User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why do you hate Sci-Fi?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's boring.

8 66.67%
  • It's icky...I don't really know.

3 25.00%
  • It's stupid and unrealistic.

4 33.33%
  • It scares me.

2 16.67%
  • It doesn't scare me now, but scared me as a child and that left an impression.

5 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 12202122232432 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    INFIDEL
    You shall not crucify mankind upon a cross of Asimov!!!!
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I like some science fiction, of course.

I might define this as any writing that speculates about the future.

So in the original Star trek, automatic doors were done by having people open them and push them shut. Now automatic doors are everywhere and REAL.

I hope we have good aspects of sci-fi, and not the dark dismal idea of robots conquering Earth and junk.

In essence, sci-fi is interesting to me because everyone is competing for a vision of the future. If we didn't have this, we'd still be sitting in caves doodling about the annual mammoth hunt.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    Why are making a big deal out of this? It's just a thread about sci-fi and people who like it and people who don't like it. Obviously the people who hate sci-fi are all closet-nerds who refuse to admit that they masturbate furiously to the sound of coffee makers b/c when the coffee maker is grinding the beans it kinda sounds like Chewbacca. Also, it's only a matter of time before people realize that Transformers is science fiction and that Elfboy loves Ace of Base and Transformers is like the Elvis of Sci-Fi, not bad for being so white, but will never be better than chuck berry. I can't think fo anything else to say, but I think you have no honor.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    So what do you hate more: science fiction, or the fact the people are openly disagreeing with you? It sure seems like the latter.

Of course you're being called closed minded: YOU ARE BEING CLOSED MINDED. People have been probing you with questions and the best answers you've had have been "I just don't like it!"

You yourself opened the thread off with a statement about how most people like science fiction, so what did you expect? You couldn't have honestly expected a crowd of like-minded individuals to flood this thread with affirmation.

I hate that people are acting like complete nut-jobs over a fictional genre.

I can't even fathom acting the way some of you are in a hypothetical thread entitled "Why I Hate Horror Movies."

About the only thing you've said in this entire thread that I agree with wholeheartedly is that you might as well have said "I hate Mexicans".
    If you really believe that, you either need a straight jacket, or perhaps simply to leave the house a bit more.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    @MacGuffinHowever, a lot of it just too dry and depressing...a lot of sci-fi is horrendously bleak. There are so many reasons why I don't like sci-fi, and many of them are purely aesthetic.
    I admit the genre has some tropes that bring me a sort of anxiety - plagues, corporate misuse of technology, mutations, dystopias... It also reminds me of the way things become "obsolete", which is a process that never ceases to sadden me. *hugs Nintendo 64*

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    Why are making a big deal out of this? It's just a thread about sci-fi and people who like it and people who don't like it. Obviously the people who hate sci-fi are all closet-nerds who refuse to admit that they masturbate furiously to the sound of coffee makers b/c when the coffee maker is grinding the beans it kinda sounds like Chewbacca. Also, it's only a matter of time before people realize that Transformers is science fiction and that Elfboy loves Ace of Base and Transformers is like the Elvis of Sci-Fi, not bad for being so white, but will never be better than chuck berry. I can't think fo anything else to say, but I think you have no honor.
    You're right, I secretly lust over my coffee maker.

Classic!

Is this really so bad?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj7R_2WWdKs"][/YOUTUBE]

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Classic!

Is this really so bad?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj7R_2WWdKs"][/YOUTUBE]

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    If you really believe that, you either need a straight jacket, or perhaps simply to leave the house a bit more.
    Can you remind me who was making things personal?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh a big thanks to the 9 other people who voted, who have apparently been subdued into silence by the angry mob of Sci Fi Nazis.