense, Qlip, but I think you're giving her short shrift. She listed the very personal reasons why she dislikes sci-fi, whereas the kind of person you're describing seems a tad judgmental and a bit too concerned with whether other people like/dislike what she likes. I don't mean to insult your mom, though - that's a real low blow.

In general, I have a guideline for these sorts of things:

And its corollary: "If someone doesn't like something you like, that doesn't make that person the Antichrist, as long as s/he is not being a dick about it".

(And yes, I know I'm neurotic about it, but at least I'm not the Patrolman of Taste. )

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Double post.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    No offense, Qlip, but I think you're giving her short shrift. She listed the very personal reasons why she dislikes sci-fi, whereas the kind of person you're describing seems a tad judgmental and a bit too concerned with whether other people like/dislike what she likes. I don't mean to insult your mom, though - that's a real low blow.

In general, I have a guideline for these sorts of things:

And its corollary: "If someone doesn't like something you like, that doesn't make that person the Antichrist, as long as s/he is not being a dick about it".

(And yes, I know I'm neurotic about it, but at least I'm not the Patrolman of Taste. )
    So, Viridian.. I hate to put you on the spot. What made you think I was making a value judgement on Marm at all?

I'm an extreme P. When there is something that somebody digs, but I don't, my first reaction is to learn how to see it from their point of view. I spent 3 months learning how to like beer. I learned how to love (some) country. But, I don't expect other people to do things the same way, because, honestly, that all takes a toll on me. My original response to Synapse was just to point out what this thread was about from how I understand it, the second was a response to you.

A window to the soul

Sci-fi can be pretty interesting.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I know how you meant this thread, Marm.. but you know, Feelers gotta feel, and I feel strongly about this one. I'm edging on being a bit of a Science Fiction scholar. I've got a very good feel for the whole genre. It's been a devalued branch of literature since the beginning, so yeah, we get touchy. And yes, I said it's literature. And yes, I know that you don't think it is. And.. that gets me cranky. Anything that is sufficiently good and recognized will automatically make it "non science fiction" on the shelves.

And when people say things like, "I don't like Science Fiction because I never liked space stuff". Or "I don't like Science Fiction because the aesthetic", it makes me want to :facepalm:, because I can find you 10 titles off the top of my head that aren't in space, or in spaceships, or not even on a different planet. And every author I've read has had a style and aesthetic all their own.
    Mystery is also a rather devalued branch of literature and I will defend writers like Agatha Christie and Raymond Chandler, while more current mystery writers like P.D. James are clearly literary. Yeah, I just don't like sci-fi and I've explained why. I don't mind at all the people who are just like "ohai I like sci-fi." What was irritating me were the people that were all like "u crazy. u dumb. u don't get it. u might as well say u hate mexicans." That's what was getting on my nerves.

Love sci-fi all you want. I don't. And I understand loving a genre, because I love mystery and horror, I'm not some literary snob, though I am a huge fan of Gothic Romanticism, Russian Realism, and Modern Literature (all of my heroes from the 20's and 30's).

I just don't like sci-fi, I know I'm actually in the minority, and I did want to hear from the rest of the minority, not start a war.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

lulz you don't know me or understand me at all ...you're just projecting your issues with your mom on me...in fact THIS is the kind of shit that is pissing me off. I AM NOT A PRETENTIOUS LITERARY SNOB.

If I was, I wouldn't like horror, which is considered a very "sensor" genre just like romance novels, so stick it up your butt, dude. I listen to 80's pop and watch adult cartoons. I'm not like your mom at all.