User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

I thought it was funny, too. And just to get people off your back, I'll tell a more offensive one.

Q: Why did Mary Magdalene follow Jesus around all the time?

(joke teller extends arms out to the sides)
    A: Because he was hung like this.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP

I thought size didn't matter. :sad:
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I thought it was funny, too. And just to get people off your back, I'll tell a more offensive one.

Q: Why did Mary Magdalene follow Jesus around all the time?

(joke teller extends arms out to the sides)
    A: Because he was hung like this.
    Subtle and possibly offensive... I love it. Mind you probably more obvious when seen live action as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    I thought size didn't matter. :sad:
    It doesn't. It'd probably work even if your knuckles do scrap the floor.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Subtle and possibly offensive... I love it. Mind you probably more obvious when seen live action as it were.
    Yeah, I broke the cardinal rule of never writing down a physical joke. But I couldn't resist.

Johari
    /Nohari

Oberon

Q: Why did Helen Keller's dog run away?

A: You'd run away too if your name was "AAHOOAAGUHGUHUABUH."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Just to ensure I risk falling out with women everywhere.

Q. Why do men die first?

A. Cause they want to.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Q: Why did Helen Keller's dog run away?

A: You'd run away too if your name was "AAHOOAAGUHGUHUABUH."
    That's odd. Usually when you call a dog with your mouth full of food they can't get there fast enough

MBTI
    INTP

Man, I leave this thread for a few hours and look what happens!

FMW:
    I think Kaufman was really more a performance artist than a comedian. He liked to push boundaries and screw around with people and sometimes it was funny, sometimes it wasn't. But he was always successful in the way that a modern artist might be successful in making people talk about their paintings, but not create a work of "beauty." I'd be angry, probably, if I was a Kaufman fan and found out I'd paid to see him and it wasn't really him. But then again, if I dug his whole schtick, maybe I'd have thought, "Hey, good one, Andy, you got me." Hmmm, it's interesting to think about.

As to the second question, I'm not sure you could be intentionally unintentionally funny, b/c by drawing people's attention to your "performance," you're creating a higher level of expectation. First, you'd feel a pressure and self-consciousness that you wouldn't feel if you were singing (or whatever) in perfect seriousness. Second, it would probably create a feeling of pity/uncomfortableness in the audience, b/c they wouldn't know you were in on the joke. In order to laugh at people intentionally, we have to know they're in on the joke. If things just happen, all bets are off, and anything is fair game to laugh at. I'm not sure any of this is making sense--I'm running on very little sleep. :-)

Tallulah, I totally agree that Kaufman was probably more a performance artist than a traditional comedian. I still struggle with whether he dealt in bad faith with the audience though. It's funny to me in retrospect, but I didn't buy a ticket. I suppose you have a point when you say as a fan of his, it's probably the kind of thing you would admire.

As for the second question, I'm not sure I was clear. I wasn't referring to the audience knowingly watching me sing sincerely and poorly...I agree that it's not funny if the audience doesn't know you're in on the joke. I was referring to a situation in which a skit may include a character that is a bad lounge singer or maybe a skit that includes karaoke singing. I wondered what to make of the decision to sincerely try to sing well in that skit, knowing that you are an awful singer and that your efforts would feel more genuine than mimicking a bad singer. As I type it a second time, I really think that the question is moot. The audience will never know which way you're doing it, and as long as they laugh I guess it's valid.

And you don't get to cite lack of sleep as an excuse...I never went to bed last night!

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESFJ

Should I post the most offensive joke I know? Well, the most offensive one that is actually funny?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"