User Tag List

First 412131415 Last

MBTI
    GONE

That took me a second to get that.

Do you think the play on words was intentional? Man, some writers are getting bored.

I remember once -- ah shoot, never mind.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post

That took me a second to get that.

Do you think the play on words was intentional? Man, some writers are getting bored.

I remember once -- ah shoot, never mind.
    It may not have been intentional to start with, but I fail to see how nobody would have realized the double meaning before it was read on the air. That show usually gets a little silly with the narration, but I've never seen anything like this.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

Did the defendents start laughing? The narration is live I think as sometimes the defendents make a face if they think the narration is dumb or chuckle.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

I've seen the same thing before, but everyone seemed oblivious to this.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    Several years ago I was riding a bicycle in this little Wyoming town. I was crossing a bridge, and there were no shoulders, so I had to ride right along the white line, partially in the lane. A guy drives past me in a car, and he has to move over into the other lane a bit to avoid me (which wasn't a problem, since there was no one else in that lane). After passing me, he opens his car door, leans out, and faces back at me so he can yell, "Get off the damn road!" Of course, he's doing all this while driving, so he comes incredibly close to actually falling out of the car. He just barely managed to pull himself back in, swerving wildly as he does because he's pulling himself in by the steering wheel. So what he actually yelled was something like, "Get off the damn rowohWOHWOHwoed!" (*door slam*)

I was laughing so hard I had to pull my bike over and stop. I was really, really disappointed that he didn't actually fall out. If he had, I would have ridden my bike up to where he lay on the pavement, looked down at him, and yelled, "Get off the damn road!"

reading this thread...and thought i'd bump it...cuz it's SO funny...haha
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Oberon

My son, age 13, walked into the living room yesterday morning while I was sitting there watching a movie with my 3-year-old daughter.

Said son was carrying two inflatable toy balls, the kind you find in those big bins in the toy section at the department store. He was carrying a ball in each hand, and he came in and sat down on the couch and rested the balls in his lap.

I looked at him and immediately started to grin. "Son..." I began, then waited.

He looked at me and made the connection. "NO!" he barked, and tossed the balls on the floor.

I couldn't resist. "Did you get tired of holding your balls?" I asked oh-so-innocently, pointing to the toys on the floor.

"I'm leaving now!" he declared, and walked out of the room. Young teens are SO easy to embarrass.

And I am SUCH a yutz of a dad.

EDIT: I hope he forgives me before he picks out my nursing home.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

^^^ haha...i love it
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Oberon

Tonight it'll be "Hey, did you hear the news? NASA just approved a ten-year, three billion dollar project to send a probe to Uranus!"

MBTI
    XNXP

EffEmDoubleyou - I've sometimes wondered the same thing you did, about performance artists doing something that they know they are poor at, in order to get laughs. I think there are plenty of people in today's audiences who will laugh for a while, even if they don't think the performer is "in" on the joke, and so I disagree with that part of what was said on this.

I read a funny novel a while back that had one character in it who was a "magician" that performed simple tricks that were so easy to understand that there was no "illusion". After a while, people began to spread the word that it was done on purpose as a kind of statement about minimalism, or that the acts were more "symbolic" than they were bamboozling etc. "The Zen magician." Artists like Rothko and Pollock ( late period , of course ) were also referenced. "Why, my kid can do that !" "Well, we should celebrate that 'kid world', then, since it is gone all too soon."
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    I read a funny novel a while back that had one character in it who was a "magician" that performed simple tricks that were so easy to understand that there was no "illusion". After a while, people began to spread the word that it was done on purpose as a kind of statement about minimalism, or that the acts were more "symbolic" than they were bamboozling etc. "The Zen magician." Artists like Rothko and Pollock ( late period , of course ) were also referenced. "Why, my kid can do that !" "Well, we should celebrate that 'kid world', then, since it is gone all too soon."
    I love this. I hope that in the book, the magician was using it as a statement about the overly intellectual silliness of art criticism, instead of just being a bad magician. I think another nice example of this is David Lynch's critically drooled over film Mulholland Dr. It's impenetrable and nonsensical to a staggering degree. I have a pet theory that Lynch created the film as a joke on critics, who generally overpraise impenetrable art films by vetted directors so they will not risk being accused of "not getting it".

Johari
    /Nohari