User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why do you hate Sci-Fi?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's boring.

8 66.67%
  • It's icky...I don't really know.

3 25.00%
  • It's stupid and unrealistic.

4 33.33%
  • It scares me.

2 16.67%
  • It doesn't scare me now, but scared me as a child and that left an impression.

5 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 162425262728 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

In fact I just realized overriding themes I hate about sci-fi: political paranoia, depressing or bleak future, machines taking priority over the natural world, and sheer boredom with the ugly or tacky "world" provided.

But I think the Matrix is just stupid.

I'm sorry, I can't help it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Generally speaking, I love it.

HUGE Trek-geek and I love sci-fi fantasy/Lord of the Rings-ish type novels and stories. I find the ideas and the themes and examination of humanity in these stories to be deep fascinating

My ESFJ office manager dislikes it though. She just sees it as boring or uninteresting.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    In fact I just realized overriding themes I hate about sci-fi: political paranoia, depressing or bleak future, machines taking priority over the natural world, and sheer boredom with the ugly or tacky "world" provided.

But I think the Matrix is just stupid.

I'm sorry, I can't help it.
    The Matrix is the psychological expression of feelings of Generation Y. It may not apply to everyone but it does never. You dont need to like all 3 parts, I dont like the latter 2 as well, but it does express a psychologically serious attitude, which represented my feelings as well. Having grown up in virtual worlds living their all day, it was hard for me to get along with real life and to grow up. The matrix isnt the most critical movie of that attitude, but it gives hold and understanding to people who are in puberty right now having this problem and understanding is what those kids the most want.

I do respect your opinion about science fiction but labeling it as stupid puts you yourself into a very short-sighted position. After you are finished with science-fiction you can basically continue the rant to all literature cause it's all somehow science-fiction, may it be technically motivated or may it present a social science related menage a trois.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I saw the Matrix 14 times while it was still in the theater; 8 times in the theater itself and 6 viewing a bootleg copy on my computer.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Haha. I have seen all 10 seasons of Stargate SG-1 twice and lately when my gf asked me if we should watch them because she hasnt seen them yet, I of course agreed

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAuxWHIM5HI"].[/YOUTUBE]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BAJ View Post
    I saw the Matrix 14 times while it was still in the theater; 8 times in the theater itself and 6 viewing a bootleg copy on my computer.
    Don't worry, I believe you can get treatment for that.

MBTI
    INTJ

You know how in story-telling, the first thing to do is put your characters under stress? With sci-fi you can instantly stress them from directions that DO arise in real life, but which take a billion years to arrive. The thread that connects these poor people and reality is, variously, mythic theme, templates for reality, and webs rather than instances of possibility. I understand sci-fi to be the telling of free-floated fragments, and I'm fine with fragments, particularly fragments that are--what shall I call it? Conceptually real? I like free-floated fragments better, much better than the rooted, concrete, historical, affixed, burdened, tied down, directly acknowledged and day-to-day realitized fragments the tiresome historical semi-realists use as the bed upon which their characters are stressed.

Favorite sci-fi: Neuromancer. Because Molly was, conceptually, the hottest chick in all of fiction.

Feel the luv.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Sadly, this thread prompted me to go purchase three seasons of Futurama, and the third book in the Troy Rising series.

Now I want to get the Neuromancer book!

MBTI
    INTJ

I understand the fear for space.. its similar to the feeling of being in a submarine. You know that if there is a hole in the hull your dead. there is no simple running away. Your dead and there is no one around you that can help you.. you can scream all you like, it does not matter.. you are going to get drowned.. slowly.. deep deep down in the dark cold sea were no one sees you.

But then! suddenly you become a mermaid!

And then this guy comes along and says "howdy! youre a cute little thing aren`t you!?"

And then you swim happily ever after with your new boyfriend.

While all the other mermaids became jealous because they knew that NO ONE could do better french kisses than this guy.
    Epic derailment:
    wierd memory work->Tamagochi->tetris->Starcraft2->thugs->Chess->german techno->Love parade->disaster->death..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1wH2...eature=related