User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why do you hate Sci-Fi?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's boring.

8 66.67%
  • It's icky...I don't really know.

3 25.00%
  • It's stupid and unrealistic.

4 33.33%
  • It scares me.

2 16.67%
  • It doesn't scare me now, but scared me as a child and that left an impression.

5 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 132122232425 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
    Love the movie even though it's a classic and also love the books. Watched and read all many times!

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQeP6GWU0e4&feature=relmfu"]The Weirding Ways[/YOUTUBE]

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Love the movie even though it's a classic and also love the books. Watched and read all many times!

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQeP6GWU0e4&feature=relmfu"]The Weirding Ways[/YOUTUBE]
    I'm having trouble getting past the second. But I loved the movie. David Lynch is a magician. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I'm having trouble getting past the second. But I loved the movie. David Lynch is a magician. Lol.
    Yes, Lynch's a master!

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Dune is awesome. I read the five books, and saw the movie when it came out in theaters.

I also like Herbert's "The Dosadi Experiment"

<3

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Ok, I totally voted. The reason why I have hated particular sci-fi works is because they were stupid and unrealistic. Not stupid in a scientific sense (that is part of the genre), but stupid as in the characters are dead boring and unrealistic.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't hate sci fi as a genre. There's some stuff I really like and some that I don't. Among the stuff I don't like its usually from poor characterization or too much jargon. I guess with the latter its those who are trying too hard to sound over intellectual.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Can you remind me who was making things personal?
    Well aside from others making catty comments, I've collected the following from yourself:

Seems to me you hate science fiction because you hate your own preconceived notions about what science fiction is.
    In general I find the people who don't like science fiction can't grasp the stories in the first place.

(And L'Étranger? Really? Surely you could have come up with an example that isn't pretty standard high school fare. )
    You knowingly brought criticism on yourself:
    So what do you hate more: science fiction, or the fact the people are openly disagreeing with you? It sure seems like the latter.

Of course you're being called closed minded: YOU ARE BEING CLOSED MINDED.

About the only thing you've said in this entire thread that I agree with wholeheartedly is that you might as well have said "I hate Mexicans".
    This, to you, was about me - not my opinion. In fact, you saw this opportunity to declare that people don't like Sci-Fi cuz they so dumb. But yeah, with that last comment there, I finally got a clear picture of what I'm actually dealing with with you, so enjoy chewing through your restraints.

Arguing with people about genres they like or dislike it about as effective as arguing with someone about colors, a song, or pizza.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Yes, Lynch's a master!
    Totally agreed with this, though I personally much prefer Twin Peaks, The Lost Highway, Blue Velvet, and Mulholland Drive.

Same on Peter Jackson: I'd take Heavenly Creatures over The Lord of the Rings any day, though I know that's fantasy not sci-fi.

It's just a genre thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Totally agreed with this, though I personally much prefer Twin Peaks, The Lost Highway, Blue Velvet, and Mulholland Drive.

Same on Peter Jackson, I'd take Heavenly Creatures over The Lord of the Rings any day, though I know that's fantasy not sci-fi.

It's just a genre thing.
    I've seen the last two but not the first two. If you like Lynch, I recommend this one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100935/

Typical Lynch rollercoaster ride.

Understood.

Well aside from others making catty comments, I've collected the following from yourself:

This, to you, was about me - not my opinion. In fact, you saw this opportunity to declare that people don't like Sci-Fi cuz they so dumb. But yeah, with that last comment there, I finally got a clear picture of what I'm actually dealing with with you, so enjoy chewing through your restraints.
    ORLY?

Oh and now the moral superiority of inferior Fe comes out! Getting butthurt about subjective complaints about art in a Bonfire thread! Guess what? LOTS OF PEOPLE HATE HORROR MOVIES AND ROMANCE NOVELS AND ARE VERY OPEN ABOUT IT (I happen to love horror movies myself). I say I have a strong distaste for abstract art all of the time. People talk every day about how much they hate rap or country music. Give me a fucking break, son. I mean...what the...I don't even...

I think you're the crazy one. I'm loony? I think someone who actually believes this about a thread about science-fiction in the bonfire section may need professional help, unless you're joking.

OH MY GOD I JUST HATE SCI-FI.

WHY DO PEOPLE HATE COUNTRY MUSIC?

ROMANCE NOVELS?

HORROR MOVIES?

YOU GUYS ARE ACTING LIKE I SAID I HATE MEXICANS.

Dear Christ in heaven, yes I know that some forms of sci-fi are better than others, but that doesn't make me like the genre anymore.

You also missed that I said I like a few Jeff Noon novels, all of you naggers who are saying "there's different types of sci-fi."

Thank you to anyone who didn't produce a ridiculous, off-topic, utterly butthurt response.

Yeah fantasy and sci-fi often bleed together in my mind, because I care for neither genre very much. I can't get into The Hobbit nor Dune in equal measure.

I can't believe how defensive some of these people in this thread are about sci-fi. I mean it seems almost like the sci-fi fans want to bully anyone who doesn't like what they do. It's outrageous. I thought I was creating this thread for the minority to express their feelings about subjectively disliking sci-fi, not for the majority to start a riot.
    I think you people are out of your minds, I'm really starting to think some of you are fucking crazy.

It seems a little unstable to me. I can see getting this way about religion or politics or even REAL SCIENCE...but a fiction genre? Um, no.
    I guess I'm just more mature because I'm used to liking things that other people openly say they hate 24/7...like 80's pop and horror movies. I guess this is what happens when people who are used to having the majority "taste" are criticized.

you're just butthurt.

So bite me.

Getting this worked up about science fiction is surely a symptom of taking fiction much more seriously than you actually should be taking real life.