User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why do you hate Sci-Fi?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's boring.

8 66.67%
  • It's icky...I don't really know.

3 25.00%
  • It's stupid and unrealistic.

4 33.33%
  • It scares me.

2 16.67%
  • It doesn't scare me now, but scared me as a child and that left an impression.

5 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 91011121321 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Because you're acting like a superiority-seeking, controlling cunt who wants to put me under a microscope instead of REALLY making peace? You could have emailed me privately or repped me and asked me to turn my PMs on, or something.

But no. You do this instead.

You're trying to make yourself look better, and you're utterly disregarding your own human behavior.
    I'll give you my reasoning for apologising in public. It takes a lot more guts to do so, where when people privately apologise, they can continue maintaining a false sense of ego to their perceived audience. This is about power and control but not on my side. What I'm seeing is someone who's unwilling to ever be wrong, especially when she's wrong. That's very sad.

Also, this is the second time I've apologised to you publically, where you've thrown my apology back into my face. Not very cool.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    I'll give you my reasoning for apologising in public. It takes a lot more guts to do so, where when people privately apologise, they can continue maintaining a false sense of ego to their perceived audience. This is about power and control but not on my side. What I'm seeing is someone who's unwilling to ever be wrong, especially when she's wrong. That's very sad.

Also, this is the second time I've apologised to you publically, where you've thrown my apology back into my face. Not very cool.
    I admit I'm wrong all the time. I just don't like your tactics.

Have you ever heard the term "backhanded apology"? It means like when someone says "I'm sorry that you're upset" (but I'm not actually sorry for what I did) and then they proceed to tell you what is wrong with you instead of focusing on their own side of it, then broaching how they feel about what you did to them AFTERWARD.

I admit I'm wrong all the time. I just don't like your tactics.

Have you ever heard the term "backhanded apology"? It means like when someone says "I'm sorry that you're upset" (but I'm not actually sorry for what I did) and then they proceed to tell you what is wrong with you instead of focusing on their own side of it, then broaching how they feel about what you did to them AFTERWARD.
    These aren't tactics. I've expressed my honest opinions. No subterfuge, nothing. Examine your own behaviours because they ARE over-the-top. This was a glorious opportunity for understanding each other. But look at what it's turned into. Why does it always go this way? Why do you always perceive evil in my intent when there isn't any? Why?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

This thread has been quite entertaining, good night.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

WHO VOTED IN THIS POLL? STAND UP AND BE COUNTED SO THAT I MAY ADD YOU TO THE LIST ALONG WITH THE ENTJS!

FIX YOUR CAPS LOCK KEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    WHO VOTED IN THIS POLL? STAND UP AND BE COUNTED SO THAT I MAY ADD YOU TO THE LIST ALONG WITH THE ENTJS!
    Don't hate, bro.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    These aren't tactics. I've expressed my honest opinions. No subterfuge, nothing. Examine your own behaviours because they ARE over-the-top. This was a glorious opportunity for understanding each other. But look at what it's turned into. Why does it always go this way? Why do you always perceive evil in my intent when there isn't any? Why?
    Because you're so nasty and criticize me instead of taking any responsibility at all for your own part in it.

Why don't I have this response to EVERYONE? Think hard.

And it's not just because you're ENTJ. I get along with YWIR totally fine, aside from a few minor squabbles, and I was casually seeing an ENTJ guy at one point and he never ACCUSED me of anything or picked me apart, just said things like "oh don't let this bother you" and just handled it.

However, I do think your tactics are very NTJ-like. The focus on picking apart, analyzing, scrutinizing in order to re-gain control I've seen in other NTJs to deflect emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Science Fiction is an abstract thinkers mind point of refuge. It presents human ideas and mind sets of a possible future to prevent that possible future or to create a better one. It is on the one hand for an abstract thinker the opportunity to live out his thoughts and on the other hand for lesser abstract thinkers an opportunity to understand consequences and to see the big picture.

I am not so much afraid of machines, like I am afraid of the people using them. Without machines a lot of the luxury we have today wouldnt be possible. People still would be dieing, if a crop fails and earth population would be probably only 10% of what it is today. I am not the one to judge if that's what destiny had in mind for humanity but I am not the one to judge about who lives and who dies as well, therefore I see no way of denieing people machines.

My whole life has been devoted to mathematics and engineering, I am the impersonification of a machine builder and I build machines too that take jobs away from people. Those machines on the same hand do create new jobs and its sometimes the inflexibility of people to learn a new thing that makes the result happen of people loosing jobs. There is always a difficulty involved in an innovation process, always resulting in people loosing jobs, it has been a problem for year - thousands over the course of human history; yet the worst developments were always motivated out of human greed to earn the quick money and it wasnt the machines or the innovations doing the harm but humans.

Its never machines that harm people, its always people.

I am myself a very nature-dependant kind of guy; I am working in a 27,000 square feet huge production facility having huge drilling, milling and turning machines running everywhere, having around 500 people employed, welding, hammering, working hard all day and its loud, industrious, dirty and I am always glad when I can return to my office unhurt. But it never feels inhumane, because the people are having fun at work, are joking around, teasing each others, its a whole lot of fun running around there each day. Still when I have the opportunity to get out in the green, I am using it and my gf and me are planning to maybe have a little farm one day or at least move into a village in the outskirts.

I share the same fascination about engineering as I share the fascination about nature and as long as we ensure reasonable humans are leading us we can always have both. An engineer is a natural scientist in german and this means that all motivation about creating new things came from the fascination that is nature. And thats how it begans for me, its always how it begins.

When I am looking nowadays at a thunderstorm I dont do that without having a lot of thermodynamic principles running thru my head, thats a price you have to pay its not easy to purely enjoy beauty no more. But its people like you or my girlfriend who would help me to stay grounded and who hold me back when I am loosing sight for basic beauty and start to embark onto dangerous roads. Every action has a purpose in life, there is no opinion that is in vain.

When I am depressed or am having hard times and other people would turn to God, I turn to the stars and am overwhelmed by the vast amount of possible discoveries that are waiting out there. Ways of life by people we never never dreamt of so far, natural paradises we cant imagine in our wildest dreams. I was as a boy the same way afraid by sciene fiction like you were, I couldnt sleep for months after I watched planet of the apes or Terminator. But thats what science fiction is meant to be, its there to give us a waking call so we can emerge out of a tranquil nature that was blind for the consequences. Science Fiction predicted the nazis, it predicted what happens to peoples social skills if they live in a virtual world only, it predicted what happens to nature, when greedy industries eats its way thru it.

If we had and would listen more to what science fiction tells us and really try to understand it, a lot of troubles could have been or will be spared to us.
    I can relate to and agree with so much of this.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Because you're so nasty and criticize me instead of taking any responsibility at all for your own part in it.

Why don't I have this response to EVERYONE? Think hard.

And it's not just because you're ENTJ. I get along with YWIR totally fine, aside from a few minor squabbles, and I was casually seeing an ENTJ guy at one point and he never ACCUSED me of anything or picked me apart, just said things like "oh don't let this bother you" and just handled it.

However, I do think your tactics are very NTJ-like. The focus on picking apart, analyzing, scrutinizing in order to re-gain control I've seen in other NTJs to deflect emotion.
    Marm, do you realise how paranoid you sound when I'm being completely wide open and frank with you?

I've apologised to you, explained my reasoning behind everything and yet, you continue to accuse me of nefarious deeds, of manipulation, of trying to control.