User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why do you hate Sci-Fi?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's boring.

8 66.67%
  • It's icky...I don't really know.

3 25.00%
  • It's stupid and unrealistic.

4 33.33%
  • It scares me.

2 16.67%
  • It doesn't scare me now, but scared me as a child and that left an impression.

5 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 6141516171826 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    I've never seen it, the song annoyed me so much i refused to watch it.
    IM CLOSE TO YOU FEELING YOUURRRRRR HEEARTTTT BEEATTTIIINN
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    9 people on this forum are dead to me.
    Lol.

Alert the media.

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex View Post
    Rex, if i didn't like you so much, I'd make vague threats about slapping you.

As it is, you'll have to deal with the side eye shade i'm throwin' you right now

=P

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    Rex, if i didn't like you so much, I'd make vague threats about slapping you.

As it is, you'll have to deal with the side eye shade i'm throwin' you right now

=P
    Hehehehe
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

ReflecTcelfeR

I enjoy reality more now than I did the video games I used to play. It kind of seemed like I used it as an escape that I no longer wish to have. I don't hate it, but it is a distraction that I don't need anymore. Every now and then I get an itch to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex View Post
    And I'm wondering what you're dreaming,
    Wondering if it's me you're seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    One cool thing about science fiction is that it opens up possibilities for entirely new histories to be uncovered. For instance, finding a remote planet with the remnants of a dead civilization would be quite thought provoking.
    That's the best part about science fiction. Marm opened this thread stating she "preferred the past [over the future]", the idea being that the 'future' is the realm within which all science fiction stories are told. That's silly of course: the only works that limit themselves to particular time periods are period pieces. Science fiction can be set in any time period, anywhere. That's the beauty of science fiction. It allows the storyteller the freedom to ignore the constraints of our present and past and our universe entirely if necessary. Science fiction, as a medium, allows the author to do whatever they want.

She also seemed to be stuck on the idea that science fiction is all about space and robots, which is totally untrue. It doesn't necessarily have to be about technology at all, although it does help as a narrative device to explain the setting of the story.

Science fiction is probably the most limitless genre of fiction without delving into the supernatural (magic and such). I think that's what makes it more powerful than 'fantasy' fiction (e.g. "The Lord of the Rings"). That it deals with science and is usually at least a little plausible makes it more relatable to our own world and, to me, makes the parables and allegories between our world and the fiction world in the story stronger and more pertinent.

In general I find the people who don't like science fiction can't grasp the stories in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post

Then I kiss your eyes

AND THANK GOD WE'RE TOOOOGEEEEEETHEEEEEEEEER!

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post

That's the best part about science fiction. Marm opened this thread stating she "preferred the past [over the future]", the idea being that the 'future' is the realm within which all science fiction stories are told. That's silly of course: the only works that limit themselves to particular time periods are period pieces. Science fiction can be set in any time period, anywhere. That's the beauty of science fiction. It allows the storyteller the freedom to ignore the constraints of our present and past and our universe entirely if necessary. Science fiction, as a medium, allows the author to do whatever they want.

She also seemed to be stuck on the idea that science fiction is all about space and robots, which is totally untrue. It doesn't necessarily have to be about technology at all, although it does help as a narrative device to explain the setting of the story.

Science fiction is probably the most limitless genre of fiction without delving into the supernatural (magic and such). I think that's what makes it more powerful than 'fantasy' fiction (e.g. "The Lord of the Rings"). That it deals with science and is usually at least a little plausible makes it more relatable to our own world and, to me, makes the parables and allegories between our world and the fiction world in the story stronger and more pertinent.

In general I find the people who don't like science fiction can't grasp the stories in the first place.
    Excellent.