User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why do you hate Sci-Fi?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's boring.

8 66.67%
  • It's icky...I don't really know.

3 25.00%
  • It's stupid and unrealistic.

4 33.33%
  • It scares me.

2 16.67%
  • It doesn't scare me now, but scared me as a child and that left an impression.

5 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I never got into it for some reason. I read science books and I read fiction, but I never got that interested in science fiction. Dunno.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    Good sci-fi has that necessary human element though and allows authors to explore deeper layers of humanity.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    It presents human ideas and mind sets of a possible future to prevent that possible future or to create a better one.
    And this.

I personally like some sci fi. Some of it is plain bad, as in terrible plots, characters, scripts, actors, etc. But some of it can be quite profound. Have you ever read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy? Not the movie. Though the radio series will work, too. Fantastic. I do also like what little of Kurt Vonnegut I've read as well, and he's technically in the sci fi genre, I do believe.

I'm with you @Marmie Dearest, on being anti going to space. The thought of actually being in space terrified me as a child... as an adult. I feel I'd freak out from claustrophobia or something were I on a ship. Not to mention there's no real oxygen. Sounds horrifying. But... watching things in space don't freak me out so much. Only when I imagine myself in their scenarios.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    This.

And this.

I personally like some sci fi. Some of it is plain bad, as in terrible plots, characters, scripts, actors, etc. But some of it can be quite profound. Have you ever read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy? Not the movie. Though the radio series will work, too. Fantastic. I do also like what little of Kurt Vonnegut I've read as well, and he's technically in the sci fi genre, I do believe.

I'm with you @Marmie Dearest, on being anti going to space. The thought of actually being in space terrified me as a child... as an adult. I feel I'd freak out from claustrophobia or something were I on a ship. Not to mention there's no real oxygen. Sounds horrifying. But... watching things in space don't freak me out so much. Only when I imagine myself in their scenarios.
    Tho, technically we are all already in space right now
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4/9
    Socionics
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    It's not anti-NT.

I really hate sci-fi.

You don't? Well, I asked WHO DOES HATE IT.
    I used to when I was an ESTJ gone INFP. I thought it was often fucking weird and boring. I mean when I was younger I was kind of fascinated by the outfits/creatures but a lot of the time I thought they just looked ugly and strange.
    However, I was kind of weird and usually liked "weird" things so I tried to get into it sometimes but to no avail.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I love it. It's my genre of choice.
    QFT.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

but there's a lot of different categories of science fiction!

the man enjoys movies about post apocalyptic society and dystopian future in which the adventures are non existent or incredibly crappy and nobody seems to have very much fun in them (in my very correct opinion)... these movies suck

however, movies where you get to fly through space meeting fascinating aliens and becoming their friends (or enemies) are MUCH more interesting and fun in my opinion because that looks fun!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I hate the idea of moving away from nature, toward machines. When I was a little girl, space frightened more than most things, because it's a cold empty place without atmosphere and oxygen and gravity. There are no flowers, trees, or oceans there. Seriously, fuck that shit. I do not want to float around in a pod with no windows, and never be able to walk barefoot in the sunshine and lay in the grass. You couldn't pay me enough to go to space. I imagine that if I went to space, I'd be one of those people who either went insane or committed suicide.

"The future" did not appeal to me as a child (no really), and by "the future" I mean the science-fiction concept of people living with androids and robots and it even took me quite some time to adjust to computers. I utterly rejected computers (believe it or not) until I was about 20. I had some crazy moral objection to them, like they were making the world more sterile and mechanical, and less natural.

I also preferred the past to the future, in terms of concepts...history, historical buildings, ghosts...as opposed to science fiction and the commonly accepted commercial package that was sold to us as "the future" in the 1980's. NO, I DON'T LIKE BLADERUNNER.
    Most of the sci-fi I've read doesn't actually present itself as "OMG LOOK AT THIS BRIGHT PERFECT FUTURE", though. very much the opposite, actually. There's a lot of "look how we destroyed the planet(s) " and "it sucks to live on a planet with 200 billion people" and so on. That's part of the interest for me, to see how different life could be under different circumstances. I don't mind reading dark fiction though, perhaps that's the difference.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I am a pretty big sci-fi fan. It's one of my top favorite genres.

I will admit that some of the "harder" sci-fi can get boring as fuck, though.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Ah come on where else can greater wisdom be found then in postapocalyptic societies

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH7MSKXT6bg"].[/YOUTUBE]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Sharing hatred results in fanaticism. I am thus morally opposed to sharing your hatred for science fiction.