User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Your memories may simply not be as sensory as mine, because you give priority to other kinds of thinking, I don't know. As I grew older I shifted into different kinds of thought, read more and reflected more, so I still have intense sensory memories from my entire life, but it's also mixed in with periods of being more "internal" in my head so of course my memories of certain events or time periods aren't going to have as much sensory detail.

It's not a photographic memory because I don't look at a page and memorize the words printed there like a snapshot.

I'm only left to presume it has something to do with more strongly preferring sensing or "being in the moment."

I remember in high school my ENFJ bff saying that she had a hard time conjuring up sensory imagery very strongly when she tried to meditate, when I told her about how I could meditate like say on an orange, the feel, the sight, the smell, and the taste of it.

I don't want to suggest it's absolutely linked to cognitiion though, but it might suggest that yes, you give more preference to sensing...or not.
    I'm not sure how I feel about this yet, but it does make me wonder if maybe as a child I had a stronger sensory inclination, or something. I was fortunate to grow up in and spend time in environments with a lot of bright and stimulating things like animals, flowers, travel to unusual countries, etc. But as an adult, while I can have very strong sensory enjoyment, probably I live in my head more - I can be extraordinarily oblivious to my physical surroundings and details. Not always, by any means, but sometimes it almost scares me, like I shouldn't be THAT consumed by my thoughts and the inner world, and they shouldn't shape the outer world to quite such an extent. I swear, there are days where there seem to be tons of cute guys on my commute to work and at least half of them are checking me out, and other days where everyone looks ugly and I feel hideous, and it has everything to do with my mental/emotional state.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by jimrckhnd View Post
    One of my earliest memories is being very young and my mother and father going to one of her profs house to hang out at the pool and I feel in. I remember looking at all the bubbles and finding it very interesting - and my father blasting into the water close by and snatching me out of the pool. It happened so fast I was never frightened - but I do remember those bubbles.

I don't know how usual or unusual this is but some of my most powerful memory triggers are aroma. I also remember embarassment (which probably says more about my mental health than anything else ). I will have to attempt filtering out memories that are of significant events and then try to focus on auditory and visual memories as you suggest.

One of my earliest food memories was when I was four - we were stationed in Germany and we went to the Nurnburg christmas festival and I remember standing in line for wursts - it was cold and a little snowy and the smell of those sausages... sometimes if I try very hard I can bring that actual aroma back. It's a good memory and maybe no coincidence I love wurst to this day.
    I know this has no significance to conversation at all, but I have good aroma memory too.
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 6w7, phobic
    Tritype: 6-9-2
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

"Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

Tatiana ♥

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

@SilkRoad...Hmmm I dunno. I didn't have really any opportunities to travel in fact I was home A LOT as a small child, but I was very fortunate to grow up in a quiet, beautiful, clean semi-rural area...we had a huge two acre yard and flowers and trees and there were mountains in the distance. Our house itself wasn't huge, but reasonably spacious and clean.

I feel fortunate to have had such peace and quiet and natural surroundings. Sometimes I wonder if that's why I'm such a highly sensitive person...it's almost like I come from a different time period when things were slower and more natural.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I swear, there are days where there seem to be tons of cute guys on my commute to work and at least half of them are checking me out, and other days where everyone looks ugly and I feel hideous, and it has everything to do with my mental/emotional state.
    I know what you mean! (though I'm a guy)

"The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

Tatiana ♥

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    I know this has no significance to conversation at all, but I have good aroma memory too.
    Smell is strongly linked to memory.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    Well... I don't think its insignificant. Just a few years ago I was walking through a crowded public space and I caught a very faint whiff of something and immediately my memory flashed to a woman I had dated over a decade earlier. I was cooking once in my and something hit the pan just right and bam! I was remembering eating one of the best meals of my life in a restaurant in Paris.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I have heard that aroma can be THE most powerful memory trigger. I have had moments when I've been shocked by it in a very intense and sudden manner, though it doesn't happen that often.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    @SilkRoad...Hmmm I dunno. I didn't have really any opportunities to travel in fact I was home A LOT as a small child, but I was very fortunate to grow up in a quiet, beautiful, clean semi-rural area...we had a huge two acre yard and flowers and trees and there were mountains in the distance. Our house itself wasn't huge, but reasonably spacious and clean.

I feel fortunate to have had such peace and quiet and natural surroundings. Sometimes I wonder if that's why I'm such a highly sensitive person...it's almost like I come from a different time period when things were slower and more natural.
    I just wonder about people who grew up in really grey urban settings, or without much around that was stimulating and cheerful... It would be interesting to know if there is a link to strength of memory. I have no idea, just tossing out the hypothesis.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Hate

I can remember playing my first board game.

It was called line-o-coke.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I can't pinpoint my earliest one, but most of my memories are related to my geekiness.

Playing Pokémon Silver or reading in the benches of the playground... Browsing chat rooms... Raising a friend's eyebrow for watching CCS... Playing my Nintendo 64 (my first console!)... Watching the other kids playing Yu-Gi-Oh (I was never quite into it)... Watching cartoons in the big TV in my folks' bedroom (we lived in an apartment back then)... Reading a big book about the zodiac...

Ah, good times...
    Sounds a lot like my old memories!

Tatiana ♥