User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Not as naked as you were in that Buick, you tramp.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Not as naked as you were in that Buick, you tramp.
    See! I KNEW it was too detailed!

Psh. If I were really pregnant, I would already be married in a happy relationship, have a job with a decent income, and be living apart from my mother.

Tramp? Puh-lease. At least I can kick your butt in Apples to Apples.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    Tramp? Puh-lease. At least I can kick your butt in Apples to Apples.
    I think you must have a fever. Maybe that's why you came up with all those hallucinations about straight Cs and abortions.

Johari
    /Nohari

Maybe it was the crack. Or maybe it was the anxiety that comes with the realization that I'm not going to do any of my homework, I'm only going to get (at best) four hours of sleep tonight, and I'm going to be sitting through five hours of classes I'm not prepared for tomorrow. Take your pick.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Whats the deal with the black box in an airplane? Why don't they just make the whole thing out of the black box?!
    And what's the point of putting those passenger conveyor belts in airports? If people need to be quicker through that area, why not just make the room smaller?
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Ever have a witty but off-topic response that you didn't post because it would have derailed the thread?

No. Never. Not one time.

In fact, if you hadn't mentioned it, the idea would never have occurred to me.

WARNING: This post is probably of interest to no one but me and may cause drowsiness.

I think a lot about why things are funny. In particular, I've been thinking lately about the difference between comedy and a mind-fuck. Is one legitimate craft and the other in bad faith? Is there a line between them that you shouldn't cross? Or is comedy an "anything goes" kind of performance art?

The best example to debate is probably Andy Kaufman. Kaufman had an alter-ego character named "Tony Clifton". "Tony Clifton" was a sleazy lounge singer, and Kaufman often performed entire shows as Clifton. The ads promoted a show by Tony Clifton, your ticket said Tony Clifton, but everyone really knew they were coming to see Andy Kaufman. Kaufman wore prosthetics, and never broke character during the show. So far, so good...just an innovative kind of comedy, and everyone knew what the deal was.

But Andy Kaufman added another dimension to it. He took advantage of the anonymous nature of the prosthetics to occasionally have his writing partner Bob Zmuda perform the Tony Clifton shows without telling anyone. The only people that knew were Kaufman, Zmuda and Kaufman's manager. Even the owners of the clubs hosting the performances didn't know. Sometimes Kaufman sat in the audience in disguise. On one occasion Bob Zmuda even appeared as Tony Clifton on the Letterman show. Zmuda was basically playing Andy Kaufman playing Tony Clifton. The audiences had a reasonable expectation that they were paying to see Andy Kaufman, when in fact he wasn't there. Kaufman's response would probably be, "You're paying to see Tony Clifton, and you got him. You're not paying to see me."

I tell the Andy Kaufman story because it's a nice intro to what's keeping me up at night. Is it still comedy if you're not trying to be funny? I realize that you can be unintentionally funny, but that's not a performance, that's an accident. Can you be intentionally unintentionally funny? Let's say I'm a terrible singer and I want to perform a bit about a terrible singer. I can do it two different ways. I can imitate a terrible singer or I can sincerely try to sing well, knowing that my sincere attempt will probably be funnier than the imitation. It's likely to be emotionally crushing to go the sincere route, but the results are likely to be better too. And like the Andy Kaufman example, the audience will never know.

Does the sincere attempt at singing count as comedy, or is it debasing yourself for a laugh?
    Was Andy Kaufman screwing the audience, or was he a daring performance artist?
    Is there even a meaningful difference between the options in these two examples?
    Does it matter that the audience will never know?

The world is falling apart, and yet this is the kind of thing that consumes my mental energy

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Setting up feminist detectors....

Riot shield... strapped to mic stand...

Chicken wire.... check...

Right let's see what the forum thinks to this semi-risque joke.
    Q. What do you say to a woman with a black eye?
    A. Nothing. You've already told her once.

(I thought that was funny when I first heard it)

Damn.. forgot the escape route. Oh well.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Right let's see what the forum thinks to this semi-risque joke.
    Q. What do you say to a woman with a black eye?
    A. Nothing. You've already told her once.
    Hahaha. Funny, since it surprises you. You automatically assume it's someone else who's hit her until the A.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    Hahaha. Funny, since it surprises you. You automatically assume it's someone else who's hit her until the A.

5 Stars to the bear for getting the nuance behind the brusque humour..

Oh yeah and something I've been saving for a while... I don't know how famous it is but I love it none the less...
    YouTube - Jeff Dunham - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?