MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Default earthquake!!

Wtf? On the east coast!
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Appalachian fault line got active.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Yes, and a lot of people didn't know what to do when the earthquake occurred.

I mean, look at all those people heading outside when it happened!

But yes, earthquakes on the east coast is rare, but it does happen. Just, not as often as the Pacific Ring of Fire.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

This is actually the 2nd one I've felt on the East Coast. Like 1-2 years ago there was a smaller one. Don't remember where the epicenter was, but I felt it in Maryland.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yep, it happens sometimes. Did you know that once Charleston, South Carolina experienced a 7.3 earthquake? If you look at the buildings closely, you can see stabilizing bolts on the sides of the buildings. Some of the buildings still suffer some damage. I saw a house there that was crooked, with one end at least six inches higher than the other.

It's just that the fault lines on the east coast aren't terribly active, but you do occasionally get mild earthquakes. (I remember some here in Georgia as a kid. They were minor tremors that usually felt a little like dynamite went off nearby.)

Lol, I heard some of the people in New York got on TOP of their buildings. That's possibly one of the worst places to be in a quake.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yep, that fault line actually runs under WV. I've known about it for quite some time, but there hasn't been a real earthquake there in decades.

There were huge earthquakes in the mid-West in the 19th century, btw.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

That was pretty awesome. I was changing my clothes so I could drive down to work (I was out part of the day), and everything on the walls start shaking louder and louder and the door started rattling. I have actually never been in an earthquake, so at first I was yelling at the animals to stop trying to rattle the door, then I was looking out the window for the really large tractor trailer that I expected to be pulling up at the neighbor's house... but I was thinking, "Wow, this must be a DAMNED large truck"... and I saw nothing and couldn't figure out what I was hearing. Then it stopped and I just kind of brushed it aside.

I started skimming Facebook a few minutes later and people started talking about the earthquake. I was like, "DOH."

But I'm 42 and I've never experienced one on the east coast before. That's why I had no context for it... I certainly was never expecting to experience one here. The epicenter would have been probably 160 miles SSE of me or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    This is actually the 2nd one I've felt on the East Coast. Like 1-2 years ago there was a smaller one. Don't remember where the epicenter was, but I felt it in Maryland.
    Yeah, apparently I missed that one.

People driving don't really seem to notice. Being in a quiet building certainly seems to do the trick, though.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    then I was looking out the window for the really large tractor trailer that I expected to be pulling up at the neighbor's house... but I was thinking, "Wow, this must be a DAMNED large truck"... and I saw nothing and couldn't figure out what I was hearing.
    Lol! I'm with my folks in PA right now, and we have one of those stone and lime rock quarrys just outside of town. We're used to slight tremors from them blasting, so the first words out of my mom's mouth were, "They must be blasting down at the quarry." We would have never realized what it was if she hadn't gotten on Facebook.

I wish I had been down in DC for that. It was probably pretty strong down there.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    Lol, I heard some of the people in New York got on TOP of their buildings. That's possibly one of the worst places to be in a quake.
    Yes. The best thing you can do while an earthquake occurs, and you are in a building, is to take cover immediately.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Lol! I'm with my folks in PA right now, and we have one of those stone and lime rock quarrys just outside of town. We're used to slight tremors from them blasting, so the first words out of my mom's mouth were, "They must be blasting down at the quarry." We would have never realized what it was if she hadn't gotten on Facebook. I wish I had been down in DC for that. It was probably pretty strong down there.
    I have a friend who is a national activist in Wash DC, that's where her org is located, and she basically said they all had to leave the building; and afterward, the building closed for the day, so they sent everyone home. I heard someone else say in VA they were worried about the safety of the bridges. I was driving down to work in Baltimore and reached the beltway around 2:35 or so... and got texts from friends telling me they just closed my agency and I might as well go home.

So I'm gonna guess it felt much stronger, even just 50 miles closer to the epicenter in Baltimore and then Wash DC was of course closer.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft