User Tag List

12 Last

Permabanned

Default The unfunny things you say or do.

I think I'm hilarious. Not everyone agrees. There are times I do or say things that I think are funny but people just look at me like I'm retarded/weird. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced this..so this thread is about those times when you are sure you are being a comedic genius that no one quite gets...

Permabanned

Recently, I owed a friend 20 dollars. I had a coupon book so instead of paying him in cash, I attempted to "pay" him in coupons. I kept up the gag for about a minute before I realized he either didn't get it, or that he thought I was being stupid. I didn't even get a chuckle. Seriously, how is that not funny?

A girl I know was being a typical girl. In response to her question "What should I wear?", I curtly responded "I'd suggest clothes". Crickets. I still think this is hilarious...

Am I wrong??

Is there any chance it could also be about the opposite where others believe you to be a comedic genius but you don't get it yourself? I suffer from this.

"I'm going to kill you, cold-blooded"
    "LOL!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mkenya View Post
    Am I wrong??
    There's no wrong/right to this equation. The thing is that people consider your jokes to be a waste of their time and don't appreciate you making them in the first place.
    Veni, Vidi, Cessi.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

My posts on the forum?

Am I wrong??
    Yes.
    The future is for the unafraid.

Ginkgo

Recently, I owed a friend 20 dollars. I had a coupon book so instead of paying him in cash, I attempted to "pay" him in coupons. I kept up the gag for about a minute before I realized he either didn't get it, or that he thought I was being stupid. I didn't even get a chuckle. Seriously, how is that not funny?

A girl I know was being a typical girl. In response to her question "What should I wear?", I curtly responded "I'd suggest clothes". Crickets. I still think this is hilarious...

Am I wrong??
    How do you do it? Drypan?

MBTI
    GONE

I think I'm hilarious. Not everyone agrees. There are times I do or say things that I think are funny but people just look at me like I'm retarded/weird. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced this..so this thread is about those times when you are sure you are being a comedic genius that no one quite gets...
    I think you're funny. Maybe not intentionally or the way you mean. Well, specifically I think it's funny you posted this thread right after soliciting advice in another thread about the female friend who thought you were creepy.

Heeheehee...

I think this might be an Ne trait? Gawd knows there have been times I thought I was being HEELAIRIOUS and people didn't quite see eye to eye with me. Once on vacation I dressed up exactly like my brother (with the exact same tourist t-shirt we had gotten the day before) and followed him around the gift shop loudly saying, "Sir! Sir! Excuse me, sir!" and he was hissing at me under his breath telling me "Stop! Go away! Leave me alone you're embarassing me!" and I kept at it until it wasn't funny to me anymore.

Ah yes, those happy golden days.

I believe the common thread here might be that you (and I) are doing something to PIQUE someone in order for them to find it funny. Do you think Andy Kaufman is funny? I thought he was a talentless hack but that's just me. In other words, I don't think he's funny at all. And I'd bet money he's INTP. Lots of other people thought he was a "comic genius" though so In any case, when you pique someone, they aren't gonna find it funny. You are gonna find it funny and maybe other observers, but the joke doesn't rely on the person you are pique-ing to find it funny. If that makes sense.

But, yeah, I have an INTP friend and some mutual friends think of her as 'mean' or 'joyless' but she has a totally goofy sense of humor that may seem to come out of nowhere.

Some NT's have biting senses of humor (as in they're bullies or wise asses) but you aren't describing that.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Although I am generally the quiet one, I've been able to get whole rooms full of people cracking up laughing so loud they can't even catch their breaths with a witty one liner, out of no where. I think the fact people don't expect it coming from me only enhances the reaction.

I find it easy to keep a straight face for the duration of the joke, but I'm working on keeping a straight face whilest everyone is laughing their asses off. Laughter is contagious, but laughing at your own jokes is weird.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Depends what the coupons are for. Personally I feel a Monopoly Get Out of Jail Free card would be funnier.

I'd wet my pants to this one... then need to change. What a hassle...

Am I wrong??
    Sometimes things fall flat. It's a live and learn thing, trial and error. I've never been good at telling long jokes, I'm not too bad at being a smart ass.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I think this might be an Ne trait? Gawd knows there have been times I thought I was being HEELAIRIOUS and people didn't quite see eye to eye with me. Once on vacation I dressed up exactly like my brother (with the exact same tourist t-shirt we had gotten the day before) and followed him around the gift shop loudly saying, "Sir! Sir! Excuse me, sir!" and he was hissing at me under his breath telling me "Stop! Go away! Leave me alone you're embarassing me!" and I kept at it until it wasn't funny to me anymore.
    Okay, that's funny.

I don't know if you can chalk it up to Ne per se. And really, "funny" is in the individual. yes, certain things are funny to many people, but an individual person can find something funny NOT to be funny depending on their personal experiences and insecurities.

I think if your goal is to be quirky, you don't need to consider the audience. If your goal is to make someone laugh, then you have to consider the jokes you're making, your body language, context, and a bunch of things. You can even issue those one-liner jokes deadpan, then smile/laugh a beat or two late and it's a cue for them to laugh; most people will, or will melt a bit and roll their eyes to acknowledge it was a joke but they just thought it was lame... but can appreciate you acknowledged it was lame.

What I've seen here with Mkenya is kind of a blindness to how to work an audience to get laughs or convey actual intent. In the absence of cues, the behaviors and comments either annoy or confuse, rather than being read the way he would like.

Do you think Andy Kaufman is funny? I thought he was a talentless hack but that's just me. In other words, I don't think he's funny at all. And I'd bet money he's INTP.
    INTJ. He was as stubborn as hell, and kind of perfectionist in his craft, and to be honest, I don't "get" him. For INTPs, you're going to see more active juxtaposition; but Kaufman did a lot of things stemming from that Ni source that rationality can't penetrate and unravel. You can see more conscious juxtaposition ("oh, this is funny because this idea and THAT idea are nothing alike but they're being melded; or those two really different things ARE alike in this irrelevant way, so it makes sense, and...") in INTP humor. Andy, though, was speaking from a muse only he could see, and there was no explanation. It wasn't funny except for the fact that it was completely off the wall and coming out of left field. That's the Ni eccentricism at play.

(I had a minor thing with my Ni daughter when she was younger, where I'd call and instead of saying, "hi" she would just say, "Moo." And so I would play along and bark at her. And then she would make other animals noises in return. There was no connection to ANYTHING. I don't know why she would start off a phone call that way. She just... wanted to.)

I actually find him REALLY funny... but only in the sense that he was playing the crowd and they were doing just what he wanted without even realizing it, even as they were trying to NOT give him what he wanted; and, also, he never ever broke the joke. That takes either real courage or psychopathy, I'm not sure which... because some of his jokes really contributed to a negative reputation for him. I still am not sure which of his endeavors were jokes and which were real... thinking now of his wrestling days, and his blow-up responses to Lawler, his behavior on the David Letterman show, etc. I think my inability to figure out what was going on truly there is what continues to grab at my mind.

Anyway, it's why for years (and even now, I'm sure) people were suggesting he faked his own death of cancer. It's been as tenacious a claim as Obama's birth certificate, since even if someone "proves" it by producing documentation, people still suspect it's all fake.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft