User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why do you hate Sci-Fi?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's boring.

8 66.67%
  • It's icky...I don't really know.

3 25.00%
  • It's stupid and unrealistic.

4 33.33%
  • It scares me.

2 16.67%
  • It doesn't scare me now, but scared me as a child and that left an impression.

5 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 152324252627 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm not trolling. You just openly admitted to repeatedly saying something JUST to get a rise out of me, not because you actually feel that way.

That is trolling.

MBTI
    ISTx

Science fiction is an N thing. I like some Sci-Fi stories, but generally I'm not a huge fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I'm not trolling. You just openly admitted to repeatedly saying something JUST to get a rise out of me, not because you actually feel that way.

That is trolling.
    With the way you've been going about yourself in this thread I do actually believe that you might as well have just said "I hate Mexicans".

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    With the way you've been going about yourself in this thread I do actually believe that you might as well have just said "I hate Mexicans".

I do think you're trolling now. I'm just going to disengage.

I tend not to like science fiction, but it's not because I hate science fiction themes. It's because I think the percentage of quality science fiction is low compared to other genres. It's the same reason I don't like horror movies or fantasy movies. I like good science fiction and good horror movies (probably still hate good fantasy), but my opinion is that most of them suck. I'm well aware that this is a subjective judgment, but that's the only kind you can make concerning a question like this.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Science fiction is an N thing. I like some Sci-Fi stories, but generally I'm not a huge fan.
    I thought that maybe science fiction could be an N thing because it concerns telling stories and making points which could just as easily be told in a more realistic context. Instead, it relies on the building of other worlds, kind of like the fantasy genre.

On the other hand, I do like some fables, folk tales and pagan myths, but those still tend to be more earth-based fantasy fiction with a point at determining archetypes.

Horror is the least realistic genre I like, obviously some horror is ridiculously over the top and silly, and I feel like some horror is realistic because I believe ghosts are possibly real (especially when I was younger I believed that things like ghosts and demon possession could be possible) and also because a lot of horror is about serial killers.

I do like a degree of fantasy, but it's more like fairy tale fantasy or ghost story fantasy rather than living in a completely different world, planet, or dimension.

It also could just be because I don't like the worlds involved. Like the post-apocalyptic desert world in Dune is icky. Space ship worlds are also icky/boring/dreadful to me. Huxley and Orwell seem like paranoid political propaganda to me. Bladerunner also takes place in a very bleak world.

Jeff Noon's novels, on the other hand concern a real place: Manchester, England, with fiction overlaid on top of it, which is what I tend to like, more. I like the original Star Wars movies because of Yoda and Ewoks and C3PO and R2D2...I mean it has puppets! It's very soft and nice in comparison to a lot of Sci-Fi.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I tend not to like science fiction, but it's not because I hate science fiction themes. It's because I think the percentage of quality science fiction is low compared to other genres. It's the same reason I don't like horror movies or fantasy movies. I like good science fiction and good horror movies (probably still hate good fantasy), but my opinion is that most of them suck. I'm well aware that this is a subjective judgment, but that's the only kind you can make concerning a question like this.
    Yeah, that's really it for me also. That's what I meant by poor character development, relying on cheesy novelty, cliche themes, etc. I feel like the future aspects (strange creatures, gadgets, etc) are just "cool" distractions for otherwise poor writing.

I don't hate Star Trek or find it as gimmicky as some, but the Star Trek movies I have seen seem like they are just stories about war ships. There isn't a whole lot the future aspect adds for me....I find it very literal actually, and it fails to pull me in. It doesn't say anything significant to me.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

I really like science fiction overall as a concept, but I understand a lot of your distaste towards it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    When I was a little girl, space frightened more than most things, because it's a cold empty place without atmosphere and oxygen and gravity.
    Yeah, space is rather boring and hostile right now isn't it. But this is kind of part of what I like about sci-fi is that it often makes space a habitable and interesting place rather than the unliveable emptiness we see now.

"The future" did not appeal to me as a child (no really), and by "the future" I mean the science-fiction concept of people living with androids and robots and it even took me quite some time to adjust to computers.
    Does this mean that a more "natural" future could have appealed to you as a child? Androids are a bit overrated... but I admit I was thrilled as a child about any sort of cooler technology in the future, actually just anything future. Anything to escape the reality of being a kid trapped in perpetual boredom

But yeah, other than that, most Sci-Fi bores me
    Yes, some of it is simply boring. A lot of the way it is executed is too dystopian for my taste. I'm pretty picky about the actual sci-fi movies/books out there because of this. Is it a little too much to ask for a portrayal of a upbeat and optimistic alternate reality? Or a plot that moves fast without resorting to simplistic war-like scenarios or totally center around good vs. evil? I did enjoy 1984 and Brave New World for their thought-provokingness, but it's another kind of appreciation at work there.

This is all I've got for now... too bad there aren't many who side with you much here. This is the Internet, after all...

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Science Fiction is an abstract thinkers mind point of refuge. It presents human ideas and mind sets of a possible future to prevent that possible future or to create a better one. It is on the one hand for an abstract thinker the opportunity to live out his thoughts and on the other hand for lesser abstract thinkers an opportunity to understand consequences and to see the big picture.

I am not so much afraid of machines, like I am afraid of the people using them. Without machines a lot of the luxury we have today wouldnt be possible. People still would be dieing, if a crop fails and earth population would be probably only 10% of what it is today. I am not the one to judge if that's what destiny had in mind for humanity but I am not the one to judge about who lives and who dies as well, therefore I see no way of denieing people machines.

My whole life has been devoted to mathematics and engineering, I am the impersonification of a machine builder and I build machines too that take jobs away from people. Those machines on the same hand do create new jobs and its sometimes the inflexibility of people to learn a new thing that makes the result happen of people loosing jobs. There is always a difficulty involved in an innovation process, always resulting in people loosing jobs, it has been a problem for year - thousands over the course of human history; yet the worst developments were always motivated out of human greed to earn the quick money and it wasnt the machines or the innovations doing the harm but humans.

Its never machines that harm people, its always people.

I am myself a very nature-dependant kind of guy; I am working in a 27,000 square feet huge production facility having huge drilling, milling and turning machines running everywhere, having around 500 people employed, welding, hammering, working hard all day and its loud, industrious, dirty and I am always glad when I can return to my office unhurt. But it never feels inhumane, because the people are having fun at work, are joking around, teasing each others, its a whole lot of fun running around there each day. Still when I have the opportunity to get out in the green, I am using it and my gf and me are planning to maybe have a little farm one day or at least move into a village in the outskirts.

I share the same fascination about engineering as I share the fascination about nature and as long as we ensure reasonable humans are leading us we can always have both. An engineer is a natural scientist in german and this means that all motivation about creating new things came from the fascination that is nature. And thats how it begans for me, its always how it begins.

When I am looking nowadays at a thunderstorm I dont do that without having a lot of thermodynamic principles running thru my head, thats a price you have to pay its not easy to purely enjoy beauty no more. But its people like you or my girlfriend who would help me to stay grounded and who hold me back when I am loosing sight for basic beauty and start to embark onto dangerous roads. Every action has a purpose in life, there is no opinion that is in vain.

When I am depressed or am having hard times and other people would turn to God, I turn to the stars and am overwhelmed by the vast amount of possible discoveries that are waiting out there. Ways of life by people we never never dreamt of so far, natural paradises we cant imagine in our wildest dreams. I was as a boy the same way afraid by sciene fiction like you were, I couldnt sleep for months after I watched planet of the apes or Terminator. But thats what science fiction is meant to be, its there to give us a waking call so we can emerge out of a tranquil nature that was blind for the consequences. Science Fiction predicted the nazis, it predicted what happens to peoples social skills if they live in a virtual world only, it predicted what happens to nature, when greedy industries eats its way thru it.

If we had and would listen more to what science fiction tells us and really try to understand it, a lot of troubles could have been or will be spared to us.
    Quoted because this is one of the most excellent things I've ever read

It really is a good message overall too, to find a balance between nature and technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Exactly. You can do anything with science fiction, so long as lasers are involved.
    This is especially why I like Sci-Fi (the open-endedness and lasers alike )

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    "From hell's heart, I stab at thee. For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee."

That's some good writin'. Shame it was only first used in a Star Trek sequel.
    "He tasks me and I shall have him..."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    Does this mean that a more "natural" future could have appealed to you as a child? Androids are a bit overrated...
    Yes, absolutely which is why I said "the future" as a concept that was sold in most mainstream sci-fi I saw as a child. I found Star Trek dreadfully boring (and ugly); same for the dystopian stuff I've already mentioned; the future always seemed to be HORRIBLE (late Cold War paranoia crap about The Bomb, natch) or it was in space, which is horrible to me, personally, unless the planets were lush and green and had Ewoks on them.

I'm not saying that the future, as a real thing that's probably going to happen, doesn't appeal to me. The future appeals to me...just not "the future" sold as a mainstream sci-fi concept of either dystopia or being lost in space or living in a bunch of metal with machines and robots. That "future." I don't want that to be my future.

As a child I often escaped into the past...I dressed up in clothing from the past and I researched historical eras...and history was always extremely interesting to me ...like it was a real place I could go, like another country, and stories could be made up about those time periods. People wore different clothes, listened to different music, did different things. There were old buildings I could actually touch and look at. I love the past, as a concept and a genre and a reality that once was (trippy to me), but of course some eras more than others.