User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Coping mechanisms

Bear with me as my mind is not focussed.

I was watching this the other day and its got me thinking (too much) about pleasure and pain and how as individuals we adapt coping mechanisms to ultimately make situations easier.

Although all of this clip raises questions which spring off in different directions, he talks towards the end about people getting shocked and those who know they are getting shocked feel the same kind of intensity each time whereas those who don't realise the switch they are flicking is actually administering a shock, feel less pain each time.

Anyway, it got me thinking about coping mechanisms and the way we can in a sense trick our minds into thinking something.

So i'm throwing this question out to you guys .. Is there a particular coping mechanism you use in life to help you cope?

I realise for each situation depending on the severity, one may endorse a different mechanism.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/08/2...ure/index.html
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ESFJ

For me, as i am sensitive to conflict if i find i am in an emotionally charged situation, i have to shut down emotionally and retreat. I usually go for long walks so i'm away from the situation and am able to logically deduce what the hell is going on.

Or i have to go to the beach and immerse myself in sensory pleasures such as the smell of the salt air, the sand under my feet and the sound of the waves crashing .. For some reason this stabilises me and allows me to .. just stop.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    So i'm throwing this question out to you guys .. Is there a particular coping mechanism you use in life to help you cope?
    Humor.

Really, honestly bad situations can lead to me compartmentalizing emotions until circumstances allow me time to deal with them.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I went on a whale watching cruise off the coast of Massachusetts. The wind was VERY cold on deck, but the feeling of being at sea was really wonderful; so now when I feel cold wind in Seattle (or wherever) I reframe the experience so it feels like the pleasure of being at sea. It seems to work.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm a big fan of denial

Humor is also the answer to anything and everything... if you can joke about it, it can't be THAT bad, can it?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

ThatGirl

A six pack of mikes light, and a microphone on vent.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The vid is interesting.. I'm very much an essentialist. How does that tie into the subject?

I get withdrawn and sullen. Then, eventually, after a day or so I break, this is marked by me gleefully imagining things are on fire. Then I get outgoing, and just a bit reckless. I start messing with people, pushing people about with my body space, that sort of thing.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

@saslou

Enneagram looks at coping mechanisms by type. This stuff is very interesting.

1's- Reaction Formation: individuals reduce or try to eliminate anxiety caused by their own thoughts, feelings, or behaviors that they consider unacceptable by responding in a manner that is the exact opposite of their real responses.

2's- Repression: individuals hide information about themselves from themselves – feelings, desires, wishes, aversions, fears, and needs – that are too difficult to acknowledge consciously. For example, Twos may feel anxious and need reassurance, but they may be only minimally aware of this. Instead of exploring these feelings or seeking comfort, the Two reassures another person who appears to be in distress.

3's- Identification: a person unconsciously incorporates attributes and characteristics of another person into his or her own personality and sense of self. Identification is a way of bolstering one’s self-esteem by forming an imaginary or real alliance with an admired person, then taking on that person’s characteristics.

4's- Introjection: counter-intuitive defense mechanism. Instead of repelling critical information and negative experiences that can cause a person anxiety or pain, individuals introject the information – that is, they fully absorb, internalize, and incorporate these data into their sense of self. Fritz Perls, the father of Gestalt Therapy, refers to this phenomenon as swallowing something whole without being able to differentiate between information that is true from information that is untrue. Fours introject negative information – and repel positive data – about themselves as a way of coping with painful information and neutralizing external threats. They prefer to deal with self-inflicted damage rather than having to respond to criticism or rejection from others.

5's- Isolation: a way for them to avoid feeling overwhelmed and empty. Fives isolate themselves by retreating into their minds, cutting themselves off from their feelings, and compartmentalizing – that is, isolating each part of themselves from the whole or the related parts. For example, Fives separate their thoughts from their feelings and/or feelings from behaviors, as well as separating their personal and work lives. Fives may also isolate themselves from other people and separate their relationships so that their friends never meet one another; in fact, some Fives even have secret lives.

6's- Projection: individuals unconsciously attribute their own unacceptable, unwanted, or disowned thoughts, emotions, motivations, attributes, and/or behaviors to others. While the projection may be positive, negative, or neutral, it occurs because the individuals who are projecting perceive the projected attributes as difficult to acknowledge or threatening to believe about themselves.

7's- Rationalization: individuals explain unacceptable thoughts, feelings, and behaviors in a way that entirely avoids or obscures their true motivations, intentions, or the effects of the behavior. When Sevens rationalize, they do so by positive reframing, justifying their behavior by explaining it in highly positive terms. Sevens use reframing to avoid pain, discomfort, sadness, guilt, and anxiety, as well as to avoid taking personal responsibility for what has occurred

8's- Denial: individuals unconsciously negate something that makes them feel anxious by disavowing its very existence. These can include thoughts, feelings, wishes, sensations, needs, and other external factors that are unacceptable to the Eight for some reason. Denial comes in a variety of forms. A person may deny the reality of the unpleasant information altogether, admit that something is true but deny or minimize its seriousness, or admit that both the information and its severity are true but deny any personal responsibility for it.

9's: Narcotization: individuals unconsciously numb themselves to avoid something that feels too large, complex, difficult, or uncomfortable to handle. Nines narcotize and distract themselves by engaging in prolonged rhythmic activities that are familiar, require very little attention, and provide comfort – for example, washing the dishes; working in the garden; continuous pleasure reading of books by the same author or within the same genre; going for a walk or a bike ride; engaging in frequent or extended casual conversations; or continuously changing channels on the TV.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    that shit is SOO good!
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire