Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Default Your Earliest Memory

What is your earliest memory in life, and what signifigance do you think could be realted to it?

For me, my earliest memory in life was when I was but a toddler; my family and I apparently had gone for a walk in the woods near the local elemenatary school. We emerged from the edge of the woods near the outer part of the playground. For me, forests have always had a mystical-esq quality to them, there is something harmonizing about the entrance to a deep forest as well as the forest itself; as though my emergence from the forest that day was a symbol of growth.

Well, actually, my earliest memory before that was a gigantic flash of white light and confusion upon seeing things for the first time.

*repressing . . . repressing . . . repressing*

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

My first memories are cluster memories I can't really say that *this one* in particular is my very first, but I have several memories of playing in the living room during the day while my grandma was on the couch before I started kindergarten...playing with a preschool "piano" and a cash register and play telephone and puzzles and paper dolls and play-dough, as well as Strawberry Shortcake dolls, magnetic ABCs, coloring books, and a xylophone. Watching Sesame Street, the Electric Company, and early 80s sitcoms and the Muppet Show and Wonder Woman...I remember jumping on my bed listening to 45 vinyl recordings of nursery rhymes and "Snoopy and the Red Baron" and "Puff the Magic Dragon" in my Wonder Woman underoos...I have memories of sleeping in my grandparent's room when I got scared...hmmm one of my very earliest memories was actually waking up from a nightmare when I was really little because it's when I still slept in the middle room rather than the back bedroom...I remember being around my great-grandma and going to her house..playing with my sisters and cousins on the swings...being out in the front yard

I remember my early childhood EXTREMELY vividly, but I can't pinpoint the first memory. If I said I could, it would be a lie.

Hrm interesting... I've shared some of the oldest memories I can dig up with my parents and the following appears to be the oldest by their recounting.

I was around 2 years old. It was my first time swimming (i.e. floating in one of those animal inflatable tube thingies) at our apartment complex's residential pool with my parents and my father kept diving beneath the water to pull my mother under by her legs till she'd pop up laughing and yelling, but I didn't understand it was a game. I was frightened so I cried and then he stopped and they came over to console me.

I think I recall it because it was a combination of the sensation of floating unattended (thrilling, completely new sensation) and me believing that my mother was being hurt (strong fear). I can't recall details like what they were wearing or what I was wearing or any visual specifics... just general fuzzy shapes, colors, and most of all the emotional impression (fear + excitement).

Truth be told, my memory doesn't operate any differently now versus then. It's why my data recall sucks butt, but my emotional braille-reading system is virtually impossible to hack or alter by outside forces.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

I can't pin down which was my first, but I remember my old house in the USA when I was 2-3 years old or so. I remember more emotional events like when my sister used to rearrange the lawn clippings into a maze, and the first time I went out into the snow, and totally didn't expect that I would sink into the snow. When I was 'challenged' to prove the existence of the twins (my imaginary friends, a girl and a boy) and I totally expected their mother to pick me up at the front door. I think I made up some excuse about them moving to Canada and later, East Germany (when we visited Canada).
    Oh and I remember my mother showing me 'experiments', like letting a slinky go down the stairs into the basement and making a sandpit volcano.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    (my imaginary friends, a girl and a boy)
    Ohai weird...I had two imaginary friends too that were a girl and a boy...I called them Tommy and Lisa.

I also have memories of doing things like screaming in KMart when I couldn't have a Barbie that I wanted, and my grandfather bringing me oranges and Hershey bars in his lunch pail when he came home from work in the evening. He called it letting me clean out his lunchbox, but eventually I caught on that he was putting fruit and candy in there on purpose.

ReflecTcelfeR

My brother got an Nintendo 64 when I was 3? I think I was 3. I enjoy video games. Pretty exciting, I know.

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

My earliest memory is walking with my dad back from a playground where I had been swinging on the swings and just generally playing. We were walking through an alley or backstreet (as there were big fences) to get home and it was late afternoon. I remember getting tired and asking my dad to carry me home and feeling safe when he did.

For the longest time I didn’t know if it was an actual memory or if was something my brain had just made it up. I told my Oma about a couple of years ago and she was slightly shocked to say that what I was describing was the playground behind my dad’s house, that he lived in for about 6 months after he and my mum broke up. I wouldn’t have been more than two/two and a half.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecTcelfeR View Post
    My brother got an Nintendo 64 when I was 3? I think I was 3. I enjoy video games. Pretty exciting, I know.
    Yeah while I can't pinpoint one particular memory, I remember so much DETAIL about my early childhood (4 and under). Names of things, colors, what I was wearing, the way things looked around me...but I think the reason it kind of runs together is because my life had a comforting sameness for several years, I was in a very stable place with stable, older people.

The only significance I can attach to it is that I was happy, or that these memories were things that either delighted me or upset me strongly (in the case of the nightmare and being punished for screaming my head off in the discount department store). Basically strong sensory detail and emotional content and a sense of security.

I don't assign any symbolic meaning to it other than I was very lucky to have the early childhood that I did.

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yeah while I can't pinpoint one particular memory, I remember so much DETAIL about my early childhood (4 and under). Names of things, colors, what I was wearing, the way things looked around me...but I think the reason it kind of runs together is because my life had a comforting sameness for several years, I was in a very stable place with stable, older people.

The only significance I can attach to it is that I was happy, or that these memories were things that either delighted me or upset me strongly (in the case of the nightmare and being punished for screaming my head off in the discount department store). Basically strong sensory detail and emotional content and a sense of security.

I don't assign any symbolic meaning to it other than I was very lucky to have the early childhood that I did.
    But remembering that is still quite impressive, especially at such an early age.

Poking my newborn sister through the crib they'd placed her in at the hospital and asking my father if she was indeed real. I was 3.
    Veni, Vidi, Cessi.
    Likes Noon liked this post